Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Shockwave vs Tac-14

I'm kicking around the idea of getting one of these. I won a $200 gift card to the local shop and they have a Shockwave on the shelf for $400.

I usually prefer an 870 but I don't know if or when they'll get a Tac14 in stock.

I have no idea what I need this for but have loved them since I first saw one.

What says the brain trust? Jump on the Shockwave for $200 out of pocket, wait on the Tac14 or find something else to burn my money on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I'm kicking around the idea of getting one of these. I won a $200 gift card to the local shop and they have a Shockwave on the shelf for $400.

I usually prefer an 870 but I don't know if or when they'll get a Tac14 in stock.

I have no idea what I need this for but have loved them since I first saw one.

What says the brain trust? Jump on the Shockwave for $200 out of pocket, wait on the Tac14 or find something else to burn my money on.
    Part of me thinks these are a cheap way to start into an SBS world - get it, play with it for awhile, if you do want to make an SBS you will be into it for just over $600 depending on what stock you decide to buy after you pay the BATFE.

Site Supporter
    I must confess. For a very long time I have loved pistol gripped shotguns but usually don't advertise the fact. The truth is that I have wasted so much ammo playing with them.
    My favorite is a 20ga version, and yes, I can shoot one ok. I have both on order at my lgs and will buy the first one that arrives. My preference is Mossberg. It is true that they will not be legal in Texas until some date in September, and it's also true that I'll buy one in August if it come in. They're made in Texas. If you call Mossberg and ask if they're legal here, the question will confuse the person you talk to so don't bother calling. So what will I do with mine? I'll put it in my sock drawer where it belongs. Low recoil buckshot will do nicely. The folks who fire mini shotshells in theirs will find that these things kick too. I burned up a case in various other shotguns and failed to understand their utility. You might. I did not. Oh. I bet a Shockwave will would make a good club--like an entrench tool did for some veterans. A very good friend who served in Vietnam told me that the only NVA that he is certain that he killed was killed with an E tool. I didn't fully understand this reply and never asked for an explanation. But, if you put lead in your Shockwave handle then you...

Finally had a chance to try out my Tac-14 for the first time. It's surprisingly easy to get some good center mass hits on targets at the 7-10 yd range. I think these 'firearms' have a more uses than just a 'range toy'
    Last edited by RMF; 08-11-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Site Supporter
    I picked up a tac-14 this week. I am thinking about adding a short picatinny rail at 6:00 for an x300, adding the safety strap and a plus one magazine extension with the sling at 9:00. I haven't decided on a rear sling point yet. The XS big dot looks like a good addition but I don't want tritium.

I picked up a Shockwave but it's going to be a few weeks before I get to shoot it any. Just handling around the house it definitely feels like it'd be handy as a travel/truck gun.

I put 100 through my 870 Stakeout today. After shooting an Express pack of slugs through it, I removed the hand strap. It didn't eat me up or erode the tissue of my left hand, but it pinched and wasn't pleasant. It was also fun and easy to hold onto without the strap. I REALLY dig this gun. You can really OWN anything you can see inside the parking lot/peri-vehicular window. I'm glad a have it, and I'll probably get another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe an often-asked question: If one had an 870P and was thinking about starting the legal and procurement processes to SBS it, would you say stay the course or consider one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Maybe an often-asked question: If one had an 870P and was thinking about starting the legal and procurement processes to SBS it, would you say stay the course or consider one of these?
    Do you mean as opposed to an SBS or get one to SBS instead of SBS'ing the 870?

A stock is always better than no stock. A shockwave or a Tac-14 is no replacement for an SBS. They have their place but an SBS with a stock is much better if you can get one.

Now as a base for an SBS I think it might be easier to get a tac-14 and slap a stock on than find a 14" barrel. Cheaper too. Then again, Remington's quality has been suspect lately. I would grab the Tac-14 and run it as is to confirm reliability (which you would do anyway) and go from there.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 08-13-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Do you mean as opposed to an SBS or get one to SBS instead of SBS'ing the 870?

A stock is always better than no stock. A shockwave or a Tac-14 is no replacement for an SBS. They have their place but an SBS with a stock is much better if you can get one.

Now as a base for an SBS I think it might be easier to get a tac-14 and slap a stock on than find a 14" barrel. Cheaper too. Then again, Remington's quality has been suspect lately. I would grab the Tac-14 and run it as is to confirm reliability (which you would do anyway) and go from there.
    I meant continue with the plan to use the existing 870P as the basis for an SBS.

The alternative was look into a Tac-14 and forego the SBS entirely. By my math, a new Tac-14 by itself costs about the same as a tax stamp and barrel for an existing shotgun.

Your answer covered it. Thank you!

User Tag List