Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotguns in modern military combat

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar

Shotguns in modern military combat

This is an excellent video which describes the use of the shotgun in a portion of American SF during the GWOT era:

Mostly what you would expect, guns used as breaching tools. But they were also used as primary weapons in expected close quarters situations.

The repeating shotgun has been involved in most of the fights the US has been involved with since its invention. It was used effectively in the Philippine campaign as it turned out to have actual stopping power. It was used to a limited extent in WWI where the paper ammunition was a problem, ultimately breeding all brass shells. Of course it saw use in WWII and Vietnam as well.

Most don't know that the shotgun was even active with Taskforce Ranger. When I did 1301 armorer training the instructor was in Taskforce Ranger and related that Somalis would swarm vehicles and shotguns loaded with buckshot proved effective at peeling them off without harming personnel inside the vehicles.

But it's neat to see some firsthand information about GWOT era use and combat with the shotgun. Note that Jeff discusses the effective dose of the 12 gauge vs. 5.56 multiple times.
    3/15/2016

In watching him explain the dry hull/hole technique I wondered if they ever had any problems with the 870's self-cycling and perhaps partially ejecting the fired hull causing a FTE when dashing using that technique.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Brad Halling had this post on the a couple of days ago on the anniversary. This was him ~3 days prior to the Battle of Mogadishu. Peep the wall behind him.

http://instagram.com/p/Cx29Y8yLVs0/

If I ever have to fight through a city again I want a 1014 again.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Brad Halling had this post on the a couple of days ago on the anniversary. This was him ~3 days prior to the Battle of Mogadishu. Peep the wall behind him.

http://instagram.com/p/Cx29Y8yLVs0/
    Speaking of Brad Halling, if you haven't seen his recent Black Rifle Coffee Co. video about Gothic Serpent it is excellent.

https://youtu.be/yXFycByi1vE?si=mGCm4UmhuCmDSPWX

Site Supporter
    The Iraqi Army carried shotguns to help them deal with drones when they were fighting ISIS and both sides in Ukraine have been dragging whatever shotguns they can find to the front to try to help them deal with the constant drone threat. Like usual, while we know this is happening it’s a lot harder to figure out just how effective they actually are.

I’m no fortune teller, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a role for other than cylinder choked shotguns loaded with something like heavy goose loads in the future conflicts where small lower-altitude drones are a threat.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 10-06-2023 at 11:44 AM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    If I ever have to fight through a city again I want a 1014 again.
    Somehow our RP was issued a 1014 but the dude had a shining for the crew-server’s so we’d always take him along on presence patrols and trade the shottie off him.

Haven’t thought about that dude in a while; he’s either a Pentecostal preacher now or a serial killer.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post

Haven’t thought about that dude in a while; he’s either a Pentecostal preacher now or a serial killer.
    You say that as if “both” wasn’t an option…
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Lets just arm the US military with shotguns instead of rifles.

For some reason I don't think that would excite any military professionals with combat experience.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    You say that as if “both” wasn’t an option…

User Tag List