Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Shockwave vs Tac-14

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Has any body seen the wood stocked tac-14 in person?
    I was at a gun show today. I saw lots of regular Tac-14s, but not a single wood stocked one. I was keeping an eye out.

Chris

( incorrectly posted video )
    Last edited by elsquid; 02-17-2018 at 06:26 PM.

New guy here. I’m not a shotgun afficianodo by any stretch but just recently picked up a Rem Tac14 along with a Rem 870 Express Tactical. I have yet to put anything high end through it but have gone through about 500 rounds between the two just learning and getting fluent with proper administration. My last time out my buddy brought out his Moss Shockwave. Having shot about 20 or so rounds through that, I can’t say I’d prefer one over the other. There was nothing specific to either that was a big enough deal or even noticeable to say this over that. I know for a lot of people it’s a Ford vs Chevy argument and would definitely point to my inexperience with shotguns and say there’s very important and clear differences but from my standpoint, they’re both excellent at what they do and I doubt buying one would lead to remorse over the other.

That being said I think you look for the best deal and right now PSA has the Tac14 for $299. I just bought my 3rd one. I’m keeping one as is at home, I’m going to base my SBS on the second one and just ordered this one to keep at my other home.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Has anyone really wrung one of these out yet? Like on a timer with standard exercises?
    Not yet...I'm hoping to soon.

As it comes from the factory the Mossberg I bought is next to useless. The bead on the barrel is just entirely too low and if you use it you will end up shooting ridiculously high.

I've thought about red dots, lasers, and even sending the barrel to a gunsmith to have Remington rifle-style sights installed on the barrel...but I'm going to keep this pretty white trash by just replacing the front screw-in bead with something that sits higher and is more visible.

Based on playing with it so far it will not be as quick or efficient to use...even with a much better sights...as a stocked shotgun. It will be much, MUCH easier to miss with absent a shoulder mount.

Probably the most useful solution I've seen so far is to mount a green laser on top of the receiver with an aftermarket rail. (The Mossberg comes drilled and tapped for this) Mount a light up front and do a WHOLE LOT of practice and you might be able to get close to what you can do with a bead-sighted shotgun that has a stock.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Probably the most useful solution I've seen so far is to mount a green laser on top of the receiver with an aftermarket rail. (The Mossberg comes drilled and tapped for this) Mount a light up front and do a WHOLE LOT of practice and you might be able to get close to what you can do with a bead-sighted shotgun that has a stock.
    Back in the day, a soldier in my company mounted a laser to one of the pistol grip only breaching shotguns. With some practice, we determined that one could theoretically do some decent work with it, at least indoors. I don’t think anyone ever bothered to truly zero it, but inside 7 meters or so (which is about as far as anyone ever expected to conceivably use it) it didn’t really matter that much.

Discovered that with the laser, the best way to control it for reasonably fast follow up shots and not risk smacking yourself in the face was to brace it against your chest, sort of like shooting from what in Southnarc’s ECQC curriculum would be considered the “number three” position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe this is a stupid/obvious question, but I have not found the answer: Is there a legal restriction preventing manufacturers from building a Shockwave / Tac-14 equivalent in semi-auto? I am not a fan of running a pump shotgun where the buttstock is not seated in the cup of my shoulder. For a short shotgun, I'd rather use a semi-auto. But there are none, hence my question.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    Maybe this is a stupid/obvious question, but I have not found the answer: Is there a legal restriction preventing manufacturers from building a Shockwave / Tac-14 equivalent in semi-auto? I am not a fan of running a pump shotgun where the buttstock is not seated in the cup of my shoulder. For a short shotgun, I'd rather use a semi-auto. But there are none, hence my question.
    Would love to see anyone do this. Despite being expensive, it would be really cool if Browning did a whippet gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Would love to see anyone do this. Despite being expensive, it would be really cool if Browning did a whippet gun.
    If you can put the Moss SGA stock on 1301 with adapter, I’m assuming you could put the Shockwave “pistol” or “firearm” grip of it on the 1301. Has anyone SBS’d the 1301 into a 14” version? I’m assuming the gas system would need adjustment somehow and I don’t even know if that’s possible. But a 14” 1301 with SGA stock, the new forend, and other bits would make the ultimate shotgun for me.

With regards to accuracy, from my personal experience:
    With just the front sight bead I can consistently get 3 out of 5 birds from my clay launcher. The key obviously is to get on the bird as early as possible.
    I tried the rail and a 1x red dot I had lying around, and found it very difficult. They way you hold a shockwave makes it hard to keep things lined up as you're moving.
    Now interestingly near the end of that day, I pulled the red dot off and just used the rail as sort of really long U-notch site setup. That seemed to work pretty well, but I only got 2 tubes of shells through it like that. My next outing i'll spend some more time with it like that and see what's what.
    To be clear i'm no operator operating operationally, but the ergos of the thing make me think this is more of a point and shoot type weapon versus one you're going to be able to run-and-gun with and easily transition between moving targets.

Also, if Mossberg decided to make one with a semi-auto receiver, I'd HAVE to buy it!
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Now interestingly near the end of that day, I pulled the red dot off and just used the rail as sort of really long U-notch site setup.
    I've been pondering possible ghetto rear-sight reference setups like paint on the receiver or something to try and produce a similar effect to give that crucial read on alignment that you need when you don't have the shoulder mount. I might have to take a look at using the rail for that...
    3/15/2016

User Tag List