Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA EDC

DA/SA EDC

Looking for pros, cons, and opinions on a new DA/SA system.

I, like most others are looking for a roughly G19 size package. That's my current EDC so I am using that as a reference.

I picked up a SP2022 and set it up like my G19 with Trij HD’s, X300U, and Bravo Concealment holster. I was hoping that this would be the answer but I started another thread describing an issue I have with my support hand placement riding the decocker and giving me a dead trigger. I could modify the decock lever and try to come up with a compromise but I would like to explore other hardware options first.

I like the idea of the PX4 CC but my issue with it is the inability to run a light on that short rail. Maybe I am overemphasizing the importance of a WML but that is the deal killer for me.

I have shot a P226 in .40 which I was not a fan of and I do ride the slide release preventing lock back but that's easily fix by sliding my thumb over. There isn't a local range that rents a 226 or 229 in 9mm for me to tryout but the ethos of both feel good to me.

I have handled and shot a CZ P-01 and P-07 Duty. My only real issue with the P-07 is it seems like the trigger break is quite far back towards the frame. I had an issue with getting the trigger to break without sinking my finger up to almost the second knuckle. I have an idea that the interchangeable back straps will fix this.

So what does the knowledge base have for pros and cons on the P229 and P-07 other than price. Maybe I am missing another viable option but that where my decision lies as of now.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HK p2000 or P30. Guns are cheap, it's the ammo and mag cost that kills ya.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Why is a WML such a priority? Just curious.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    HK p2000 or P30. Guns are cheap, it's the ammo and mag cost that kills ya.
    Based purely on TLG's opinion of the P30 trigger I discounted it. Never gave any thought to the P2000. HK is running a deal on P30 mags right now, although I'm not sure that would be enough to sway me in that direction.

M9A1 compact is an option if polymer isn't a must. It's essentially a 92 compact with rail.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Why is a WML such a priority? Just curious.
    Target ID. Shooting a pistol well is difficult enough and if I have to choose between shooting freestyle with illumination on the gun or one handed with a light in the other, I like option 1.

When I'm in uniform, I carry a WML religiously and couldn't imagine not having one. The ability to shoot with both hands on the pistol while illuminating a threat is invaluable. Off-duty, I just don't see the need. If its dark enough that you need a light, the bad guy can't find you either. The most common shooting scene - parking lots - are going to be illuminated by code requirement and have more than enough light to shoot well without a WML.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

FWIW I've developed an issue with the base of my support thumb contacting the decocker on my P229. However, since the decocker on the P229 doesn't engage until farther along than the SP2022, it may not be a problem. If nothing else, modifying one's grip helps.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I personally am not a fan of flagging someone with a WML to "positively ID" them. That's where a handheld comes in. You can also easily shoot a pistol freestyle with a handheld...

But if you've made up your mind then I'd recommend either the PX4 CC, P2000 and P30 (in that order). The P30 has the same grip length as a G17 so if you're considering that you might as well consider a full size PX4. I run an Inforce APL on one of my full size PX4s and it fits and works great.

The Streamlight TLR-3 will fit on the PX4 Compact's short rail length. It will also fit on the P2000. Unsure if my Inforce APL will fit on a P2000 as I sold mine a few months back. I wouldn't recommend the Surefire XC1. Poor switch design IMO.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Off-duty, I just don't see the need. If its dark enough that you need a light, the bad guy can't find you either. The most common shooting scene - parking lots - are going to be illuminated by code requirement and have more than enough light to shoot well without a WML.
    I agree with John Hearne. Tom Givens has a lot of stuff on this on the forum and in his other writings. The current American Handgunner (Sep/Oct 2017) has an article where he comments on the 70+ defensive shootings his students have been involved in that none used a flashlight, and none felt they needed one.

Tucker Gun Leather has a FAQ comment http://www.tuckergunleather.com/faq/

Q. Does Tucker recommend carrying a defensive pistol with a light attached to an accessory rail?

A. Tucker says, "If you're on a SWAT team, go for it. If not, your pistol is a quick-response tool for a sudden and extreme self-defense situation. If you have a light on the gun, you may find it distracting enough to slow dowin your response."

User Tag List