Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: competition bullet vs self-defense

competition bullet vs self-defense

Most self-defense pistol classes spend some time making the point that you should train as you carry with regards to type of firearm and ammunition. I know that many competition shooters train with, as an example 200 gr bullets in 45 vs 230 gr. How does a competition shooter practice for self-defense with the heavier ammunition/recoil and then drop to the lighter stuff for competition without compromising the muscle memory for self-defense, or inversely affect his competition with practicing for defense? I am not asking how competition makes you a better shooter or saying one is better than the other, I am asking for how the comp shooters manage the mental/physical difference between the two. I will probably never shoot competition as I simply don't have the time or finances to dedicate to that as much fun as it sounds like it is, but I do compete with myself in the defensive arena as $$ allows in the form of ammunition, training when I can and drills when I cannot. Will it matter much to me? Well it could as the cost of material to reload can be cheaper in the lighter weight stuff. That was the basis of the question.

If you are talking about the actual ability to manage recoil of modern defensive loads, then they are either shoot those loads during competition, which goes directly against the reason to shoot compete, or they don't.

The simple answer is it's negligible at best, and unless that person competes with their carry gun then they should know exactly what the difference in POA/POI is and how different it is for defense and competition loads.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Don't overthink this.

Of all the differences between competition and defensive shooting, 12 or 14 power factor is pretty far down the list.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I carry generally whatever is on Doc's list in 9mm, typically P9HST 147 or Speer GD 124. I shoot generally the cheaper good quality ammo in 124gr for USPSA or classes.

To be honest, I don't really notice much difference in 'muscle memory' between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I carry generally whatever is on Doc's list in 9mm, typically P9HST 147 or Speer GD 124. I shoot generally the cheaper good quality ammo in 124gr for USPSA or classes.

To be honest, I don't really notice much difference in 'muscle memory' between the two.
    Ditto. I often will shoot some multi chambered carry rounds in my practice and don't really notice much difference. I shoot USPSA but shoot factory stuff. Around 2 months ago, while vetting a pistol for carry, I shot 1 of my stages with that pistol and my carry ammo - maybe noticed a little more pop+ noise but nothing spectacular. One of the guys watching noticed and asked what ammo I was shooting though, so it must have been a little noticeable.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Don't overthink this.

Of all the differences between competition and defensive shooting, 12 or 14 power factor is pretty far down the list.
    This.

The small differences in recoil pulse are irrelevant.

Site Supporter
    You mean to tell me you've never practiced with some fodder 115gr and then loaded up your mag of 124gr +P carry ammo for the trip home?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

For years I've exclusively shot Speer Lawman, which has a reputation of being hotter than average. At the chrono stage of sectionals last fall, I came in at 142 PF with 115gr Lawman in my Glock 17. Curiosity finally got the best of me this spring -- am I putting myself at a disadvantage? -- and I chrono'd a bunch of different factory ammo. As a few points of reference, my chrono put 115gr Lawman at 136 PF, 124gr Lawman at 148 PF, and 124gr+P Gold Dots at 151 PF. In contrast, a competition-oriented 147gr load from Atlanta Arms came in at 131 PF. I measured approximately 15% less muzzle rise with the Atlanta Arms 147gr compared to Lawman 115gr, and in limited testing I did observe faster splits while maintaining a given level of accuracy with the Atlanta Arms ammo.

Based on what I've seen, I believe ammo does make a difference in performance, but I don't think there is any reason to be concerned about the difference between training/competition ammo and self defense ammo in the way you are asking. There are any number of other factors that could have a much greater impact on recoil management than ammo -- wet hands, a bad grip, awkward shooting positions, movement, injury, adrenaline, just to name a few. Shooting should be driven by your sights, and evaluation of whether another shot should be fired...if you haven't already, see the excellent thread on split times in a defensive context.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    This.

The small differences in recoil pulse are irrelevant.
    Agreed. My carry ammo chronos ~137 PF out of my carry gun. My match/practice ammo comes in at ~130. Yes, you can notice the difference, but it's nothing ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Don't overthink this.

Yeah, this is effectively a myth when it comes to modern semiautos. It may have been somewhat valid when the prevailing methods were training with .38 special wadcutters and loading up .357 magnum ammo for duty or carry although even then . . .
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List