Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoeger Double Defense

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    However, I will rule out an autoloader right off. I owned an early production Mossy 930 of some tactical variety. It sucked. It was a single shot shotgun at best ... on a good day. I had to send it back. It ran OK when it returned but I never felt confident with it after that. I know there are great autoloaders to be had but they are just as expensive or more expensive than my AR setup is. It would also require lots of rounds downrange to insure proper function AND I'd have to spend a lot of time learning to run it well. If I'm going through all that hassle then I'll just use my AR for HD.
    I wouldn't paint the whole semi auto shotgun market with the ugly brush based on a bad experience with one particular model. My second pistol was a 1911 with problems, but I'm not writing off semi auto pistols because of it. If your needs are HD, and simplicity is the name of the game, a quality semi auto shotgun makes good sense. A lot of the designs in the past have had issues, but something like the licensed/Turkish made Beretta actions are very good.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

We are diminished
    Vol -- Talk to Eric Lund. You have an amazing shotgun resource in your backyard. My guess is that he can get you over your distaste for semiauto shotguns in about 1.8 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    I wouldn't paint the whole semi auto shotgun market with the ugly brush based on a bad experience with one particular model. My second pistol was a 1911 with problems, but I'm not writing off semi auto pistols because of it. If your needs are HD, and simplicity is the name of the game, a quality semi auto shotgun makes good sense. A lot of the designs in the past have had issues, but something like the licensed/Turkish made Beretta actions are very good.

J.Ja
    I agree wholeheartedly about not painting the lot based on one. My point was I would have to step up to something much more expensive to get a better shot at quality than what I had before. I would also have to run a lot of rounds, train, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Vol -- Talk to Eric Lund. You have an amazing shotgun resource in your backyard. My guess is that he can get you over your distaste for semiauto shotguns in about 1.8 seconds.
    Agreed. I have taken a couple of pistol and carbine classes from Erik. He usually does a shotgun course once per year in ATL but the timing still hasn't worked out for me to get in one yet. I will eventually even if I don't plan to use a shotgun for a HD gun. I'd still like the skill.

I agree wholeheartedly about not painting the lot based on one. My point was I would have to step up to something much more expensive to get a better shot at quality than what I had before. I would also have to run a lot of rounds, train, etc.
    Good semi autos aren't as expensive as you think... and bad ones are often more expensive! But you're right for sure that most of the good ones are pricey.

I think, deep down in your heart of hearts, you really just need to succumb to the call of the Taurus Judge. The guy at my local gun shop tells me that this is an ideal home defense gun, and that it's especially useful for preventing car jackings.

J.Ja

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    I think, deep down in your heart of hearts, you really just need to succumb to the call of the Taurus Judge. The guy at my local gun shop tells me that this is an ideal home defense gun, and that it's especially useful for preventing car jackings.

J.Ja
    Only if Hordnady makes some of that new fangled Zombie ammo for it. Then I'll get me a Judge.

Only if Hordnady makes some of that new fangled Zombie ammo for it. Then I'll get me a Judge.
    This explains why you are so interested in the SxS... "Mad Max" + "Zombie Max" 12 gauge (http://www.hornady.com/store/12-Ga-00-Z-MAX/), for the ultimate in end of world memes.

J.Ja

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The automatic safety might be an issue. It automatically engages when you open the gun.

The best source of information about the Stoeger coach guns would be the cowboy action shooting community. Several gunsmiths offer packages to make them better competition guns -- don't know if those changes would also make sense for defensive use.
    Every side x side bird gun I've ever used was configured this way.
    You snick off the safety ( it's right on the tang) on the way to shouldering it.
    Becomes second nature quickly.

I'm a pump guy.
    I've seen too many autos go down hard in training and competition.
    Winchester 1300 Defender 8+1 is hanging over my closet right now.
    Benelli Nova SP 7+1 is my 3-gun and spare HD shottie.
    Serbu Super Shorty will be my office desk drawer gun once I bring it home.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt C. View Post
    Every side x side bird gun I've ever used was configured this way.
    You snick off the safety ( it's right on the tang) on the way to shouldering it.
    Becomes second nature quickly.
    QFT.

I shoot clays informally pretty regularly durning the warm months in NM. I use a savage SxS in .410, and the safety operates in this exact fashion. As anyone that has shot clays can tell you, the shots develop quickly (very quickly if your using a little .410). I leave my gun on safe and in the ready position until the bird is in the air (see, informal, and hardly good technique), the safety slides off as I begin tracking the bird and am shouldering the gun. In the thousands of times I've done this, I've never failed to disengage the safety. It is a very natural thing once you learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I actually had a Double Defense for a while, in 12 gauge. It was actually...you know what, it was awesome as hell and I wish I'd never sold it. I put an aimpoint on mine, and it was about as dirt-simple an HD gun as you can get.
    Caleb ... Did you ever do a review of this gun or blog about it? I searched your site but each time I tried to click past page 1 of the results it takes me back to the home page.

User Tag List