Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoeger Double Defense

For HD, for the same money you could get a good new autoloader. The Weatherby SA line is a licensed Beretta A390 action, and can be had at Walmart for $427. They make an HD model with pistol grip at 19" barrel for a bit more. Mine (I have the full sized model) is a reliable, gentle shooting shotgun. I just can't imagine a SxS ever being a better bet than an autoloader (as long as it's not totally unreliable) or a pump action for HD needs.

Now, if you just want something that looks cool, the Stoeger fills the bill. I believe that the Stoeger's are the same as Norinco's and/or NEFs, so it may be possible to get the same model under a different brand a save some bucks.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Site Supporter
    Here's another element, so let's go ahead and address the capacity, you've got two rounds... then what? I mean insert cowboy action shotgun speed rig joke here. Not to be smart about it, but how fast do you think you could reload from a belt, (So, windows breaking, you grab your SxS), do you throw a belt of 12 GA rounds around your neck and head out in the night, or put on a belt, or run a side saddle off the rear of the gun?

Not only that, let's get down to it. Let's suspend all of that theorem. An over under will be faster and more consistent on target, target transitions and shot to shot, with say slugs or shot than a SXS. Honestly an O/U, will be pretty much get the front bead on whatever within 25-50 yards and you're going to hit it or pepper it at least with shot, with either the bottom or top barrel, so you don't have to compensate if for some reason you were running slugs and a red dot out to those distances.

But, that's my take on it. I don't think anybody's going to jump down your throat for wanting a gun here. But, what you expect, and what you substitute for it? Is it Ideal? I think that's where you'll find your friction.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Capacity and complexity of reloading are pretty much the immediate issues.

ETA: I mean it gets back to this... for around the same size/weight you can haul a gun with 4 times the capacity, not just that, but in a shotgun. Remember the last time you thought how much easier it was to re-load and load a shotgun compared to every other firearm made? Because that's never happened for me. Just my experience, but at this point I will re-emphasize, I think coach guns are great, I plan to buy one (eventually) I just would not want to throw a red dot on one and light and go investigating suspicious sounds late at night in a dark house with it as my source of protection.
    Good points by all and nothing really unexpected thus far.

Here's my deal on long guns for HD ... for my situation. I don't keep long guns in the house for HD. They are all locked up in the safe. My reasons include but are not limited to; no easy way to safely secure one from theft or kids while at the same time allowing quick access if needed, don't want a $1500 AR/Aimpoint setup stolen if the house gets broken in, wife would prob shot me with it for thinking it was acceptable to have an AR sitting in the corner beside her nice bed and pretty curtains. A handgun is much easier to secure/store/access and is my go-to in the house HD gun.

So how does the coach gun play into this? Well, doesn't really change much except it would be less painful to lose a $400 shotgun if stolen. It would also be a decent alternative for the wife over a pump shotgun or AR. Prob doesn't matter much as it would prob live in the safe with the others anyway. I just think it's cool. I don't see myself mounting optics on a coach gun (although cool). Personally, I'd put a white light up front and perhaps a sling. That's about it. For me a shotgun (of any variety) isn't a patrol gun, it's a stand your ground gun. If I had to go on patrol around the house/property I'd get my AR for that.

Another thought, the strongest argument against the coach gun thus far is the low capacity. This is a VERY valid point. However, I'd freely admit I have never trained with a pump shotgun. My experience is watching the Magpul Art of the Dynamic Shotgun ... which frankly didn't impress me too much, no offense. I have always been a little uncomortable handling a pump shotgun given my lack of training and experience with one. I feel very confident with a handgun and feel pretty confident with a carbine. Given that and the fact I will prob not practice enough with a pump to keep any learned skills up I am not sure I should focus much on a pump. Yes, they hold more rounds but if you can't run one at a high skill level it might not be the best choice. Maybe?

I say buy one.
    Of course i'm buying a Serbu Super Shorty, so who am I to throw stones?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    It would also be a decent alternative for the wife over a pump shotgun or AR. Prob doesn't matter much as it would prob live in the safe with the others anyway. I just think it's cool. I don't see myself mounting optics on a coach gun (although cool). Personally, I'd put a white light up front and perhaps a sling. That's about it. For me a shotgun (of any variety) isn't a patrol gun, it's a stand your ground gun. If I had to go on patrol around the house/property I'd get my AR for that.

Another thought, the strongest argument against the coach gun thus far is the low capacity. This is a VERY valid point. However, I'd freely admit I have never trained with a pump shotgun. My experience is watching the Magpul Art of the Dynamic Shotgun ... which frankly didn't impress me too much, no offense. I have always been a little uncomortable handling a pump shotgun given my lack of training and experience with one. I feel very confident with a handgun and feel pretty confident with a carbine. Given that and the fact I will prob not practice enough with a pump to keep any learned skills up I am not sure I should focus much on a pump. Yes, they hold more rounds but if you can't run one at a high skill level it might not be the best choice. Maybe?
    Let's think about the required skills. If you keep a double loaded, the skill required to fire is to flip off the safety and pull the trigger. To fire again, pull the trigger again. If there's a malfunction, or you need more than two shots, you break the gun open, reload, and try again. If that doesn't work, you're out of luck.

With a semi-auto, if you keep it loaded, the skill required to fire is to flip off the safety and pull the trigger. To fire again, pull the trigger again. You have 4-8 shots until you have to reload. If there's a malfunction, you manually cycle the bolt handle and try again. If that doesn't work there are more steps, but you're probably no worse off than you would be with the double.

A pump is probably the most complex choice for the user for the second shot. Every shot requires a complete cycle of the forearm before pulling the trigger. Short-stroking under stress is common for inexperienced users. If you need more than two shots, you have still to cycle the forearm but you don't have to manually reload as you would with the double.

A gas-operated semi will have the least felt recoil of the common action types with the same loads.

I have a 12 ga double barrel Baikal Bounty Hunter II Coach gun beside the bed. It has a butt cuff with 5 low recoil 00 buck rounds. I originally got when we were shooting Cowboy.

Advantages: I often have grandkids running around. I leave it unloaded beside the bed for safety. If needed I can break it open, load 2 rounds and be ready. It is easy to load and unload and easy to see if it is empty or loaded. It is 2 guns in one. If one barrel/action breaks, you still have a complete single shot gun.

Disadvantages: It only holds 2 rounds. It only has a brass bead front sight.

I like that you can mount a light on the Stoeger. It's also Tactical Black, which increases the cool factor.

Of course, I also have a Glock with a light mounted in the night stand. It's also unloaded with 2 mags beside it for safety. Both guns are 2 movements away from shooting someone by mistake before I can wake up.

Bill

peterb ... good comparison of the different types of shotguns.

However, I will rule out an autoloader right off. I owned an early production Mossy 930 of some tactical variety. It sucked. It was a single shot shotgun at best ... on a good day. I had to send it back. It ran OK when it returned but I never felt confident with it after that. I know there are great autoloaders to be had but they are just as expensive or more expensive than my AR setup is. It would also require lots of rounds downrange to insure proper function AND I'd have to spend a lot of time learning to run it well. If I'm going through all that hassle then I'll just use my AR for HD.

Pump shotgun ... I have one. I've only fired 100rds or so at most through it for function testing. I like it. I just don't feel confident with it. IF I wanted to put it in the house for HD I'd want to put a lot more rounds downrange to insure proper function AND I'd have to spend a lot of time learning to run it well. If I'm going through all that hassle then I'll just use my AR for HD.

I've always relied solely on a pistol for HD so the coach gun would actually be more of a supplement to my GLOCK rather than a replacement. If the Chief calls me and says they are tracking 2 burglary suspects on the ground with K9s (which happened last night in another part of the county) and I feel the need to beef up security I'm getting my AR out of the safe regardless, shotguns will step aside.

So which of you dealers wants to make me a stupid cheap deal on one of these?

I like the simplicity of it, and I like the handiness of it. I prefer an 870P for my personal use, but I also understand that the SxS would be a simpler operation for many. My only drawback is the ported barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by jlweems View Post
    I like the simplicity of it, and I like the handiness of it. I prefer an 870P for my personal use, but I also understand that the SxS would be a simpler operation for many. My only drawback is the ported barrels.
    Tell the Sheriff to go find us a couple at a good price then.

I think you're crazy but you already knew that.
    In honor of AW2 Jason Edward Lawson (The Law). We'll never forget you.
    http://www.tourohio.com/fleetaw/Memorial/Lawson.html

User Tag List