Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Stoeger Double Defense

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Is a SxS the best choice? No.
    Is it obsolete? Not by a long shot.
    Agree 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Still, I don't see the point of the tacticool SxS unless it just gets you going and you've got hundreds of bucks to burn.
    Bingo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ed l View Post
    There is always the possibility of misses, people who may need to be shot more than once, and more than two home invaders, and any combination of the three. Given these factors, along with the fact that you can have a good pump gun for less than the price of a double, I question the sense of choosing to buy a double over a pump gun if you are buying a gun specifically for home defense.

Then when you start talking about things like adding a red dot sight on the rail I have to think you would be better off spending the money that you would have spent for the railed double and the red dot sight on a shotgun that does not have to be reloaded every two rounds.
    I can only speak for me but let me turn the first statement around a bit. I am buying one of these because I think it's cool as hell. Because I have no other practical reason to buy one I am saying it's for HD. It's not like it would make a carry weapon anyway, right?

Yes, you can buy a decent pump gun for less. However, I've already addressed that several times. I also have no plans to put a red dot on this shotgun. I am not even going to install the top rail. I already have several different choices for white light on hand. I already have a stockpile of Ranger Low Recoil Buckshot on hand as well. There will be no additional expense beyond the shotgun itself.

I was/am talking about in an issued or approved patrol capacity or other capacity where it is intended for lethal force use against a hostile person, as should be obvious from the context of the thread and my statements. I am not talking about breaching or less lethal.

The thread is not about breaching shotguns or less lethal shotguns. The person who started the thread did not ask about a breaching shotgun or a lesslethal shotgun or using the shotgun in question in such a capacity. The discussion of this thread is clearly about home defense shotguns.

Sir, you said no agency was using them. That is clearly not correct. There are cops that tote them on patrol by choice (I have firsthand knowledge of this), and there are specialty applications for which they are actually chosen.

I was/am talking about in an issued or approved patrol capacity or other capacity where it is intended for lethal force use against a hostile person, as should be obvious from the context of the thread and my statements. I am not talking about breaching or less lethal.
    The Chief can speak for himself (and I'm sure he will), however, it must remembered there are many, many, many LEO agencies out there and not all are mainstream. As the guy that signs the form for all weapons approved for duty use (for his agency) he might be on to something. The funny thing is the Sheriff is planning to buy himself one of these too ... after seeing my posts. I see him sporting an old school wheel gun on duty quite frequently.
    Last edited by VolGrad; 01-07-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: added a disclaimer

Quote Originally Posted by jlweems View Post
    Sir, you said no agency was using them. That is clearly not correct. There are cops that tote them on patrol by choice (I have firsthand knowledge of this), and there are specialty applications for which they are actually chosen.
    Okay, I was making a generalization and I was wrong--like when someone says 'no one does it anymore' and there are actually some people left who indeed 'do it,' but what the person really means is almost no one does it. It is an colloquialism that people often use in speech which is imprecise in the written word that we are dealing with here.

In fact, it probably should not be used in written communication because of its imprecision.

I was wrong. I admit it.

Are you happy?

The thread clearly isn't about breahing or lesslethal shotguns or that use or specialty applications, and that is not what anyone but you were referencing.

Okay, I was making a generalization and I was wrong--like when someone says 'no one does it anymore' and there are actually some people left who indeed 'do it,' but what the person really means is almost no one does it. It is an colloquialism that people often use in speech which is imprecise in the written word that we are dealing with here.

In fact, it probably should not be used in written communication because of its imprecision.

I was wrong. I admit it.

Are you happy?

The thread clearly isn't about breahing or lesslethal shotguns or that use or specialty applications, and that is not what anyone but you were referencing.
    OMFG.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I was wrong. I admit it.

Are you happy?

Easy now. You said "no". You failed to take into account the specialty applications, but once you clarified Patrol use, I pointed out that I have firsthand knowledge of patrol cops that carry them by choice.

I'm all for people carrying/using platforms with which they are comfortable. I personally use an old 870P. VolGrad is choosing to arm himself with a SXS, and his reasons are perfectly valid for him. He wants it to protect his home and family. He isn't taking it out on patrol.

I picked it up today, brought it home, then mounted a DD offset light mount for a SureFire G2LED. It's pretty sweet. I'll get some pics later. I love the compact size. It is pretty tight still so I need to work the action a bunch and find the sweet spot for lube so it opens easier.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    I picked it up today, brought it home, then mounted a DD offset light mount for a SureFire G2LED. It's pretty sweet. I'll get some pics later. I love the compact size. It is pretty tight still so I need to work the action a bunch and find the sweet spot for lube so it opens easier.
    Come shoot some clays with it. It will get you used to the safety and the manual of arms.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Nice!

My only shotgun is a Mossberg 500 Tactical, but if Kel Tec ever gets a production run into distribution on their bullpup KSG 7+7+1 shotgun, I might have to have one. And someday maybe an AA-12

The first and only side-by-side I ever shot was my Granddad's 10-gauge goose gun when I was about 10 years old. Thing must have been 5 feet long and weighed 20 pounds, or at least it seemed that way at the time. I was so worried about the kick and had such a death grip on the gun that I managed to pull both triggers at the same time. Somehow I was able to remain standing, but I thought my Granddad would fall over laughing. For some reason I haven't been too drawn to double barrel guns since then.
    "You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." -- Jeff Cooper, in "Principles Of Personal Defense"

User Tag List