Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NYPD to armor all patrol cars and command vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    We have armor panels in a few newer cars, because we have a bunch of lazy fucks that can't reach over to the door close and kick them against the hinges, they are already going out of service with broken door hinges. And that's with reinforced hinges.

$4 million sounds about right. Up armor 20 cars, let the patrol guys break them, stop because "you boys ruin everything" and spend $3.5 million on a pet project.
    Had a guy I work with used to do that all the time. Like not even hold the door when he's getting in just kicked the door each time. Fat lazy fucker he was.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I'm sure that's enough, at least enough to equip the cars of everyone holding the rank of Deputy Chief and above.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I'd bet somebody's buddy is going to get that $4 million for a "feasibility study" that will last until the furor dies down.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Just buy new vehicles. It will only be that much more than basically retrofitting any car that has the proper setup to take on the extra weight AND be the patrol car it needs to be in NYC. Forget any older vehicles (just not even worth it for lifespan issues) and I would wager any of their newer vehicles will have those new lighter unibody chassis that can't handle the weight. 4 Million isn't even scratching the surface when it comes to pricing out costs, installation, maintenance on any sort of armored non tactical vehicle.

I love FAVs but I also hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by heyscooter View Post
    Just buy new vehicles. It will only be that much more than basically retrofitting any car that has the proper setup to take on the extra weight AND be the patrol car it needs to be in NYC. Forget any older vehicles (just not even worth it for lifespan issues) and I would wager any of their newer vehicles will have those new lighter unibody chassis that can't handle the weight. 4 Million isn't even scratching the surface when it comes to pricing out costs, installation, maintenance on any sort of armored non tactical vehicle.

I love FAVs but I also hate them.
    While up-armored, I can't imagine they're even considering FAVs. That's completely impractical in almost every facet for a patrol car.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    While up-armored, I can't imagine they're even considering FAVs. That's completely impractical in almost every facet for a patrol car.
    No you're right, I should've clarified that while FAVs are not the solution here, the concepts are the same: You're going to weigh down a car, even if you're considering glass and paneling for, say, the front cab portion. I've driven a Toyota Hilux pickup that only has the armor for the cab, and the weight gain is still considerable. I'm not aware of a non-tactical armored setup (FAV or LAV) that is going to not affect this.

We get the factory ballistic panels in our cars. I thinks it's 3A. Doors are heavier but not bad.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    They will start with the mayor's car, the chiefs car and stop when they run out if $$.
    I'd be willing to bet the mayor and PC's vehicles are already armored.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

As far as I understand the article, the state of NY supports the city of NY with the 4.000.000$. So I guess the budget will be more than 4.000.000$.
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'd be willing to bet the mayor and PC's vehicles are already armored.
    That'd be something, and wouldn't surprise me. If I recall when the PC drove past me one time in 2012 in NYC and it didn't look armored.

User Tag List