Thread: UTV Long Gun Carry

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

UTV Long Gun Carry

Thought I’d toss this here. It really doesn’t belong in the “Holster/EDC” forum.

Picked up a long gun mount for a UTV. It mounts on the roof bars behind/above the seats. This was chosen over the floor mount to both keep it more out of the way and allow for the dog, who seems to be quite fond of hopping in and riding around. The plan is to keep either a dedicated carbine of some kind (most likely a levergun, Mini, or 870) for use on predators or perhaps security. Private property, UTV will not be left in a “public” area. Conditions can get dusty, however there is a roof, lexan solid rear window and front windscreen. Windowless doors. It will be out of direct element exposure. Vehicle carry (either 4 wheeled or 4 legged) entirely new to me. How does one go about keeping the action and barrel relatively clean and operable for use? The old “balloon over the muzzle” trick may suffice for the front end, but wondering on ideas for the action. For those folks here who are rural and wander the hills, how do you do this?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

The types I've seen are a kydex like shell with a matching cap over the rifle butt making it essentially protected. Is this more like an open ended holster similar to a lever action setup mounted on a horse and saddle? One of those soft socks with a draw string closure would help keep out dust but would slow your access and not help with inclement weather.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I only hobnob with one individual who regularly hauls a long gun in his Polaris, and he uses what I can only describe as a traditional "frontier" deerskin "scabbard" that looks a bit like something out of a Russell or Remington painting. It is not form-fitting, but not obnoxiously loose, and is long at the butt in order to fold over and tie up with thongs (it is more of a dust cover that looks discreet than it is a protective case).

I have told him it needs some bead or quillwork, and he invariably agrees... as ling as I will do it gratis.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I've hauled hunting rifles, shotguns, and AR's many miles on ATV's and UTV's using Kolpin gun boots and mounting systems. It has been a while, and I'm not up to speed on their latest products, but the ones I used served me satisfactorily for several years.

https://www.kolpin.com/en-us/?campai...0aArUfEALw_wcB

Might just have the wife whip up an “action sleeve” similar to what was used on Mausers, Enfields and such. Use some cordura and Velcro. Whole thing is a “mission-in-progress” so really don’t know what will ultimately end us as a solution to the need. I’d like to stay away from a hard case or sleeve as that’s going to eat into the headroom in the cab. Also would like to stay away from external mounting on the backside of the cab frame.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Thought I’d toss this here. It really doesn’t belong in the “Holster/EDC” forum.

Picked up a long gun mount for a UTV. It mounts on the roof bars behind/above the seats. This was chosen over the floor mount to both keep it more out of the way and allow for the dog, who seems to be quite fond of hopping in and riding around. The plan is to keep either a dedicated carbine of some kind (most likely a levergun, Mini, or 870) for use on predators or perhaps security. Private property, UTV will not be left in a “public” area. Conditions can get dusty, however there is a roof, lexan solid rear window and front windscreen. Windowless doors. It will be out of direct element exposure. Vehicle carry (either 4 wheeled or 4 legged) entirely new to me. How does one go about keeping the action and barrel relatively clean and operable for use? The old “balloon over the muzzle” trick may suffice for the front end, but wondering on ideas for the action. For those folks here who are rural and wander the hills, how do you do this?
    I assume you mean a rack such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Day-Cen.../dp/B00C3OJCGE

As long as you're not tooling around with the actions open, and bring the guns back inside when you're done, and wipe them off now and again, I think you'll be fine. Working guns get plenty dusty on horseback and in patrol car racks, and don't suffer terribly for it.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Might just have the wife whip up an “action sleeve” similar to what was used on Mausers, Enfields and such. Use some cordura and Velcro. Whole thing is a “mission-in-progress” so really don’t know what will ultimately end us as a solution to the need. I’d like to stay away from a hard case or sleeve as that’s going to eat into the headroom in the cab. Also would like to stay away from external mounting on the backside of the cab frame.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Some scrap fabric, velcro, and some sort of finger loop to facilitate quick and easy removal might be just the ticket. Or better yet, do it in a taco style. Handle on top, opening on the bottom, just enough velcro or snaps or magnets to hold it on the gun but you can rip it off like starting a chainsaw.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Name:  8275C337-BE7C-49C1-9938-A281F1CDD5C2.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  44.4 KB

Current set up using 870. No, I don’t hit my head. Gun actually sits further up/back from how it looks. Plus I’m short so...

Keeping it from banging around is likely the main concern.

Iv mostly carried rifles in my truck laying on the passenger side floor leaning against the seat, some muzzle up, some muzzle down. They get wear on whatever they touch (floor, seat) from the dust and movement. Ages ago in window or behind the seat gun racks, and for a while in a leather saddle scabbard behind the truck seat (extra cab pickup), scabbard attached to a dog shelf behind the front seat.

On the motorcycle I used a soft leather case, open on the back end, bungy corded to the bike against the bedroll/sissy bar on the back and against the side of the bike. The times I took an SP1 AR on the bike I just carried it slung on my back, I didnt have a case that fit it. If I had a girl with me they carried it across their lap between us upside down, muzzle left. 20 rd mags are your friend. They arent really very handy to carry on a bike compared to regular Fudd/classic type guns, but it can be done.

Pondering how to carry on the sidecar rig, probably a leather saddle scabbard attached to the inboard side of the sidecar, butt rearward.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-14-2024 at 11:18 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List