Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: CZ Scorpion Evo thread

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    So an update on my experience with the EVO3 so far.

In short - I’m really liking this little gun. About 200 rounds down the pipe including a mixture of ball and hollow points. I went a little wild with accessories before the fact (which is something I always tell people NOT to do). Turns out I have no real need for the safety delete as the standard safety does not contact my trigger finger when firing and the extended paddle release (Strike Industries) seems to be more trouble than it is worth - the paddle is too low for how I grip the magazine and it is prone to accidentally releasing the magazine due to sling entanglement so I ended up re-installing the factory mag release. The MagPul pistol grip as well the HB Industries trigger springs were good enhancements. I topped it with a Vortex Crossfire II optic with the low mount that gives me a good co-witness and keeps the low profile of the gun. Finally I found a V-Tac 2-point sling that wasn’t being used and purposed it for the EVO3. A HK style front clip and a quick release sling plugged into the pistol brace works great both in the traditional sling uses and for pushing out under tension when firing without the brace extended.

While I tend to agree that the rifle length PCCs come up short versus rifles in a personal defense application, this EVO pistol is so compact it really is more a semi-automatic sub gun than a PCC. Very tempted to move it into the HD role. With that, what defensive ammo are people running? I have 124+P and 127 +P+ as my standard defensive rounds. It seems that 16inch PCCs tend to favor the 147 grain rounds as the increased velocity causes the lighter bullets to fragment early, but I would think that mid weight bullets should do fine with the modest velocity increase of the 7.7 inch EVO3 barrel. Anyone have any numbers on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    From reading this thread it seems that single point sling is the way to go? I'm firmly in the 2-point world so a little out of my element. Will a 2-point work? What single point is working well? V-Tac? Vickers?
    I tried a BFG 221 sling in single point configuration, and hated it, even though I had my barrel chopped to 5", and switched back to a two-point sling.

So, with the upcoming brace ban- does anyone have the 16"+ carbine barrels in stock?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I tried to zero the gun a couple days ago and had some issues with flyers. Most were just a couple inches off but a few were a foot or more at 25 yards. I noted that the optic was a little loose* so I tightened it down and got an acceptable zero with both optic and irons. The loose optic explained the small flyers but the big ones? When cleaning the gun I noticed what looked like a split barrel! Horrified I removed the flash hider to find this.

Name:  IMG_6668.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  45.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_6667.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  40.7 KB

The barrel, muzzle and crown were all in good shape but the thread protector had apparently worked itself loose and had been hit a few times by rounds, splitting it and wedging it inside the compensator. A brief google search reviled that I am not the first person to experience this, there is a fairly large thread on Reddit about it and a YouTube video where a dude shoots the front end of the compensator off. I was able to get the thread protector free of the comp and went about contacting CZ-USA about the issue. They wanted me to send the gun back to them but given that everything looks good (I will confirm it zero's well when I get the chance) I asked them if they could just send me a replacement thread protector. They didn't have any in stock but said they would send me one when they get some more.

So, just a quick heads up to go ahead and check the thread protector on your guns to make sure it is secured before it loosens itself. Frankly I think the protector is superfluous as the compensator covers the 1/2" x 28 threads. I can definitely understand why Kalashnikov went with the LH thread for the AK.

* To make my day even crappier I overtightend the base screw at the range so when I went home to remount the optic I found that I had snapped the base screw. Fortunately I was able to cannibalize the parts needed from the taller base Vortex shipped. A quick email to Vortex resulted in replacement parts for both bases less than a week after the fact (still shouldn't have happened in the first place but.....)

I think I’m at the final configuration here*. I started with the OEM stock, then tried a Zhukov stock on HBI adapter (pic is upthread) - but I really wanted to try a Haga Defense modified ACR. The Haga finally came back into stock a few months ago and I grabbed one. I finally got to the range with it over the weekend - it’s a winner. I’ll be selling off the Zhukov, I think. The ACR fits me better, has great adjustable cheekweld and definitely reduces the effect of recoil due to the straight line design compared to the CZ stock - with the original stock it was a cheek slapper.

* Still needs a KeyMicro FH for when I finally get a Wolfman

Name:  DE685F36-D252-4992-BD63-456C84CA1B4F.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  100.0 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I think I’m at the final configuration here*. I started with the OEM stock, then tried a Zhukov stock on HBI adapter (pic is upthread) - but I really wanted to try a Haga Defense modified ACR. The Haga finally came back into stock a few months ago and I grabbed one. I finally got to the range with it over the weekend - it’s a winner. I’ll be selling off the Zhukov, I think. The ACR fits me better, has great adjustable cheekweld and definitely reduces the effect of recoil due to the straight line design compared to the CZ stock - with the original stock it was a cheek slapper.

* Still needs a KeyMicro FH for when I finally get a Wolfman

Name:  DE685F36-D252-4992-BD63-456C84CA1B4F.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  100.0 KB
    Nice!

Do you still have the OEM stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Nice!

Do you still have the OEM stock?
    Yep! I was planning to hang on to it since it’s OEM. It’s more compact and lighter, just not as comfortable to shoot.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Damn it. KeyMicro FH ordered.
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Name:  Screenshot_20230324_144851_Instagram.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  59.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    Name:  Screenshot_20230324_144851_Instagram.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  59.7 KB
    That’s really tempting but I already have no shortage of 22LR understudies. I wonder if the stocks will be lower grade copies of the original or the real deal?

Frankly- I would have rather them re-release the EVO Carbine….

User Tag List