Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: g17 mags in a g19

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Got any pics on concealing the pmag 21?
    I back pocket it for a carry reload.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

About 5-6 years ago I was taking a class at Firearms Academy of Seattle with a G19 and a mixture of 15 and 17 round magazines. One of the students near me stopped me before the next relay to inform me that my magazine wasn't fully seated and was going to fall out; I guess he'd never heard of or seen anyone use 17 round magazines in a 15 round gun. Like breakingtime91 said, G17 mags are easier to reload; they're a little easier to grasp out of a mag pouch and I don't ever pinch my hand when I slam it home like I do occasionally with the G19 mags.

I've never had a functional problem shooting a 17 magazine in a 19.

When shooting, I sometimes spot the longer magazine in my peripheral vision. Because I don't use the 17 magazines all the time, I sometimes have a brief moment of thinking the magazine may not be fully inserted, as philpac33 noted. It's funny how something that doesn't "look right" can catch one's attention.

Site Supporter
    I only carry G17 mags as reloads for all my Glocks. 17, 19, and 26.

Just a heads up, if you google this issue, or search some other gun related boards, you'll find a particular internet-famous instructor who will insist your G19 will choke if you put at a G17 mag in it, and if you dare argue with him, will insult your manhood and maybe even challenge you to a duel.

He's full of shite though.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Why use a 17 mag when you can use a 21 round Magpul Magazine or 22rnd ets magazine?
    I agree completely with Voodoo on this. Away from work, I carry a Gen 3 -19 and my reload is a 21rd Magpul magazine. At work, I carry a Gen 4 -17 and my reloads are all 21rd Magpul mags.

eta: Away from work, my reload rides in my off-side front pocket in a DeSantis pocket mag pouch.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 07-13-2017 at 01:42 AM.

Koy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I've got ETS and Magpul mags, thousands of rounds through each, I use them as primary training mags, no issues. No signs of issues.

OEM mags offer nothing over aftermarket mags. The odd few mags that had issues were likely part of initial run issues.

I remember when pmags came out and people were like "these suck! So many issues! Stick to metal mags!! You'll die in the street with them!" Yet they are standard issue now in many places.

Less dogma.
    I have confidence in my Magpul G19 mags. Not the same confidence in my ETS mags. Still use OEM for carry. G19 magazine for reload because 1) I'm not worried about it and 2) i carry enough shit as it is - need to preserve some residual pocket/beltline real estate.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 07-13-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I have confidence in my Magpul G19 mags.
    Yep. I run a chopped G17 and magpul G19 15rd is my carry mag. OEM 17rd is backup. I'll try a Magpul 21rd someday.

Site Supporter
    I have a few 17 and 21 round Magpul mags and like them. I have enough rounds through the 17rnd to trust it but haven't gotten to that point with the 21 yet.

My EDC reload is in a pocket so a 17rnd works well for my office NPE. Otherwise out and about carry the reload is on the belt and is a G17+2. Hoping the 21rnd Magpul will eventually take over in that role.

User Tag List