Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: g17 mags in a g19

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    G19 mags in the gun. G17 for a reload. Why go with anything other than oem?
    For some people, the lure of a few extra cartridges, trumps the accumulated experience of millions of pistols, tens of millions of magazines, and decades of manufacturer experience getting the pistol/magazine/follower combination as stable as it is now with the Glock and 9mm magazines.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For some people, the lure of a few extra cartridges, trumps the accumulated experience of millions of pistols, tens of millions of magazines, and decades of manufacturer experience getting the pistol/magazine/follower combination as stable as it is now with the Glock and 9mm magazines.
    I have been walking around with 32 rounds of 9mm, didn't know it would get me killed on the streets.

It is also personality driven -- some folks like being early adopters. I do on a bunch of stuff, just not on aircraft and carry guns. I really like the idea that gazillions of people went ahead of me, making every possible mistake to stress the equipment, and cause the manufacturer to improve the product by incorporating fixes to design away weak points.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have to confess the market for ETS and Magpul Glock magazines does confuse me. And I like Magpul.

It's not like Mec-Gar for Berettas and Sigs. That gets you a nice increase for no downside at all in reliability. All my 92-series guns use 18-round Mec-Gars because they have as good a track record as OEM Beretta with increased capacity. They're also the same price or cheaper.

But Glock magazines are already excellent capacity and perhaps the most vetted pistol magazines out there.

I get it for range time and game guns, I guess, but for serious-use guns I wouldn't touch anything but OEM. The ETS ones look neat but apparently that's it.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I've got ETS and Magpul mags, thousands of rounds through each, I use them as primary training mags, no issues. No signs of issues.

OEM mags offer nothing over aftermarket mags. The odd few mags that had issues were likely part of initial run issues.

I remember when pmags came out and people were like "these suck! So many issues! Stick to metal mags!! You'll die in the street with them!" Yet they are standard issue now in many places.

Less dogma.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    Is there any reason not to use g17 mags in a g19 unaltered (without an adapter)?
    With some designs, over-insertion can be an issue. One of our Homicide Detectives who shoots a bit traded in his issued M&P9c for a issued M&P9 because he had bent two ejectors by using full sized magazines and oversetting them when shooting a stage.

The Glock design has this little shoulder built into the magazine that prevents this over-nsertion issue. So there's no reason not to use a Glock 17 magazine as a reload for the Glock 19.

I personally use OEM magazines in all of my Glocks, except for the Glock 26. I recently started using the MagPul 12 round magazine in my G26. The MagPul Glock 19 and Glock 17 size magazines might be great magazines, but I've been using the OEM 15 and 17 rd magazines for so many years, I see no reason to change at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    G19 mags in the gun. G17 for a reload. Why go with anything other than oem?
    I don't feel under-gunned with an OEM G19 mag as the reload either.

Only non OEM magazine I've ever carried in a Glock has been the 12 rounder from Magpul in my G26 after all five of mine have proven flawless. (An OEM Glock magazine always rides shotgun OWB or AIWB.)

Otherwise, I wouldn't consider a non-OEM magazine in any of my Glocks except for range time and training.
    Last edited by blues; 07-09-2017 at 08:24 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I don't feel under-gunned with an OEM G19 mag as the reload either.

Only non OEM magazine I've ever carried in a Glock has been the 12 rounder from Magpul in my G26 after all five of mine have proven flawless. (An OEM Glock magazine always rides shotgun OWB or AIWB.)

Otherwise, I wouldn't consider a non-OEM magazine in any of my Glocks except for range time and training.
    I wouldn't either. G17 mag is a lot easier for me to actually reload with

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Why use a 17 mag when you can use a 21 round Magpul Magazine or 22rnd ets magazine?
    Got any pics on concealing the pmag 21?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The marginal gain in lowered price and increased rounds is far offset by the demonstrated durability and reliability of OEM Glock magazines. I have yet to hear of ANY account where a LEO or defensive shooting was compromised by insufficient rounds in OEM Glock magazines.

If you're that concerned about it, my recommendation is to simply carry an additional OEM magazine.

If you're placed in a position with a pistol where you need to be using a crew-served weapon, you might want to re-think your overall grasp of strategy.

Best, Jon

User Tag List