Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S &W 686 question

S &W 686 question

Is the firing pin part of the hammer? Is that small diameter piece on front of hammer what actually strikes the primer?
    Also, if you drop the pistol on the hammer, can it make the gun fire?

Site Supporter
    If your 686 has a small diameter pin on the front of it that is the firing pin. Most modern smith and Wesson revolvers have a hammer safety inside to prevent it from firing unless the trigger is pulled.

Not a revolver expert but I believe that the 686-4 is the last with the firing pin on the hammer

(The 4 does not signify barrel length but the design version of the model) if that what you call it

Mine was bought new in 1986 and does have the pin on the hammer. So I'm guessing it would fire if got dropped on hammer when loaded

No, it will not. The hammer block is between the frame and hammer lower down inside, below the firing pin. They changed to the current hammer block in the 1940s. The hammer block has nothing to do with where the firing pin is, either in the hammer nose, or in the frame, it operates the same either way.
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-08-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks, good to know. I could feel resistance to forward movement but w/o disassembly I couldn't tell

There's a good animation of the internal workings of a Smith revolver here:

http://www.genitron.com/Basics/Interactive-Revolver
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    Mine was bought new in 1986 and does have the pin on the hammer. So I'm guessing it would fire if got dropped on hammer when loaded
    No, there is a gadget inside the frame that prevents it. All S&W revolvers since about WWII have been drop-safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    No, there is a gadget inside the frame that prevents it. All S&W revolvers since about WWII have been drop-safe.
    You can check for yourself. EMPTY GUN. Look at the revolver from the side so you can see the FP show through the frame after you lower the hammer while keeping the trigger held back. You should see it sticking out. Then let the trigger forward easy, the FP will retract. After it has disappeared push on the hammer spur, it should feel physically blocked.

I believe the rebound slide is what pulls the hammer back after firing and trigger release, and holds the hammer at rebound position. The hammer block is sort of idling all the time unless the hammer is somehow forced past where tis at rest on the rebound slide. In effect, it shouldn't ever be stressed (or broken) unless the gun was dropped on the hammer or it was struck hard somehow.

That's a contrast to the transfer bar type safeties most know of (but is commonly misunderstood, and sometimes believed Smith "went to transfer bars"), the transfer bar is impacted/stressed every time the gun fires. They do break now and then, especially with much dry fire. Ive broken 3 in Ruger single actions. The point of this is I feel the Smith hammer block is morally superior, as its not ever impacted or stressed unless it stopped an accidental firing from impact.

User Tag List