Thread: Can someone explain this optics setup?

Can someone explain this optics setup?

Was watching Netflix and decided to check out Miami Swat. The show is a few years old and provides some interesting background noise while I'm at work. This scene catches my attention as the team is about to make entry on a home. His AR has no back up irons, but has an ACOG and Eotech. First time I've ever seen this, maybe I'm missing something here. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Belt and Suspenders?????
    Or, more likely a poorly staged scene...Dude does kind'a look like JCVD.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Or... someone told him about magnifiers with RDS, and he decided to try it for himself. How many pics have we seen where a cop had his optic mounted backwards?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Based on his eye position it looks like he's using the little pistol-sight nubs on top of the ACOG anyway.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Or... someone told him about magnifiers with RDS, and he decided to try it for himself. How many pics have we seen where a cop had his optic mounted backwards?
    It's the modern field expedient method of taking shelter in a safe space by appearing to be further from the action.
    Last edited by blues; 07-08-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It's the modern field expedient method of taking shelter in a safe space by appearing to be further from the action.
    "Why didn't you take the shot!? He was across the room!"
    "You're crazy! I couldn't take the shot, he was at least 300 yards away!"
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

That and he's bridging the gap between the upper and handguards with the eotech. Gasp!

Cops have been known on occasion to stage stupid stuff when then cameras are rolling, just cause. Usually it involves parading giant dildos out of a meth house, but when the opportunity arises.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Here is your explanation: Most cops are not gun people. He doesn't know what he is doing and he is not alone.

Believe me, I understand that most cops aren't gun people. But a department the size of Miami-Dade PD (4700 sworn) that has a full time SWAT team has to have some squared away guys. You're paid to train and go out on callouts every single day. I'm not sure if someone saw my thread here but another picture was posted on the Primary & Secondary FB group about the same setup. The consensus seemed to be that the Acogs were 1033 items with burned out tritium vials. They were using them as magnifiers for the Eotechs. Doesn't make much sense but that seems to be the story behind this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Believe me, I understand that most cops aren't gun people. But a department the size of Miami-Dade PD (4700 sworn) that has a full time SWAT team has to have some squared away guys. You're paid to train and go out on callouts every single day. I'm not sure if someone saw my thread here but another picture was posted on the Primary & Secondary FB group about the same setup. The consensus seemed to be that the Acogs were 1033 items with burned out tritium vials. They were using them as magnifiers for the Eotechs. Doesn't make much sense but that seems to be the story behind this setup.
    And I'm sure they do. The ones I worked alongside for 17 years through 2004, anyway. (With the same exceptions as any other outfit.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List