Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Easy Triggers"

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Haha! That's exactly what I was thinking. A Glock with a minus or a Beretta 92 with a lighter mainspring is not really in the nice category. Very usable? Yeah.

I don't think any pistol trigger is a crutch if it's safe, reliable, and in a gun that you will actually carry/use.

Pistols are hard enough to shoot, making them harder was never a smart idea IMO.

See, that's how used to OEM triggers I am that I feel like a (-) connector or lighter TDA pull is cheating. Haha

It is pretty easy to think the "other" trigger is always easier than what you have.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    See, that's how used to OEM triggers I am that I feel like a (-) connector or lighter TDA pull is cheating. Haha
    I think I remember one of the bet shooters on this board saying the used a NY1 setup in his Glock for a good while before going to the (-) connector and standard TRS package. I didn't know about the D spring for a good while on my Beretta journey, so my first 6 months or so was spent with the original spring. Managing that heavier mainspring made the new D spring seem lighter than it was at first for sure, but, considering the D is the OEM spring in the 92D which was sold to more than a few LE agencies, I hardly consider it a "cheater" part. Same for the (-) connector.

I do think it can be beneficial to run a heavier trigger for a time and that you can learn a good deal from it. You can probably even get to a pretty solid level of performance with one. If you want to be a USPSA GM or whatever, then yeah, you're probably gonna want a pretty good trigger job sooner or later because it is a bit easier.

For a carry gun, I would not want a 2 pound trigger, either SA or striker fired. That's too little feedback for me to be comfortable with. But all the springs and stuff we stick in 92's and PX4's, I don't think I've seen a report of a SA trigger that light yet on one of those. Maybe on some of the CZ game guns, but the emphasis there is "game gun."
    Last edited by Jared; 07-08-2017 at 05:05 AM.

Brian Enos recommends new shooters use heavier triggers to learn proper follow through on the trigger pull. Granted he's talking about competition and he's referring to a 3 lb trigger versus a 2 lb trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I will echo what others have alluded to, it only matters if you switch guns. There is a lot of value to having, just one gun. If you must have different guns then having the same trigger and sights is the next best thing. This is a similar idea as the OWB/IWB/AIWB debate. I like AIWB, my boss made me wear my police pistol OWB at 3-4 o'clock. Switching from AIWB and 3-4 o'clock caused me problems. Because of that, it was 3-4 o'clock for on and off duty.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is pretty easy to think the "other" trigger is always easier than what you have.
    So true - Also, works for "gun", "holster", "sights", etc.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

I agree with much of what Les has written above.

I think triggers on the extreme edges of the norm, very light or very heavy, can affect ones overall ability, but normal pistol triggers are so similar I think we are mostly just splitting hairs in terms of performance.

I attended a few pistol and rifle classes with an RCMP officer who shot her duty gun, a Smith 5906. These guns have a truely horrid DAO trigger. At the end of one class the instructor shot a bullet hole in each of our targets at 7 yards and asked us to shoot that hole, or as close to as we could. She did well and put a few rounds into a little cluster around the 9mm hole. When I shot, at the time I was using a G17 with a 3.5 connector and NY1 trigger spring, I shot right through the original hole and holstered my gun. The RCMP officer immediately said "I want to shoot again, but with your gun". The instructor set up the drill and using my Glock, she shot right through the 9mm hole and turned around with a huge smile.

So I think her horrible trigger masked her fundamental skills. But like I said above, the 5906 has a truely horrible trigger. Give that officer any other regular duty pistol trigger and she could shoot rings around most shooters.

All that being said, I do really prefer a shorter reset in a trigger. I notice a pretty big speed difference on DAO guns (with acceptable triggers like my 92D) or guns with a longer than normal reset. I tested this in competition and DAO triggers are just not competitive in that world. Accuracy is about the same and in pistol courses, the DAO does just fine.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 07-08-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    So true - Also, works for "gun", "holster", "sights", etc.
    Partners, girlfriends, boyfriends, bosses, jobs, responsibilities, hardships faced...

Takeaway: You can choose to be proficient with your tools...or not. But you can't always blame the arrow if you're a lazy unmotivated Indian.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Here is my take on this...as it is something I also somewhat run into frequently.

I am an average joe trying to acquire well above average pistol shooting skills. I have unlimited ambition for pistol shooting. At the same time I have highly restricted time and some restraint on budget.

I have to find a combination of hardware that will maximize results given scarce resources of mostly time.

A Glock trigger is "easier" for me to shoot well than a TDA despite the fact that 'passion of the gun' says to stick with a 92.

So the total time required to achieve a specific performance goal is lower, and usually by a large margin, with a Glock trigger.

This is for me.

The Glock simply fits my hand better and the trigger is easier to reach and actuate.
    Last edited by fixer; 07-08-2017 at 11:16 AM.

I have read that the Walther PPQ factory trigger is too easy, putting it in the same category as other makes of target pistol; easy to shoot when you have nothing but the shot to think about but unsuitable for carry. Or is that "internet experts" running down a good service pistol? I have only shot a PPQ once and thought it a good trigger as such things go, but not scary light.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List