Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Easy Triggers"

I dunno... I've only recently begun to really appreciate a "good trigger". For me, the results (e.g. the target), is what is most important.

I can shoot nicer triggers, revolver triggers, bad triggers, good triggers, sliding triggers, hinge triggers, etc. The fundamental is still the same:

Line up the sight and slap the trigger without disturbing the sights.

It is really that easy, mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I dunno... I've only recently begun to really appreciate a "good trigger". For me, the results (e.g. the target), is what is most important.

I can shoot nicer triggers, revolver triggers, bad triggers, good triggers, sliding triggers, hinge triggers, etc. The fundamental is still the same:

Line up the sight and slap the trigger without disturbing the sights.

It is really that easy, mentally.

Like, if I handed you a stock as f___ 92FS right now, would it bother you at all?

I take some pride that this is what I cut my teeth on (or a stock as f___ Gen 3 G19).

I think beginners should learn to shoot with an easy trigger. Too many people get started with a junk trigger and never learn the fundamentals because the gun is so hard to shoot. Triggers don't need to be super light, but shouldn't have glitches in them.

More experienced shooters can shoot anything well, but a good trigger will always give better hits.

Do I detect an idea of "a harder to use trigger fits one to shoot better" in some posts here?
    I don't believe such an idea is necessarily true at all.

The purpose of the trigger is to actuate the ignition of the chambered round with as little disturbance of the sight picture/barrel alignment as possible.

Why make that more difficult rather than easier, except perhaps some of the time, just for practice' sake, but certainly not on a daily-carried CCW pistol?

I don't think there's a more advantageous pistol trigger than a tuned single action 1911 trigger (not that we all should have to carry 1911s), yet purposely choosing a truly-nasty trigger, such as a long DA/SA trigger for a daily CCW use gun, makes no good sense.

If OTOH such a trigger is a requirement, as for mandated duty use on an issued pistol, then practicing with an even harder, more difficult trigger of the same style, could make very good sense.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

In my opinion learning how to shoot one kind of trigger (good,bad,or otherwise) to a high level is what matters. The skills learned in that process will assist in shooting other triggers well. The important thing is learning how to find that sweet spot. The balance of timing, tracking the sights, seeing the target, managing recoil, handling stress...the process of accurate shots on target and an acceptable speed.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I honestly think you are thinking to much of it

You should not feel guilty of shooting whatever "insert" trigger. Different guns and action types have different characteristics. Those characteristics have "pros" and "cons". Use what works for you and continue on.

You said you shoot a stock Glock trigger 97% of the time, so rock that and don't worry about it.
    Last edited by EVP; 07-07-2017 at 09:03 PM.

I'll add one more thing, though its qualitative and not quantitive...

I found that I typically shoot all of handguns very similarly accuracy across the board, regardless of striker/TDA/SA. I wonder if this just further supports the 'dont worry about it' camp.

What a world we live in, where a minus connector is considered a good trigger!

I'd call it an acceptable trigger.

I got my Glocks down to about 5# and then quit fussing with them.

I don't think that's a crutch.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    What a world we live in, where a minus connector is considered a good trigger!

I'd call it an acceptable trigger.

I got my Glocks down to about 5# and then quit fussing with them.

I don't think that's a crutch.
    Haha! That's exactly what I was thinking. A Glock with a minus or a Beretta 92 with a lighter mainspring is not really in the nice category. Very usable? Yeah.

I don't think any pistol trigger is a crutch if it's safe, reliable, and in a gun that you will actually carry/use.

Pistols are hard enough to shoot, making them harder was never a smart idea IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Like, if I handed you a stock as f___ 92FS right now, would it bother you at all?

I take some pride that this is what I cut my teeth on (or a stock as f___ Gen 3 G19).
    I think what I'm getting at is: if it truly is the trigger holding you back and keeping you from executing the fundamentals, you might do yourself a favor and start looking at some gear optimization. I think people obsess over the minutiae of triggers and forget that being able to execute the fundamentals is most important.

Ok, so stopping with the "zen bs" for a sec - I think stock CZ, Glock, Sig, S&W, Beretta, HK, etc triggers are all pretty much in the same boat: They're all very useable. (I don't think anyone makes a truly horrible or unusable trigger anymore...)

I think anyone can learn to be exactingly accurate, say, being able to do Dot Torture (as opposed to Garcia dots) with any one of those triggers.

More experienced shooters can shoot anything well, but a good trigger will always give better hits.
    I don't think it is that simple... At minimum it is def. not "always".

In my opinion learning how to shoot one kind of trigger (good,bad,or otherwise) to a high level is what matters. The skills learned in that process will assist in shooting other triggers well. The important thing is learning how to find that sweet spot. The balance of timing, tracking the sights, seeing the target, managing recoil, handling stress...the process of accurate shots on target and an acceptable speed.
    This kinda gets at it... Though I don't think it is just solely "learning the trigger". I think that people progress the whole ability. And by that I mean learning to shoot in general, with good results, what you brung to the dance.

User Tag List