Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Easy Triggers"

"Easy Triggers"

How should a student of pistol shooting approach the subject of easy triggers?

By this I mean a good 1911 trigger, a Glock with a (-) connector, a TDA with a slick trigger job/mainspring, etc..

Are these crutches, or do you earn the right to shoot them once you meet a certain level? I'm asking this as someone who shoots bone stock pistols regularly.

Does shooting "easier" guns bring you an opportunity cost of something else?

I recently bought a G.34 which I still haven't fired and it has a (-) connector. I also acquired a semi-grail gun, a WC Brig Tac that has been worked over by WC already. Both of them have what I'd call easy triggers; so much so, that they make me feel kind of guilty over some fear that such ease will bring some kind of complacency.

am I thinking too much into it?

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    How should a student of pistol shooting approach the subject of easy triggers?

By this I mean a good 1911 trigger, a Glock with a (-) connector, a TDA with a slick trigger job/mainspring, etc..

Are these crutches, or do you earn the right to shoot them once you meet a certain level? I'm asking this as someone who shoots bone stock pistols regularly.

I recently bought a G.34 which I still haven't fired and it has a (-) connector. I also acquired a semi-grail gun, a WC Brig Tac that has been worked over by WC already. Both of them have what I'd call easy triggers; so much so, that they make me feel kind of guilty over some fear that such ease will bring some kind of complacency.

am I thinking too much into it?
    I think you should train with the type of firearm(s) and configuration you are most likely to encounter on the job you seek. When the call comes, you'll be ready. That doesn't mean that there aren't a dozen other ways to get to Dublin but it does mean that your level of familiarity will help your confidence. Just my two cents.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The factory 1911 trigger is a standard trigger. Certain other triggers are made to be more difficult to satisfy the bureaucrats worried about lawsuits. Standard triggers are not a crutch, difficult triggers are a handicap
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I think you should train with the type of firearm(s) and configuration you are most likely to encounter on the job you seek. When the call comes, you'll be ready. That doesn't mean that there aren't a dozen other ways to get to Dublin but it does mean that your level of familiarity will help your confidence. Just my two cents.

That's why 97% of my shooting factually involves stock 9mm Glock triggers, actually.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Depending on how you define "crutch", yes. There are some guns which require a much better application of the fundamentals to shoot as well as some guns that are just...easier. That may not be the same gun for everyone, ie a gun that's too big for your hand is harder to shoot than one that fits properly.

A more aggressive texture is a crutch. It increases your grip without you actually getting stronger or improving your fundamentals.
    A lighter trigger is a crutch. It's easier to hold the gun on target as you manipulate it.
    High visibility sights are a crutch. Easier to find and track under movement.

Etc. Etc.

The cost is you can be sloppier and still get good results. It's harder to see what you're doing wrong when the gear is covering up for you. The upside is...you can be sloppier and still get good results. It's called "easier" for a reason. Sure, you could practice and get damn good with a 17-lb DA early Colt Police Positive with tiny sights, a grip that's made for munchkins, and a trigger pull like an all day sucker. You'd probably be a lot better a lot faster with a Glock 17 9mm and Dawson Precision sights.

Like anything, though, diminishing returns sets in, particularly in the realm of real world carry.

FWIW, I have Sig do the AEP on my carry pistols. I use a GI trigger in my ARs. I'm satisfied that I'm holding the hardware back, not vice versa.

That's why 97% of my shooting factually involves stock 9mm Glock triggers, actually.
    Well then...as long as you're factually and actually doing that I think you're wholly and realistically on the path to succeeding once you are finally employed by the Dept. of Redundancy Dept. (Don't knock it...the benefits are good.)

And speaking of triggers, you know we're all pulling for you.
    Last edited by blues; 07-07-2017 at 02:30 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I think this is an outstanding PF "caliber" topic!!! Kudos.

IMO an easy trigger is a bit of a crutch with qualifiers. One qualifier is what your super duper accustomed to. I got to the point that last year I could not match my Glock 9mm precision or speed hits with my custom .45's trigger. The muscle I used on my Glocks was snatchero'ing my 1911. So the great trigger on my custom was no longer a crutch.

That's why I decided to re-learn to use that single action this year. But once back up to speed with it, I am exceeding what I can do for precision and consistency with the easier trigger.

So I am not opposed to calling an easier trigger a crutch to one degree or another. Sticks and stones right? But hits make me smile.

And just because the worlds greatest shooters can throw away their crutch and shoot harder triggers well, does not mean they don't also shoot easy triggers even better. Which they pretty much universally do and universally choose when the $$$ or titles are on the line right?

And re TDA's, I mean really nice ones like yours; the DA might be smooth as silk but I wouldn't call it a crutch. But the prize is getting to its crutch SA goodness right? Right?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Inconceivable double post. 503 error.
    Last edited by JHC; 07-07-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: doubled
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    And re TDA's, I mean really nice ones like yours; the DA might be smooth as silk but I wouldn't call it a crutch. But the prize is getting to its crutch SA goodness right? Right?

Man, one remark on my new Brig Tac 92---the DA is so smooth (and I've shot 92s plenty) that i wouldnt even be upset if it were DAO. LOL

For purposes of carry, I have my admittedly nonscientific and very subjective criteria of what carry-worthy (or carry safe) triggers are. If given trigger meets these criteria, I don't care if someone thinks it is too light or it is a crutch. For purposes of skill development, it is very easy to take these same guns and stick in a heavier mainspring or connector or TRS and run with it for some time. I've done on a regular basis in the past.

User Tag List