Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Mayberry?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    I grew up in mayberry. Great schools, great neighborhoods yada yada yada. We had a family who was held hostage overnight, father was beaten with a baseball bat several times, tied up in the basement and left for dead. They arrived at the house at roughly 0300 and held the family until the banks opened in the morning. Suspect 1 takes mother to bank to withdraw 15k in cash and then returns home. Both suspects promised the family that they would be unharmed as long as they got the $. While suspect 1 is at the bank. #2 ties up, rapes and photographs said girls (11 and 15) and pours gasoline throughout the first and second floors of the colonial home. #1 arrives from bank with mom, strangles her with a piece of romex from the garage at which time #2 lights gasoline and away they go. At 21 years of age and with very little real world experience, responding to and searching that home as a volunteer firefighter was life-changing.

Evil is everywhere and it knows no bounds...
    Name:  Hayes,_steven.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  10.5 KBName:  Komisarjevsky,_joshua.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  10.9 KB
    2 Low life weak clowns .. I had the pleasure of bouncing one of them off a wall once.

10-4, was just telling my wife that every year about this time their faces show up on the local news and brings back some experiences that at 21 years old I'm not sure I was ready to live through. 10 years later I'm a completely different man, but my experiences that day shaped my view of the world right, wrong or indifferent, you don't experience those things and pass them off as mundane.
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 07-18-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Site Supporter
    Having grown up in a even-smaller version of Mayberry, and now living in a city that is as far away from Mayberry as one could imagine, I feel 2 particular differences:

Even though the per-capita bad guy ratio might not be ridiculously different, in Mayberry you knew everyone. So you either absolutely knew the bad guys, or you absolutely knew someone was a stranger.

Re: "it takes a village", I literally lived in a village. Everyone watched out for one another. I always said I had 65 sets of parents growing up (I think we had roughly that many houses). Where I live now there are maybe 3 houses looking out for one another, and probably 1000x the population density.

I have lived in a "town" of 62 people, and in one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the world, at just over 30 million people.

I actually felt safer in the place with 30 million. But I still watched my back.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have lived in a "town" of 62 people, and in one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the world, at just over 30 million people.

I actually felt safer in the place with 30 million. But I still watched my back.
    Chongqing, China?

I was in Shenyang (not toooo far from the evil Dear Leader's domain) for several years. (In addition to Hong Kong and other places.)

Never felt at risk in any of the countries I lived in out in Asia, certainly nothing compared to greater New Orleans area.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin_Jedi View Post
    Chongqing, China?

I was in Shenyang (not toooo far from the evil Dear Leader's domain) for several years. (In addition to Hong Kong and other places.)

Never felt at risk in any of the countries I lived in out in Asia, certainly nothing compared to greater New Orleans area.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Lajitas, Texas and the greater Tokyo area metropolitan area.

My place in Lajitas was an easy 7-iron shot from Mexico, however.

Latest "Mayberry" headlines from the quaint, picturesque town of 7,000 souls I live a few miles outside of:

UPDATED: Two Charged In Early Morning Stabbing Death Case-Brevard NC

July 20, 2017

Two Brevard residents have been charged with first-degree murder after an early morning fatal stabbing on Washington Avenue.

Connell Dixon Hawkins, 28, who gave a West French Broad Street address, has been charged with the first-degree murder of an 18-year-old Brevard resident on Washington Avenue, which is located off Silversteen Drive. Hawkins was issued no bond. He was admitted to the Transylvania County Detention Center at about 6:20 p.m.

Chadley Tyrone Norris, 34, who gave a Carolina Avenue address, was also arrested on first-degree murder and two other charges, failure to appear on a misdemeanor and a parole violation. Carolina Avenue runs parallel to Washington Avenue. Norris was also issued no bond for the murder charge. He was admitted to the Transylvania County Detention Center at roughly 4:35 p.m.

Police Chief Phil Harris said he would not officially release the name of the victim until the family had been notified.

At about 2:45 a.m., Thursday, a 911 caller to Brevard Police Department said a fight was taking place out on the street on Washington Avenue.

Officers arrived within a couple of minutes and found the 18-year-old dead on the street.

Sometime after 3 p.m., Thursday, after being issued a warrant, the Transylvania County Special Response Team could be heard by neighbors entering a home on West French Broad Street. The search was directly related to the earlier fatal stabbing, according to Harris, who was at the scene on West French Broad. Some of the people in the West French Broad Street home it was later found out had outstanding warrants for other alleged crimes not connected with the death.

Brevard Police Department is being aided by the State Bureau of Investigation and the Transylvania County Sheriff’s Office. Transylvania County Rescue Squad, EMS and Brevard Fired Department also assisted in the early morning incident.
    Taken from The Transylvania Times.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

blues,

Here's a real wack-job on the loose in your general neck of the woods. I ride my MC through this area routinely and it's a very unlikely place to encounter a thug.

It's been my experience that these guys - when on the run - are particularly dangerous, as this guy has proven by stealing a mountain bike an gunpoint to further his escape. Since this area is chock full of outdoor tourist this time of year, I won't be surprised if he victimizes some more folks before it's over.

http://wlos.com/news/local/suspect-o...hostage-sunday
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    blues,

Here's a real wack-job on the loose in your general neck of the woods. I ride my MC through this area routinely and it's a very unlikely place to encounter a thug.

It's been my experience that these guys - when on the run - are particularly dangerous, as this guy has proven by stealing a mountain bike an gunpoint to further his escape. Since this area is chock full of outdoor tourist this time of year, I won't be surprised if he victimizes some more folks before it's over.

I know the area well as it's only minutes away and there aren't many trails we aren't familiar with. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    blues,

Subject is still at large. Large areas of the National Forest have been evacuated while they continue searching. Tough on men and dogs in this heat and unfortunate for those who have traveled to the area to enjoy the forest.

As an aside: Capt. Jeremy Queen of the Transylvania Co. Sheriff's Office who gave the briefing on the news tonight is the officer who happens to conduct my annual LEOSA qualifications and who was kind enough to meet me at the range for a one on one session a couple weeks back just to accommodate my schedule despite my protestations. Makes a fella proud.

User Tag List