Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayberry?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Sorry guys,

I came here from a metropolitan area of 1.5 million that is running one homicide every 2 days or so this year. A semi-rural town of 35,000 seems very small by comparison.
    Aw, we were just havin' a little fun with ya. Speaking for myself, I'm glad to have drastically downsized. One of the smarter moves I've made.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I once stopped on the way to grandma's house in northern LA to take a leak, at a convenience store in Eudora AR, population 2700 at that time.

As I was walking back to the car I was accosted by a dude that I quickly drew on. I was almost caught flat footed because I am used to places in rural KS where it is in fact Mayberry, no one locks their doors, etc.

I drive through Eudora occasionally. My advice to all is to hold it or pee in a bottle.

Also the closest town to me has a pop of about 50. Yet we recently had a kayaking couple attacked and hacked on by a solo male camper with a machete because the girl wasn't willing to sleep with him... a complete stranger who happened to be camping near the river.
    Last edited by ldunnmobile; 07-08-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Had a murder in the village of about 500 I live a mile from a couple of weeks ago that occurred during a burglary. Nearby town of about 3000 5 miles away is looking more and more like a big city hood with lots of big city drug heads moving there and other rural places because it is easier to stay on govt. assistance. Thefts and burglaries are skyrocking everywhere too and the heroin 'epidemic' is fueling crime all around as well

I remember my cousin from Austin visiting the town our grandparents lived in and commenting she ever thought she would see a drug deal go down on a street corner in Richland. Today the mobile home industry is closed and most of the population is dependent on a check. Meth and crack and alcohol pass the time. It's definitely not the "safe" place it once was.
    Of course my home town had two officers killed while responding to a domestic. That turned out Mayberry upside down in December.
    I am currently in the mountains of north ga. It's quiet and peaceful but I'm also unfamiliar with my surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Sorry guys,

I came here from a metropolitan area of 1.5 million that is running one homicide every 2 days or so this year. A semi-rural town of 35,000 seems very small by comparison.
    Just pulling your chain a bit. There are some rural places in Florida that worry me as much as parts of Orlando or Miami.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Just pulling your chain a bit. There are some rural places in Florida that worry me as much as parts of Orlando or Miami.
    When I worked in Miami from '87 to 2004 there were a few charming locales we worked where my hair stood on end and I was near certain we were about to be involved in a gunfight. (Didn't happen. Maybe carrying a shotgun helped.) A few places like that in NYC, (Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan north of 110th St.) as well. I'm sure every big city I've ever been in can lay claim to the same.

On the whole, I'll take my chances in our small town...but go packing nonetheless.

I'm fortunate to live where I do.

Just outside of a major city in the state, and somehow we've managed to keep most of the crap from crossing in to our county despite the city steadily growing in our direction. We get the occasional burglary from those who stray up to us, but it's generally short-lived because "the village" still has some presence here. Quite a departure from driving about 6-7 minutes in to town where you get all problems associated with city-living.

Here, I certainly feel more inclined to drift in to condition white.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Here, I certainly feel more inclined to drift in to condition white.
    Rolling into "condition white"...

Name:  2693.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  78.0 KB

"Well, it sure seemed like a peaceful little town..."

Last edited by blues; 07-09-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Sigh ... I'll be glad when I can downsize to a smaller town.

Site Supporter
    "Mayberry" doesn't exist and it never has. The whole idea is silly. Times may change but people don't. Anyone who tells you tales of idyllic "good old days" is either a fool or a liar.

Small towns can reduce the odds of issues but there is no such thing as "safe."

User Tag List