Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayberry?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    That amount of truth portrayed there is way above the ability and comfort level of lots of folks. Beautifully played movie of West Texas folks, with the sayings and accents down perfectly.
    The Texas scenes in that movie were filled about 20 miles from where I grew up.

It has a desolate elegance that gives one time to ponder. And everyone carries a gun there.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    The Texas scenes in that movie were filled about 20 miles from where I grew up.

It has a desolate elegance that gives one time to ponder. And everyone carries a gun there.
    Well, when I come visit you can take me on a tour of the area.

And when you come up here, I'll take you where the water scenes for "The Last Of The Mohicans" were filmed about 4 miles (as the crow flies) from our home.

Two of my favorite movies of relatively recent years.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I like to say that per capita, same stuff happens everywhere.

deleted upon further reflection...
    Last edited by blues; 07-07-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I grew up in Andy Griffith's hometown which "Mayberry" was loosely modeled after. And yes, I remember homicides from my childhood that occurred in the area. A local pharmacist was shot down on the sidewalk downtown in broad daylight by one of our local "consumers" who emptied a .25 auto into him. The shooter was my teacher's brother in law.
    A town officer stopped a car that same year and was shot dead by the two occupants. These two events happened in '67.

In turns of leaving Memphis, that was a no brainer.

If we could get Mr Givens aside, privately, I would ask whether this latest development in Mayberry was really a positive or negative development. It is hard to see a man who has given his life to passing on defensive firearms skills to others, living in a place where on "bad days," he carried the Kahr and an extra magazine. Thugs in Florida are just like bears in Alaska, they keep you on your A game.

Besides, how would he dress without the vests?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    GJM- Haven't worn the vest in a year. Here, the uniform is a fishing shirt with the tail out. That still covers up a Glock 35 and 2 spare magazines. I am under no delusion that this place is any more/less dangerous than any other place.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I have to say it, 35,000 is quaint and rural? Hell, when we "went to town" it was a city of less than 5,000. The nearest town consisted of maybe 30 houses, a church, a grocery store, and an auto parts junk yard.

City people.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I have to say it, 35,000 is quaint and rural? Hell, when we "went to town" it was a city of less than 5,000. The nearest town consisted of maybe 30 houses, a church, a grocery store, and an auto parts junk yard.

City people.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  23.3 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I have to say it, 35,000 is quaint and rural? Hell, when we "went to town" it was barefoot through the snow, uphill both ways.
    FIFY
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List