FIFY
    You had feet?

"Mayberry"...Indiana style:

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    "Mayberry"...Indiana style:

There's a bit of history between those two per my understanding.

I'd say it's going to be pretty awkward around the neighborhood until one family sells and moves.

Oh, and it's not out of Indianapolis. It happened in Johnson Co, which is the adjacent county south.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 07-08-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by modrecoil View Post
    You had feet?
    Let's skip to the chase, shall we?

IRL the Mayberrys of the world are no less likely to have crime than the Metropolises, although fact that (stereotypically) everybody knew everybody would tend to keep all but the local sociopaths more or less under control. Theoretically, at least.

Real life not being TV, of course, it is messier. For all we know, Otis was locking himself up in his cell because when he got stewed he went home and beat the snot out of Lurleen, and Andy told him if it happened again he'd have Gomer take care of him, if you know what I mean and I think you do...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Let's skip to the chase, shall we?

IRL the Mayberrys of the world are no less likely to have crime than the Metropolises, although fact that (stereotypically) everybody knew everybody would tend to keep all but the local sociopaths more or less under control. Theoretically, at least.
    The locals know each other, but there's also fewer people and they are more spread out. It's tough to be a mugger when there's no significant foot traffic and you can't be anonymous in the few places people do gather. It's tough to rob the pharmacy when it's THE pharmacy, and the pharmacist probably knows you by sight and by voice.

When I worked 911, I sometimes knew the person who called before they identified themselves because I recognized their voice.

Actual small town 911 calls I took:
    1) The lady who ran the boot shop had her night deposit get stuck in the chute at the bank and wasn't sure what to do. I had an officer go poke it with a baton.
    2) Horse loose in town.
    3) Dispute over ownership of a stray cat.
    4) Food fight at Taco Bell.

However, I also had a state trooper get into a shooting on the interstate that ran through the county, and two counties north had a disaffected youth shooting cars with a rifle from overpasses. (Turns out he was doing so because his family made fun of him for being a bad shot while deer hunting. Yes, seriously) http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/07...-one-dead.html

and http://www.nbcnews.com/id/14026622/n.../#.WWEoDoTyu00

A teenager accused of killing a man and wounding another in a series of highway shootings had argued with relatives during a hunting trip and drove off in anger shortly before the attacks, a prosecutor said Wednesday.

It looks like this thread has taken on some General Discussion tendencies. Consistent with it being in Mindset and Tactics, I have reviewed it carefully, even rereading the July Rangemaster newsletter. In this spirit, I request Mr. Givens post a picture in his new FL "fishing shirt" outfit.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Check my Facebook page. Lots of pics there.

I once stopped on the way to grandma's house in northern LA to take a leak, at a convenience store in Eudora AR, population 2700 at that time.

As I was walking back to the car I was accosted by a dude that I quickly drew on. I was almost caught flat footed because I am used to places in rural KS where it is in fact Mayberry, no one locks their doors, etc.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I have to say it, 35,000 is quaint and rural? Hell, when we "went to town" it was a city of less than 5,000. The nearest town consisted of maybe 30 houses, a church, a grocery store, and an auto parts junk yard.

City people.

Yeah. There weren't 99 LEOs in the entire county where I grew up, even if you included the highway patrol. I lived between two towns with maybe 3000 people between them. They both had PDs, but for a long time you could blow THE traffic light (the other town didn't have one) after 2300 because they didn't have anyone on duty.

That said, two guys from my, I mean THE high school beat a guy to death in a robbery.

So yeah, bad things happen everywhere, but let's get our Mayberry definitions straight.
    Last edited by Hambo; 07-08-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Sorry guys,

I came here from a metropolitan area of 1.5 million that is running one homicide every 2 days or so this year. A semi-rural town of 35,000 seems very small by comparison.

User Tag List