Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you lock your elbows?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I wondered if it was .40. A switch to 9mm would likely do wonders.

Just today, I was shooting a PPQ 5 inch .40, and it felt more like work than fun. I am at the point, that even if I choose to carry, or was required to carry .40, I would want to do the bulk of my practice with 9.
    I shot 175 rounds today and was much less tired than I was doing the same a month ago. I also put 50 rounds of .357 mag down range as I've neglected my revolvers for quite awhile.

I know the 9mm is easier to shoot, but I also know it's a problem with my fundamentals right now. The 9mm will help mask it, but I need to actually figure it out and fix it. I'm laying off the dry fire until I get it figured out, too. No use burning in more bad reps.

I had to examine this. Definitely not locking my elbows. Arms are extended at slightly less than the 100% required to lock the elbows. I do rotate my elbows outward/upward which squeezes the weapon side to side by also rotating my hands a bit tighter into the grip. My support hand grip is tightly locked in the cup shape and pulling back but not necessarily 'gripping' with tremendous finger pressure -- just locked down. I'm not really gripping with the fingers in a death grip with either hand but rather push/pull/rotate which squeezes the weapon in all directions. Strong hand is actually relatively relaxed unless I'm shooting SH only.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

I don't, and have had more than one Instructor make the point that grip is stronger with the elbows slightly flexed and rotated up and out. Having said that, Paul Howe has his mantra of "lock, lock, press" or something to that effect. If I'm not mistaken, he prefers locking the elbows for consistency. I think his point is that if your heart rate is up and and your shaking from exertion, then locked elbows is going to work better.

I have definitely noticed a decrease in my grip strength and overall upper body strength since hitting 40, and compounded with a previous shoulder injury, I think my shooting is worse. Really have to put a priority on physical fitness and rebuilding my upper body strength.

Good luck with your recovery and figuring out your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me grip is elusive and can be victimized by laziness in its execution. My best result is with very firm/tight support hand; fingers on fingers. The side to side pressure I have learned is very important to maximize recoil control. This is very hard to apply with elbows locked at full extension. Simply push your arms out fully with hands pushing together palm to palm. Now flex the elbows about 10 degrees. You will notice more pressure at the palms as your elbows flex. Next tuck your elbows in, ie. going through a narrow doorway. You will feel an increase in palm pressure. This can really be appreciated as you grip the gun. Firm tight support hand, slight elbow flexion, and tuck elbows in. The problem is that one starts to relax with strings of shots and will lazily lose one of these 3 components of grip. After a prolonged session of shooting it is not unusual to be tired and possibly some soreness in the hand, arms and pecs
    Last edited by chances R; 07-06-2017 at 08:07 PM.

BB, sorry to hear you are having the issues you are describing.

I wonder if your overall grip strength is compromised if you might want to try squeezing your palms together. Use your pecs and forearms and try squeezing/crushing together on the gun. That may be a better way for you to exert force rather than just using your hand strength. I know several shooters on this forum advocate this technique, SLG, being one of them. I've been working more on this but have not quite mastered it yet as an automatic grip technique yet, I think it has real merit though.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 07-06-2017 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Autocorrect error
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Take a look at the way Bob Vogel twists his left wrist forward and down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU2BuId3Kho

There must be a million ways to grip a pistol. I started with Weaver, than Chapman and various styles of isosceles. I don't lock my elbows now. I used to lock my right elbow with Chapman.

You will be glad to switch to 9mm. Years ago, I shot .45 because Jeff Cooper said to. After I developed tendonitis, I switched to 9mm and got healed.

.40 Snap & Whip was my nemesis. I might well have retired in October 2015, rather than fire another qual, but my chief OK'ed 9mm as an alternative duty cartridge in September 2015. Actually, the damage was probably largely done by big-bore Magnums in the Eighties.

I moved to lower-bore-axis duty pistols at the same time I switched to 9mm. (Gen4 Glocks.) Either one step would have helped, but I decided to take both steps. (For much personal time carry, I had already reverted to a 1911 .45 ACP, because a 1911, especially with a relieved trigger guard, high-cut front strap, and properly-contoured grip safety, has a quite low bore axis, and .45 ACP does not snap and whip like .40 S&W. Plus, of course, good ol' steel frame.)

I personally do not have a tendency to lock my elbows. But I'm with GJM and Talionis, it sounds like a wrist thing.

I suspected I was having an odd Recoil control issue with my G19, but I confirmed it with my P220 this past Wednesday. I'm finding that I can control Recoil best with my left hand/wrist not aggressively angled downward. A strong grip with the left hand, but not to the point of shaking. I do grip, or at least try to, harder with my left than my right. To be honest, I don't really think about my wrists. I just press the gun out and try to keep as stable of a platform behind it as possible.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

It is amazingly how you can take a great gun in 9mm, that is pure joy to shoot, like the Glock 17/19, PPQ, and P226, change just the caliber to .40, and turn your wonderful girl into her sinister sister that will plain wear you out. If I shot .40 as my main practice round, I would need to cut my rounds fired way back, to protect my body and head.

Gabe and I were discussing this earlier today, and he was commenting how he definitely had anticipation issues from the time he shot the Glock 21 as primary. Even when you grip the crap out of the pistol, and shoot the .40 well, there is a cost.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    BB, sorry to hear you are having the issues you are describing.

I wonder if your overall grip strength is compromised if you might want to try squeezing your palms together. Use your pecs and forearms and try squeezing/crushing together on the gun.
    Well, my grip strength is back. Not all my endurance, but strength and range of motion are good again. I've really tried that pec squeeze thing. Either I'm doing it wrong or my pecs are too weak or both. I didn't see any good results.

User Tag List