Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: J frame bugs

J frame bugs

I was just wondering who all carries a S&W J frame For a back up or off duty gun these days?

Site Supporter
    I carry a 442 as a BUG when off duty and as a primary in the pocket when belt carry is not feasible. 98% of the time, I manage to carry either a Glock 22 or 23 concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC1926 View Post
    I was just wondering who all carries a S&W J frame For a back up or off duty gun these days?
    Lots of folks hereabouts. Including this one. For walking distances from my home it can be carried as a primary. Otherwise it is either left at home or relegated to backup duty on the rare occasion this retired LEO feels the need for a backup.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I still use my 642 from time to time on the ankle or in a pocket, but most other carry methods, I can hide something easier to shoot and reload that holds more rounds, so usually, it's a backup. Even in the pocket these days, it's rare. But I carried it as my only CCW weapon for over 10 years.

I've carried an M&P340 on my ankle on-duty for almost 10 years now.

I rarely carry one while napping on the couch. But if I'm awake, there is a S&W 342 in the left front pocket.

I have not been carrying my 642-based Performance Center J-snub in an LE context for quite some time. First, it got displaced by SP101 snub-guns, then further displaced by a G26. I must qual with each firearm I carry in public places, on or off the clock, with the only acceptable exceptions being firearms used purely for sport, and weapons carried only while at home. While policy does not limit my total number of weapon quals, there is a single-digit number of available places on the virtual "qual card," and my perceived level of need for a J-snub on the street has not prompted me to fire an annual qual with it in over a decade. The SP101 is small enough, during personal time, and in uniform, a G26 is usually small enough.

I carried Models 60, 649, 640, and the above-mentioned Performance Center J at work, from 1984 into the early part of this century, mostly in various ankle rigs, settling upon the Alessi ankle holster, some time in the Nineties.

My J-snub has a place for occasional casual carry while at home, which has little or nothing to do with my LE status.

I do foresee a shift, after I retire. I will want to be less casual about concealment, and will only have to qual with one revolver, and one autoloader, to carry any number of revolvers and autoloaders. When in grandpa mode, I may not feel like dressing around service/duty weapons as much of the time.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-06-2017 at 08:09 PM.

I've carried and still do a 642. Front left pocket while on duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill

I've been carrying one for fifty years. Presently, it's a Ruger LCR.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

I used to carry a S&W 342PD then a Ruger SP101. After carrying the Ruger a while I moved over to autos, carrying a Beretta Mini Cougar .45, S&W Chiefs Special .45, and lastly a M&P9C before I left patrol.

Currently, when necessary, I carry a Glock 43 as a backup on duty, but I did just pick up an early 90's S&W 640 and it shoots better than any revolver I've ever had! It may find some use as a backup.

While off duty, I usually carry a G26 or some flavor of 1911, but from the moment I get up in the morning until when I go to bed my Ruger LCP is in my front right pocket.

User Tag List