Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Hunting Rifle Scope

Site Supporter

RFI: Hunting Rifle Scope

Gentlemen - I have a new Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor https://barrett.net/firearms/fieldcraft/ on the way. I need a suitable optic and ask for your recommendations. My priorities are: quality, light weight, exposed (or option to expose) elevation turret, MIL/MIL turrets/reticle, elevation travel adequate to dial 750 yards. I'd like to spend not more than $1500. With thanks for your help and best regards from the Big Empty, ELN.

Jim Brockman just mentioned that the new Leica scopes were a particularly good value. I have not looked at them yet, but they might be worth checking.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I just put a Burris XTR-2 3-15x50 mil/mil on a 6.5 Grendel. So far I'm really impressed by the scope--especially the reticle and the bright sharp optics. It's not S&B glass, but I found it comparable to a Vortex Razor. I ended up paying just under $800 after the rebate (expires 7/31).

I also like the Nightforce ATACR F1, but that's out of your price range.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Bang for buck: Bushnell LRHS series. Light weight, FFP so reticle works at any zoom position, zero stop, capped windage. Well thought out reticle. George Gardner was a huge influence on the original in that line, the 3-12x. They've since added a 4.5-18x.

The Vortex AMG seems to be going for ~$1900 used if you want to step up the glass and objective size.

I recommend getting some hands-on time with the AMG before buying. It looked really good to me on paper, but some top PRS guys I respect a lot were very underwhelmed.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    I'd recommend Nightforce's 4-16x50 ATACR SFP that fit most of your requirements though the MAP price is $2,328 but you can call me at 916.670.1103 for your price
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

I'm following this with interest since I'm in the market for a similar scope. However, what is "lightweight"? Most of the scopes mentioned are >30 oz. I was thinking <20 oz. Is that possible?

Site Supporter
    Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50 - they are limited production now but some may still be available. Front focal plane. It is a hybrid hunting/tactical scope with exposed elevation turret and capped windage turret. However it is MOA. I bought one and used it on multiple rifles including a 6.5 CM. It is currently on a 6.5 Grendel AR and I recently ran it out to 800 yards dialing at multiple targets from 200 to 800 yards. I will look up specs on the Vortex web site but it is between 20 and 30 oz. I got mine on a smoking "Black Friday" deal two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I'm following this with interest since I'm in the market for a similar scope. However, what is "lightweight"? Most of the scopes mentioned are >30 oz. I was thinking <20 oz. Is that possible?
    Yes, especially if you're willing to give up some features (reticle, focal plane, magnification, etc.) and/or pay a lot more. At the lower price end is the Vortex Razor LH. Around 17oz, SFP, capped adjustment, good reticle options (BDC, MOA). I have never handled one--have no idea about eye box and so forth. Sky's the limit on higher priced Swaro, Zeiss, etc.

The Bushy LRHS, AMG are the only light(er) weight scopes I have experience with that I'd use for 6.5C.

How about a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42?

The SHV line is also pretty nice but you have to go up to 4-14 to get a mil reticle.

User Tag List