Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P320 drop safety

The great thing about the 320, MPX and MCX, is we all get a front row seat as we help Sig bring these products from concept to being a mature system.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

ran across this animation, maybe it will help illustrate. You'll need to click on the link.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dismas316; 07-05-2017 at 08:20 PM.

I've watched this several times. Couple things trouble me. The audio of the impact precedes the impact of the pistol slightly in drops 1 and 2. The audio of the firing also in drop 3.

In the slo mo, the pistol fires, and then the trigger moves rearward.

Anybody else see this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I've watched this several times. Couple things trouble me. The audio of the impact precedes the impact of the pistol slightly in drops 1 and 2. The audio of the firing also in drop 3.

In the slo mo, the pistol fires, and then the trigger moves rearward.

Anybody else see this?
    I noticed the timing was odd, too, but the "high speed" film is not really very high speed. The way the trigger moves on impact seems weird too -almost like it moves forward first, and bounces back? I'd want higher quality video before I make judgements based on just that video.

I'm not exactly an impartial observer, but I couldn't duplicate it with my 320s (although without a full mag's weight).
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I don't own a P320 so I have no dog in this. That said I don't give the video much credit other than bringing a possible issue to more people who may assumed that the P320 was or wasn't drop safe to then investigate and discuss and share their findings as well as verifying along with Sig whether or not this is a problem for all or some production guns that are unmodified or for modified guns and how they are modified that causes this to happen if true.

What really concerns me is that it appears that Sig changed the owners manual wording regarding dropped guns firing and yet I didn't hear or read about it anywhere. I don't own one so maybe they notified owners who submitted registration cards or some other method but changing the owners manual and adding such a significant factor without publicly addressing it seems inappropriate at best and negligent at worst. Then to go on to state that all guns can fire when dropped and only keep a round chambered when firing just adds to the very odd, almost ludicrous mentality.

If it was just a video or a few I could right it off as a fluke,modified gun or parts wear or out of spec gun(s). When there is a direct addressing of the drop issue in the owners manual I get a lot more concerned that it may be a real problem in certain circumstances and may affect my decision to purchase,own or retain a gun based on the issue.

I also have suspicions that if this were Taurus,Canik,Caracal or other lesser known or well distributed brand the response may be more aggressive.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    You are correct, you have no clue about the innards of the P320.

Unlike a a Glock, or VP9, where the trigger bar connects to the trigger below the trigger pivot point such that when the trigger is operated, the trigger bar is moved rearward, the trigger bar on the P320 connects to the trigger above the pivot point. This means that when the trigger moves rearward, the trigger bar moves forward. Or, stated the other way, and as seen in the video, when the trigger bar moves forward, the trigger moves rearward.

That video doesn't depict an internal failure of the gun causing the striker to be released, but rather the intertia of the trigger bar causing the trigger to move and the gun to fire. There was no internal failure of the gun, just the inertial operation of the trigger (due to the trigger bar).

Had the gun impacted in a more muzzle up orientation, that discharge wouldn't have happened.
    Now I have to go after the P320 with the rubber mallet. This time from the muzzle end

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Now I have to go after the P320 with the rubber mallet. This time from the muzzle end
    The fact that I find this as funny as I do probably means I need to spend less time here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P320 drop safety

I tried several times dropping my P320c from 4-5 feet and could not replicate. I got mine when they first came out and it has Gen everything in regards to trigger, etc.
    Last edited by 3-7-77; 07-06-2017 at 06:41 PM.
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

Hammertime
    I bashed a P320 FS, Compact and Subcompact a bunch with the mallet, and did a few high drops on to unpacked carpet over concrete and could not get the striker to fall.

As someone said upthread, with no resetting between drops in the video, there appears to be a cumulative effect with all three drops. If such is the case, I would be somewhat less concerned, but it bears fleshing out.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List