Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P320 drop safety

P320 drop safety

Has anyone been through an armorer's program for the P320 that can explain the drop safety to me? I was reading some other forum last night that mentioned the pistols may not be drop safe, and then when I started searching I found a slow motion video of a P320 discharging when it was dropped. You could actually see the trigger move back when the pistol hit the ground. I'll try to find it again later and post it but my search-fu is weak on my phone.

I'm not ready to jump to conclusions based on any of that yet. No idea if the gun from the video was completely stock or not. I would THINK with all the contracts Sig has won lately if this were an issue it would come up. I can always call Sig and ask, but I figured there's probably someone here more connected at Sig than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Has anyone been through an armorer's program for the P320 that can explain the drop safety to me? I was reading some other forum last night that mentioned the pistols may not be drop safe, and then when I started searching I found a slow motion video of a P320 discharging when it was dropped. You could actually see the trigger move back when the pistol hit the ground. I'll try to find it again later and post it but my search-fu is weak on my phone.

I'm not ready to jump to conclusions based on any of that yet. No idea if the gun from the video was completely stock or not. I would THINK with all the contracts Sig has won lately if this were an issue it would come up. I can always call Sig and ask, but I figured there's probably someone here more connected at Sig than me.

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom Jones did a pretty good explanation in reference to why, unlike most other striker guns, the P320 is drop safe without a tabbed / hinged trigger. The cliff notes version is the trigger bar in the 320 moves the opposite direction of most other striker guns when you pull the trigger.

P320 drop safety

Tom, no offense taken at all. The discussion I was reading is here: http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/p3...-or-nay?page=2

There's honestly not much claim there outside of a mysterious gun at an unknown agency, and pointing out that allegedly the Sig 320 manual claims it's not drop safe (can't verify - I don't have one).

Here's a link to the video:

The way I had it explained to me is: the p320 trigger moves in the opposite direction as the trigger bar, so inertia is canceled out on impact.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Tom--yes, good point about how the impulses are not likely to cancel for all directions of impact. I'd like to see this done in a more controlled experiment. Multiple guns. Reset striker after each drop.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-05-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

There seems to be a common denominator to a number of these issues surfacing -- they seems to be on striker pistols with fully pretensioned striker designs.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There seems to be a common denominator to a number of these issues surfacing -- they seems to be on striker pistols with fully pretensioned striker designs.
    I haven't seen the VP9 issue first hand, but does anyone know if the striker fully drops on impact or is it just a dead trigger? A dead trigger that resets with a malfunction clearance drill doesn't bother me. A gun that discharges like the pistol in the video would bother me.

I am not saying all 320s are like that. I happen to like the pistol quite a bit, I'm hoping the video above is an isolated incident, but I'm not involved enough or smart enough to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I haven't seen the VP9 issue first hand, but does anyone know if the striker fully drops on impact or is it just a dead trigger? A dead trigger that resets with a malfunction clearance drill doesn't bother me. A gun that discharges like the pistol in the video would bother me.

I am not saying all 320s are like that. I happen to like the pistol quite a bit, I'm hoping the video above is an isolated incident, but I'm not involved enough or smart enough to say that.

In the case of the Q5, and I believe with the VP9, the striker releases but the FPS prevents the pistol from firing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That video was pretty interesting. It looks like the trigger moves rearward before the cartridge fires, or maybe I am not watching it closely enough?

Which is kinda weird, given the impact would suggest the trigger would stay put (or at least not go backwards?) but I have no clue about the innards of the 320.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post

Unlike a a Glock, or VP9, where the trigger bar connects to the trigger below the trigger pivot point such that when the trigger is operated, the trigger bar is moved rearward, the trigger bar on the P320 connects to the trigger above the pivot point. This means that when the trigger moves rearward, the trigger bar moves forward. Or, stated the other way, and as seen in the video, when the trigger bar moves forward, the trigger moves rearward.

That video doesn't depict an internal failure of the gun causing the striker to be released, but rather the intertia of the trigger bar causing the trigger to move and the gun to fire. There was no internal failure of the gun, just the inertial operation of the trigger (due to the trigger bar).

Had the gun impacted in a more muzzle up orientation, that discharge wouldn't have happened.
    Thanks for the info.

On the basis of this video, the excerpt from the user manual, and now understanding more about the pistol's trigger mechanism, I am frankly, astonished this hasn't come up before.

ETA:My bad, found this: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....r-safety/page2

Has anyone repeated this drop test?

Will be following this thread with interest.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-05-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: add 2015 thread

User Tag List