Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mount for 1-8x 34mm tube optic

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    This is the first time I have ever heard of Bobro's having any issues. I beat the crap out of one for a while and it didn't budge or have any issues and I can assure you I hard use my guns way more than most people.

Defoor uses Bobro's on his rifles, he has never reported an issue, again pretty sure he puts more time on his guns than anyone here.

As far as MrGunsnGear goes, his credibility as a "reviewer" of gun anything is extremely suspect. Without derailing this thread, I will just say that I have asked him on numerous forums how many rounds he has put through guns/items he was reviewing, how long he has used them and in what conditions, I am still waiting for a response on any of those questions. He makes money reviewing items on youtube, he does unboxing videos of gun parts, think about that for a moment. Anyway, nothing he has to offer should be looked up on as credible but at the same level as hickock45 and nutnfancy.

Those people you cite who had issues with Bobro's did they get new ones from Bobro for free? I'd bet they did and I bet they work perfectly fine afterwards. I'd also bet these guys did not follow proper installation instructions as they are not standard to other optic mounts. They are do not need nearly as much force and do not require to be "bolted down," it says so in the instructions (if they read them).

I'll stick to my experience and people I know who hard use their guns with these mounts on them, not a single issue there reported.

*admins/mods if linking is not allowed to other forums, delete please....

This is from last year, one I remember off the top of my head, I'd have to go looking for the others:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....10#post2412310
    Some of the replacements worked, some had the same issues and led to them dumping Bobro as their solution and going with other options, ultimately non-QD mounts in one case, I believe. The $120 precision rail was "too bad, so sad", and the customer, I believe as last I read their post on it, was simply out a new rail. Not Bobro's problem. I held out for a long while on the Bobros, but the fact that Andrew has now changed the screws he uses is kindof a "clue" to me that it's not just isolated incidents and BS.

Like I said, new screw design or not...I'm not touching them until they are CNC'ed into the mount as part of it.

I have not found very many counts of Nightforce, Geissele, or Badger Ordnance mounts breaking and sliding all over or ruining rails. They are who I go to for a mount.

I have spoken with Andrew, and like the guy. Nothing against him or his, at all. I think he is one of the most professional mount-makers out there, and I WANT TO LIKE his product, because I like how he runs his business and I like him as a human being. Just seen too much of what I've posted above, and other issues to use them, at present.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 07-07-2017 at 10:15 AM.

@CS Tactical is good for getting a sweet price
    Mike is also a good and helpful human being and a wealth of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Some of the replacements worked, some had the same issues and led to them dumping Bobro as their solution and going with other options, ultimately non-QD mounts in one case, I believe. The $120 precision rail was "too bad, so sad", and the customer, I believe as last I read their post on it, was simply out a new rail. Not Bobro's problem. I held out for a long while on the Bobros, but the fact that Andrew has now changed the screws he uses is kindof a "clue" to me that it's not just isolated incidents and BS.

Like I said, new screw design or not...I'm not touching them until they are CNC'ed into the mount as part of it.

I have not found very many counts of Nightforce, Geissele, or Badger Ordnance mounts breaking and sliding all over or ruining rails. They are who I go to for a mount.

I have spoken with Andrew, and like the guy. Nothing against him or his, at all. I think he is one of the most professional mount-makers out there, and I WANT TO LIKE his product, because I like how he runs his business and I like him as a human being. Just seen too much of what I've posted above, and other issues to use them, at present.
    I met Andrew at SHOT a few years ago, he knows his stuff.

Like I said, first time I am hearing of this and will likely continued using and recommending Bobro as I have yet to know anyone who hard uses the mounts (more than me) and has issues. Improper install is a real thing, even if it is easier to just blame the manufacturer as many people do.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I met Andrew at SHOT a few years ago, he knows his stuff.

Like I said, first time I am hearing of this and will likely continued using and recommending Bobro as I have yet to know anyone who hard uses the mounts (more than me) and has issues. Improper install is a real thing, even if it is easier to just blame the manufacturer as many people do.
    I'm not buying "improper install". It's plain to see what happened in the photo I posted (there are TONS of them out there, btw...), and that the mount was fully seated on the rail. The mount broke. It wrecked a rail. The fact that these people DON'T "hard use" their gear is all the more worrisome.

Bobro has opted to use different screws, now. Coincidence? I don't know.

When I was buying Bobro kit, I was having it made 1-off for me, and I had no issues because I spec'ed the heaviest springs possible. Roughly 200% the clamping force of some of the 30mm mounts from them I handled at SWFA. Mine would smack the shit out of you. That said, these guys may have gotten some lighter springs by accident that didn't clamp so hard. SOme of them have posted YouTube videos of them moving the mounts around on the rail by hand.

YMMV, I chose to bolt shit down and not worry. Given the video above, it's plain to see how those lugs are shearing. I'm not out to bash Bobro or his product. I'm just sharing why I've moved away from it and to bolt-down systems.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 07-07-2017 at 10:33 AM.

I'm not buying "improper install". It's plain to see what happened in the photo I posted (there are TONS of them out there, btw...), and that the mount was fully seated on the rail. The mount broke. It wrecked a rail. The fact that these people DON'T "hard use" their gear is all the more worrisome.

Bobro has opted to use different screws, now. Coincidence? I don't know.

When I was buying Bobro kit, I was having it made 1-off for me, and I had no issues because I spec'ed the heaviest springs possible. Roughly 200% the clamping force of some of the 30mm mounts from them I handled at SWFA. Mine would smack the shit out of you. That said, these guys may have gotten some lighter springs by accident that didn't clamp so hard. SOme of them have posted YouTube videos of them moving the mounts around on the rail by hand.

YMMV, I chose to bolt shit down and not worry. Given the video above, it's plain to see how those lugs are shearing.
    Listen, I get it, you see some sort of issues out there and don't want to get involved, cool don't do it. No skin off my back.

I have not seen these issues, the people who I know who have been running these mounts for a good bit and have vastly more experience running and installing mounts on rifles than you or I have no issues with them. My experience does vary, so does the experience of people I trust for this type of information. Random dude on the internet? Not so much.
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 07-07-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Listen, I get it, you see some sort of issues out there and don't want to get involved, cool don't do it. No skin off my back.

I have not seen these issues, the people who I know who have been running these mounts for a good bit and have vastly more experience running and installing mounts on rifles than you or I have no issues with them. My experience does vary, so does the experience of people I trust for this type of information. Random dude on the internet? Not so much.
    These issues all cropped up <1000 rounds. So that's something to note. I have no jihad here. Just sharing what I've seen others have issues with.

I'd say it's more like a random half dozen dudes on the internet and not just " a random dude", though, to be objective.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 07-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.

These issues all cropped up <1000 rounds. So that's something to note. I have no jihad here. Just sharing what I've seen others have issues with.

I'd say it's more like a random half dozen dudes on the internet and not just " a random dude", though, to be objective.
    Right, either way, still random.

When it starts to happen to one of five, let me know.
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List