Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Semantics: What *is* Point Shooting?

I see what you mean. Maybe an anonymous poll/survey with a bit more limited choices could help with the definition. Or maybe nothing will ever bring consensus. I will say that I am curious regardless how each person defines what point shooting is to them where they use it and/or when?

Thanks for broaching the subject in the first place.
    Last edited by octagon; 08-14-2017 at 10:25 AM.

My personal view is that point shooting is shooting without visual reference on the gun.

So in my opinion, the old speed rock technique would be point shooting, as would Southnarc's #2 position and similar retention shooting positions.

I do not consider (for instance) Southnarc's #3 position or similar compressed ready positions to be point shooting, as there is a visual reference on the top of the slide by way of peripheral vision.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Where is your primary focus? The spot on the wall I assume. Do you see your sights? Is the gun brought into the line of sight between your eye and the point you intend to hit? Or is the gun held below eyeline but visible?

I practiced early on using a laser but on continuously to show where the gun was pointed throughout the draw and presentation similar to what you describe. Some of that I consider point shooting and some may fall into sighted shooting depending on a persons definition. If you don't have a laser equipped gun or the laser fails and you use the same technique do you consider it still point shooting?
    To me, point shooting would be the quickest defensive pistol use I could engage in.
    Short range, to stop a close quarter confrontation, at ranges of a few feet to a few yards.
    I use the laser to test how well I can point the gun instinctively.
    The goal of this type of shooting isn't to hit a bullseye at 10 yards, but rather hit center of mass on an approaching BG.
    Doubtful I could even fully extend my arms in such a scenario.
    I've done paper plates at 7' and I've probably cheated by using the J-frame laser on those. My vision is such that I can't really focus on sights without my glasses on, and then the target goes fuzzy. Hence the laser(s).

User Tag List