Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92D With Updates

Great thread. Love the D series. Carried a 96D Brig as an issued duty gun for a few year. My only complaint? The size ( especially for only having 12 on board). But the best DOA pull around...

I enjoyed reading this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Great thread. Love the D series. Carried a 96D Brig as an issued duty gun for a few year. My only complaint? The size ( especially for only having 12 on board). But the best DOA pull around...

I enjoyed reading this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    How did you like the D series trigger pull as compered to a DAK or LEM?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How did you like the D series trigger pull as compered to a DAK or LEM?
    The D reminded me of a good revolver. Regular DA/SA pistols made me think a DAO gun would be awful, and 12lbs per pull. Once I was issued the 96D Brig, it was "pass the qual or find a new job". So I was forced to learn it, and surprisingly, I liked it. Mine was about 7.5 to 8lb and smooth as glass. And the more I shot it, the better it got. It was just a really big gun.

We transitioned in 2001 to the LEM. In fact the LEM (law enforcement modification) came about from our adoption of the USPc in DAO. In testing, Female Instructors were having trouble with the DAO. It was bad, like 13 lbs. HQ thought if the female instructors cant run this thing, then the female field agents will have serious issues. So HK went to the drawing board and essentially made a single action gun, that looks DAO. The main spring is stored at full tension... its cocked. But the hammer rests in the forward position, independent of the fully cocked mainspring. Your trigger pull moved the hammer to line up with the mainspring strut, then releases both. LEM is cocked and unlocked. I was not a huge fan. Its not a bad trigger, but overall, I did not like it. Super light pull up to a wall. It was a great trigger to shoot slow and deliberate, but I just could never run it at full speed worth a shit.

In 2003, DHS was formed, and in 2004 we began to issue the DAK. Being a fan of the D, I took to the DAK better than the LEM. The sig had a slightly lighter pull of 6.5 to 7 lbs, and it had a smaller grip circumference and one more round in the mag. No complaints. But overall, I thought the Beretta just felt smoother. The slide movement was smoother, the trigger was a little longer and heavier, but was smoother. The DAK was good, and shootable, but it just felt lower quality.

I carry a Glock now, and soon we will begin to issue the P320.

I would not feel undergunned with ANY of those. First choice will probably always be Glock in 9mm, follow by the DAK just because it was a little smaller than the Beretta. Then the way last choice would be the HK LEM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Interesting; until I really concentrated on the 92D, I tended to shoot my 9mm Glocks the best. This year I've chosen to concentrate on only 2 platforms; the Hk P30L .40 in V1 light LEM, and the 92D. Between Glock, HK and Beretta, in most situations at this point I tend to shoot the Beretta the best overall, the Glock the fastest, and the HK the most instinctively. I previously owned a 2006-vintage rounded-triggerguard P229 DAK in .40 and .357 SIG. Mine was the early DAK, with the lighter mainspring; .40 required no break-in, .357 SIG required about a 100 round break-in as I recall to eliminate a few initial light strikes (later production P229s had heavier mainsprings to eliminate the break-in period. While I had it for 5-plus years, I never ran it or used it heavily. The DAK oddities made it a sort of one-and-only platform to me, which I was insufficiency enamoured with the DAK to do. I find the 02D and LEM easier to use, and frankly prefer the Beretta, HK and Glock to the P229. But I freely admit that may be just me. Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-15-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    Between this thread and all the LTT love recently, I have a feeling I'm going to end up with a Beretta or 5 before the year is out. I've been messing around with a couple various DA/SA and a few others (DAO and Revolvers) . . . the tupperware isn't going anywhere, but I think I'm going to start looking at some of the "forgotten" guns.

Great thread @JonInWA
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Just won a 92D on Gunbroker, one of those underbid because you probably won't get it that cheap things. The dude that was bidding against me gave up $9 before my max bid.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    How difficult would it be to convert a 92fs to DAO? Will beretta do this ?

You could sell the FS and buy a D and have money left over.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 07-01-2018 at 11:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    You could sell the FS and buy a D and have money left over.
    Wise words.

It's not too hard- remove the sear, spring, and pin from the frame, then add a D hammer. You will still have the safety on the slide.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List