Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92D With Updates

Hmmmm....what cartridges have you used with it? Best, Jon

Federal 115 BPLE, 147 gr. HST, Winchester 124 NATO, Mag Tech 115; S&B 124 so far. No Russian stuff or Privi Partisan with really hard primers yet. I do have a Wilson trigger bar in and given how far it causes the hammer to go back, I think it might even bust those primers. When I get a chance I will test some.

Jon, got to Beretta Forum, Beretta Smithing and Maintenance, and look for a thread near the top called Results of Installing a Trigger Job in a Bag, and click on the last page. You will see a discussion there by Diva and myself about her TJIB in her 92D. She is using an 11# spring w/ TJIB very successfully. There are several reasons discussed as to why it works including two directly from Ernest. I can't use the 11# in my SA/DA 92s but her D runs it just fine.

Thanks, don't know why I hadn't read that thread before. Make sure you invite Diva to join us here on p-f. I'm reasonably conversant in things 92D, but I never knew the 92D came with a one-piece firing pin, and the energy transfer benefits of it. Ernest's comments were interesting. I'm very satisfied with the 13# WC mainspring, but then I was pleased with their 14# one that I had in before. Thanks for the suggestion/temptation; I'll probably discuss a bit further with Ernest before doing either a 12# or 11#, as mine is used for carry, duty and IDPA. Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Jon, got to Beretta Forum, Beretta Smithing and Maintenance, and look for a thread near the top called Results of Installing a Trigger Job in a Bag, and click on the last page. You will see a discussion there by Diva and myself about her TJIB in her 92D. She is using an 11# spring w/ TJIB very successfully. There are several reasons discussed as to why it works including two directly from Ernest. I can't use the 11# in my SA/DA 92s but her D runs it just fine.
    I'm not sure that the full TJIB is necessary with the 92D. You don't need the single-action sear or a hammer with SA hooks, so to me it makes sense just to get the Wilson trigger bar along with a Langdon Tactical hammer spring that is polished at the bottom, and then polish the hammer strut and trigger bar where needed. Doing that with an 11# hammer spring gave my 92D (I should note it is a Centurion in case that makes a difference) an extremely smooth trigger pull.

Jeep, that is true. i don't know exact details but LTT made a TJIB specifically for her and the 92D. I don't know specifics about what is in it but I am sure it doesn't have sear etc.

The last time Ernest and I talked, he had only provided action jobs that he remembered to two 92Ds, which may be a testament to: 1. The innate goodness of the 92D's inherent action qualities; and 2. The relatively low numbers of 92Ds out there, let alone used by those that really appreciate both them and what Ernest can provide. I expect that the TJIB will expand that number, but basically (as Jeep laid out) for a 92D I'd argue that for a 92D, because of its simplified/reduced components, all you really need for a 92D TJIB is the WC triggerbar, Langdon-polished hammer strut, WC reduced power mainspring(s), trigger spring, and WC trigger return spring.

Again, simply by eliminating the sear (and associated sear components) and accordingly cleaning up the hammer on the 92D, Beretta inherently provided a really exceptional trigger pull right out of the box on these guns.

The most significant single component is the WC triggerbar, which enables you to use lower-power mainsprings (I'm personally using the 13# WC one, but this thread has provided some pretty convincing evidence that a 92D can operate with 12# or even an 11# mainspring, at least with Federal and similar primers).

Another subtle, but very worthwhile consideration for many would be to concurrently swap your grips to the ultra thin Langdon/VZ G10 grips-they significantly transform the handling of the gun and aid in trigger manipulation.

My WC triggerbar was a drop-in, but most of them are these days, as WC slightly modified them some time back to preclude relatively inexperienced users filing too much material off and rendering 'em useless in the process.

A conversation that I had with one of WC reps about a year ago about the WC short trigger was interesting; he did not recommend it for the 92D, as the OEM trigger provides the ideal leveraging and geometry for the 92D's DAO operation. Fortunately, all 92Ds by definition (unless they've been owner modified) come with the all-steel Bruniton treated trigger, which gives a user the ability to go with a Wolff TCU trigger return spring set-up if desired). I'm personally currently running my 92D with a WC chrome silicon conventional trigger return spring-the Woldd reduced power TCU that I'd run for years simply didn't have enough "oomph" for the trigger return with the WC triggerbar.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-12-2018 at 02:32 PM.

I am going to have to try the Langdon ultra thin grips on my 92D. Great idea, Jon.

The LTT grips are very nice. I installed on my EII and found that they were actually a little too thin for me. Apparently I have long fingers.
    20180213_073434 by craig stuard, on Flickr
    So I have switched to the Stoner cnc super aggressive pattern
    20180507_070849 by craig stuard, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    The LTT grips are very nice. I installed on my EII and found that they were actually a little too thin for me. Apparently I have long fingers.
    20180213_073434 by craig stuard, on Flickr
    So I have switched to the Stoner cnc super aggressive pattern
    20180507_070849 by craig stuard, on Flickr
    Nice grips, Craig. While the Langdon grips (and similarly thin Trausch grips) are perfect for my hand size on a Beretta 92, I had the same dilemma with Craig Spegel grips on a Hi Power. He made a magnificent set of his Kingwood grips for me- and with them my trigger finger protruded just too far. I switched to thicker Hogue rubber, and more recently to a set of very nice Hogue G19s. Sometimes why is an optimum solution/best quality simply doesn't work on an individual basis... Best, Jon

User Tag List