Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92D With Updates

You guys. I just bid on a 92D on Gunbroker.

This forum is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post

This forum is expensive.
    You're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

This forum is expensive.
    Best of luck! And, don't forget the NP3 TJIAB recommended by Craig, too! We'll help you spend your money..
    Carpe diem

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    You're welcome, it's great to have you on board. One question on your set-up: How are you liking the short trigger? When I queried WC about it, they actually recommended against it on the D model; the tech that I spoke with felt the action leveraging was excellent with the regular trigger, and conversely was a bit compromised with the short-reach variant. What are your thoughts about it after running it on yours?

Best, Jon
    For my smaller hands than most guys, I found the full size 92D with stock grips to be a ....well...handful. Until I did some discussing about why my shots were going straight left, I didn't get the relationship. I'm a Beretta 92 newbie, btw. So, I started this thread looking for help and we all figured it out.

https://berettaforum.net/vb/showthre...=137069&page=2

They main thing I took away from the thread is that "reaching for the trigger" was the problem and the fix was easy. Thin, or better, Ultra Thin grips and a Short Reach Trigger combined and practice allowed me to get my trigger finger in the correct position on the trigger to cure my inaccuracy. Now all three of my 92D's have this combination and I have no more left leaning issues with shot placement. Every little bit helps!

What did the WC tech mean about the leverage being compromised and how would it adversely affect shooting the gun? My 3 92D's also have WC Trigger Bars so I'm not sure if that plays into it. Was the tech assuming an OEM stock or WC bar in his assessment?
    Carpe diem

At the time that I spoke with the WC tech, I don't believe that the WC triggerbar was available. To the best of my recollection, basically he recommended against the Short Reach Trigger in the D model because of the ergos involved with the user and the repetitive DA stroke with the SR trigger compared to the standard OEM one. That's probably not a great explanation (more on my part-we had the conversation a few years ago and I never really pursued a more in-depth discussion), and it sounds like you're perfectly satisfied with your Short Reach Triggers with you D models, which pretty much answers my question.

Also, from an ergonomic standpoint, due to my medium-size hands/fingers I didn't need a decrease in triggerpull distance with my 92D, I simply desired a slimmer feel with the receiver. In my experience, the Trausch, and then my subsequent (and current) LTT grips accomplish that magnificently, essentially giving a double-stack 92 a single-stack feel, and making the handling characteristics much more dynamic.

What are your thoughts in comparing a D with a Short Reach Trigger and one with the OEM standard trigger?

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-24-2019 at 08:22 AM.

I believe the SRT coupled with ultra thin grips enables me to get my finger where it belongs on the trigger, while not messing up my grip, for shot placement accuracy. I only shot maybe 500 rounds with the OEM triggers before I changed them all out. It could just be all in my head but I truly believe this combination is something one should try with any 92 if smaller hands are in play and accuracy is off to the left. I'm also not sure what else the SRT is supposed to fix or why else one would need it. YMMV!
    Last edited by LadyLuck; 02-25-2019 at 04:59 PM.
    Carpe diem

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLuck View Post
    I believe the SRT coupled with ultra thin grips enables me to get my finger where it belongs on the trigger, while not messing up my grip, for shot placement accuracy. I only shot maybe 500 rounds with the OEM triggers before I changed them all out. It could just be all in my head but I truly believe this combination is something one should try with any 92 if smaller hands are in play and accuracy is off to the left. I'm also not sure what else the SRT is supposed to fix or why else one would need it. YMMV!
    What I think this shows is that one size doesn't fit all in guns (or pretty much anything else). The short reach trigger might be bad for most people with a D model--but not everyone. I have somewhat smaller hands and I find the SRT a bit annoying--but nevertheless useful with full size grips.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    JW, Ernest's work is superb, but with the 92D, take a hard look at your LTT/Wilson Combat options. Arguably, all you need for a 92D is the WC triggerbar (it'll be a drop-in with the D), and the mainsprings to your liking-I'd suggest the 14# and 13#, at least to start with. With a D, you don't need the sear, sear spring, and the Elite II hammer (unless you want it). I'd give Ernest and Aimee a call, and see if he'll spec a D version TJIB for you.

Other stuff you might want to add would be a set of LTT grips (unless you've already added, or are satisfied with the new grips you already added), and perhaps some of the other components I've discussed in the thread.

Glad your enjoying and finding the updates helpful-feel welcome to ask any questions as they come up.

Best, Jon
    Jon

Installed Wilson trigger bar, new Wilson silicon return spring and 14# Hammer spring... HOLY COW.. gotta hit the range and test this out. Smooth and easy compared to vintage '02 parts... I think I MIGHT try the Wilson SRT but not certain I need to..... test fire first.
    Johnny Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    Jon

Installed Wilson trigger bar, new Wilson silicon return spring and 14# Hammer spring... HOLY COW.. gotta hit the range and test this out. Smooth and easy compared to vintage '02 parts... I think I MIGHT try the Wilson SRT but not certain I need to..... test fire first.
    Hit the range and let us know. If you can adequately reach and manipulate the trigger with the OEM trigger, with good accuracy and speed, I'd leave well enough alone.

Conversely, Lady Luck has obviously done well with her SRT, but she has a specific and defined ergonomic need, which was quantifiably measured (i.e., shooting to the left before installation, shooting POA/POI after-to me, that's a demonstratively effective hardware improvement ). I strongly suspect that most of us are better served with the OEM trigger, but hey, it's an inexpensive part (well, unless you gold-plate it like Lady Luck did...) and a pretty easy install. Getting one "for science" and objectively comparing may not be a bad thing-but there's probably other things I'd spend money on first-like ammunition, practice, instruction, competition.

I suspect some of us (myself included) have a tendency to seek immediate hardware solutions, where perhaps a smarter approach might be to invest in spending significant time with a given platform to be able to more coherently address upgrades and improvements based on actual empirical experience.

Best, Jon

This forum is expensive.
    Didja get it?!
    Carpe diem

User Tag List