Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92D With Updates

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Too late to edit.

To clarify, the L "model" is a compact... unless it's an L Type P which is a full size, but with the "compact's" lighter slide. (WTF were they thinking with these name). The F vs G is standard 92 speak, safety vs. decock only.
    Yeah, I know Beretta did some crazy things with the Cougar naming designations. I know there was, like, a mid-length grip option... which sometimes had a slide with tons of cuts (that's the L, right?). And then they had the minis with the subcompact grip.

Either way... the D is the D... in both 8000 and 92 land.

Hoping to get the gun to the range today.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 03-05-2024 at 03:38 PM.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Matty, the good news is that I haven't heard of significant issues with the 9mm Cougars; the tarbabies were the .40 and .357 SIG (especially the .357 SIG). I strongly advise using either TW25B or a grease (I prefer Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2) on the rotational portion of the barrel breech, lugs and cam tooth piece.

Currently I'm preferential towards Lucas Extreme Gun Oil, MC 25 for bore cleaning, and the stuff cited above.

Let us know how it goes.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Matty, the good news is that I haven't heard of significant issues with the 9mm Cougars; the tarbabies were the .40 and .357 SIG (especially the .357 SIG). I strongly advise using either TW25B or a grease (I prefer Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2) on the rotational portion of the barrel breech, lugs and cam tooth piece.

Currently I'm preferential towards Lucas Extreme Gun Oil, MC 25 for bore cleaning, and the stuff cited above.

Let us know how it goes.

Best, Jon
    Thanks, Jon!

You know, I had an 8045 Cougar a few years back and I used TW25B in the action. Had FTFs. Action felt kinda sluggish. Maybe that wasn’t the issue… maybe the gun was just temperamental. But I’ve always wondered if the grease was too viscous for the action. Or maybe I was using too much? I’ve only used oil in my PX4 and it has worked fine. Though I generally use the blue Lucas stuff, which is a bit thicker.

Anyway…

I put 100 rounds through the Cougar this evening… ran like a top. Which, coincidentally, also rotates The gun came with 2 factory mags and 2 ProMags—it even ran fine with the ProMags.

I was able to pull some pretty decent groups at 10 yards. Here’s 35 rounds:

Name:  251D4737-0CB1-4A8C-BECD-763800CA7CEE.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  32.7 KB

The trigger is very shootable—and less fatiguing than many DA triggers I’ve tried. That said, after spending some quality time with it, I do find there is just a touch of stacking/friction right before the hammer falls. Though it’s not nearly as pronounced as what I find on my DA/SA 92s. If I wasn’t careful, it wanted to go a little right (which, strangely, is my normal “mode of error” on DA triggers). But… aside that trio of flyers… not too bad. Plus… you get all the super-smooth, plush-ness of the Beretta rotating action. It’s dreamy.

It’s a really fun gun to shoot. Not in the same way as, like, a really nice SA trigger. But it feels like you’re earning every hit. And as a long as I take my time, I find it to be a tack driver.

Believe it or not, Hogue still offers G10 grips for Cougars! I might grab a pair. In any case… it’s a neat gun and a cool, functional piece of Beretta history.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 03-05-2024 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Believe it or not, Hogue still offers G10 grips for Cougars! I might grab a pair. In any case… it’s a neat gun and a cool, functional piece of Beretta history.
    Yep, I’ve got a set of the checkered ones. I cut them down to use on my 8040D MiniCougar

And the sight dovetail cuts are the same dimensions as the Vertec slides, so you can use sights for many of the newer model 92’s. And it looks like your Cougar uses the same magazine release as the 92, unlike the early Cougars. If you ever decide to convert it to DA/SA then the hammer, sear, sear pin, & sear spring from the 92 also fit in the frame. The trigger bar is different than the 92, but you can get a super short reset by tweaking the Decocker lever just a bit.

Oh yeah, you can take any magazines designed for the 92 (i.e. MecGar 18 round M9) and cut a higher notch to make it fit the Cougar.

I've had this 8000 in the back of a safe for years. This thread is really making me want to put it into action!

Name:  8000.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  68.4 KB

Site Supporter
    So…. Is the Cougar about to become the latest P-F hipster gun?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    Yep, I’ve got a set of the checkered ones. I cut them down to use on my 8040D MiniCougar

And the sight dovetail cuts are the same dimensions as the Vertec slides, so you can use sights for many of the newer model 92’s. And it looks like your Cougar uses the same magazine release as the 92, unlike the early Cougars. If you ever decide to convert it to DA/SA then the hammer, sear, sear pin, & sear spring from the 92 also fit in the frame. The trigger bar is different than the 92, but you can get a super short reset by tweaking the Decocker lever just a bit.

Oh yeah, you can take any magazines designed for the 92 (i.e. MecGar 18 round M9) and cut a higher notch to make it fit the Cougar.
    Nice! Those grips look great. Very nicely done. And thanks for those tips. I went ahead and ordered the G10s. I think better traction may help stabilize gun during the DA take-up. Some fresh sights could certainly help, too.

I guess I'd have to get an F slide to make it DA/SA. No lever cutout. Nevertheless... there is a Stoeger 9mm slide floating around on eBay as we speak. But I'll probably roll with DAO for now. It's kinda fun.

Speaking of DAO...

Could one use PX4 hammer springs in a Cougar? Could maybe get away with a chrome-silicon Langdon/Wilson 11# / 12# hammer spring? Which I think is even lighter than the factory D spring (16#?).

And, in case anyone's wondering, I already looked: LTT doesn't work on Cougars, per their FAQ. At least these kind of Cougars...

Mine is a 1995 build--which is second year (I think), so fairly early. I inserted a 92 mag, and it seemed to fit other than the cutout. Might be worth trying if I cover come upon some cheapo 92 mags.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 03-06-2024 at 12:54 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    So…. Is the Cougar about to become the latest P-F hipster gun?
    I support, endorse and embrace this... erm... "motion."

You can add the single action parts, but you will just need to thumb down the hammer like you would with a CZ75 or a revolver since there’s no decocker. Hammer springs from a 92 will fit the Cougar. True that LTT don’t do work on them, but since it is a D with a single piece firing pin, Ernest did say years ago that a D can go about a pound lighter on the hammer spring with the same functionality.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    You can add the single action parts, but you will just need to thumb down the hammer like you would with a CZ75 or a revolver since there’s no decocker. Hammer springs from a 92 will fit the Cougar. True that LTT don’t do work on them, but since it is a D with a single piece firing pin, Ernest did say years ago that a D can go about a pound lighter on the hammer spring with the same functionality.
    Gotcha! Thanks, dude! I may look into swapping out the spring.

User Tag List