Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92D With Updates

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Cool.
    Where did you find the US-made 10 rounders with no heel cutout?
    All the 10 and 15 rd magazines I’ve seen offered on the Beretta USA site seem to have the heel cutout, or only show images of the opposite side, so it’s impossible to tell whether they have it. I don’t like the cutout, as it allows a lot of sand to get into the interior of the magazine when dropped during matches here (and I have many mags with the cutout).
    I actually got them as I recall a couple of years ago, in conjunction wit the passage of the Washington magazine capacity limitation law; I got them as a pro-active measure as the bill(s) started to meander their way through the Washington legislative houses. I obtained them through my FFL at the time commercially, the left side of the tubes is rollmarked "PB CAL.9PARA-MADE IN U.S.A. ACKK., MD" so perhaps Beretta USA changed over to providing the 92S cut-outs on later production 10 rounders-or did so in conjunction with their move to the Tennessee factory.

Disassembly is easy with these magazines, so clean-outs for maintenance shouldn't be too onerous if you can't get the ones without the cut-outs, but you might want to call BUSA and see if they have any NOS without the cut-outs still available.

Alternatively, it might be worthwhile to check with MecGar, which are well regarded, but I don't have any experience with their 92 magazines personally.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I actually got them as I recall a couple of years ago, in conjunction wit the passage of the Washington magazine capacity limitation law; I got them as a pro-active measure as the bill(s) started to meander their way through the Washington legislative houses. I obtained them through my FFL at the time commercially, the left side of the tubes is rollmarked "PB CAL.9PARA-MADE IN U.S.A. ACKK., MD" so perhaps Beretta USA changed over to providing the 92S cut-outs on later production 10 rounders-or did so in conjunction with their move to the Tennessee factory.

Disassembly is easy with these magazines, so clean-outs for maintenance shouldn't be too onerous if you can't get the ones without the cut-outs, but you might want to call BUSA and see if they have any NOS without the cut-outs still available.

Alternatively, it might be worthwhile to check with MecGar, which are well regarded, but I don't have any experience with their 92 magazines personally.

Best, Jon
    The Mec Gar 10 and 15 rounder are just their standard (excellent) 18 round tube with a capacity limiting dimple, as far as I remember.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Not to totally derail this thread, but in college I helped manage a gun store (early 90's). We had a 92 D that we could not get rid of. I think we finally sold it for 250 bucks to a somewhat reluctant buyer. Hind sight is 20/20, but I should have bought that gun just to throw in the safe. Now I wish I really would have bought that gun. I do remember the DA trigger being excellent, however I was not mature enough to understand the benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    Not to totally derail this thread, but in college I helped manage a gun store (early 90's). We had a 92 D that we could not get rid of. I think we finally sold it for 250 bucks to a somewhat reluctant buyer. Hind sight is 20/20, but I should have bought that gun just to throw in the safe. Now I wish I really would have bought that gun. I do remember the DA trigger being excellent, however I was not mature enough to understand the benefit.
    You're not the only one; my first personal 92 was a 92D Centurion Police Special, which I foolishly traded, although in retrospect, my subsequent (and current) 92D is a better gun for me, and in nicer shape out of the box. And we won't mention the 92 Compact L Type M that I had, with OEM Trijicons and a set of Farrar grips, with multiple magazines that I bought new, used and carried lightly, with a Kramer horsehide holster that I also traded back in the day...

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

@JonInWA would you mind sharing your insight into front sight options for a 92D?

I have a 92D Centurion police trade in that has been sitting in the safe for a few years. I have debating sending it into LTT for a slicking up but I haven't been able to justify the expense. My main issue is the sights, it has tritium sights on it now. I "need" something colorful on the front with a blacked out rear. My preference would be for a fiberoptic but my understanding is that if the tritium is dead no one will drill it out. These look pretty dead to me. I have considered painting it but I wanted to check and see if there is any other option first.

I have definitely benefited from reading your experience in this thread so thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    however I was not mature enough to understand the benefit.
    That's the story of my life. That's sig line material.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    @JonInWA would you mind sharing your insight into front sight options for a 92D?

I have a 92D Centurion police trade in that has been sitting in the safe for a few years. I have debating sending it into LTT for a slicking up but I haven't been able to justify the expense. My main issue is the sights, it has tritium sights on it now. I "need" something colorful on the front with a blacked out rear. My preference would be for a fiberoptic but my understanding is that if the tritium is dead no one will drill it out. These look pretty dead to me. I have considered painting it but I wanted to check and see if there is any other option first.

I have definitely benefited from reading your experience in this thread so thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
    If you want to remain with tritium, I'd give ToolTech a call to see what your options are; as I recall, it somewhat depends on the actual status of the tritium in terms of relamping.

The "Easy Button" solution is simply to carefully paint the tube face (or the entire front sight face-your call/preference) with a white base coat, and then when that's thoroughly dry, put an upper coat of neon/fluorescent orange or green (or whatever your color preferences are-I use orange for mine). When that's totally dry, give it a top coat of Testor's Dullcote or similar to prevent reflectivity/light scatter.

I'm glad you're enjoying and have benefitted from the thread. I plan on keeping it ongoing, with others always welcome to chime in and add to it.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter

“How can I relate to this thread in most hipster way possible?”

Me:

Name:  D8607F64-141A-4241-BDA0-9CC4EA9EDC1B.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  90.2 KBName:  BC9DAB76-6AFC-464E-A6CC-E4CCD6E427EE.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  59.4 KB

I've been wanting a legit Beretta Cougar for a while. Figured I'd hold out for an F, but this sexy 8000D popped up on Armslist for a good price.

Haven’t shot it yet… but... best DA pull on a Beretta I’ve experienced. Smooth, no stacking, not too heavy, and it feels like there's less overtravel than what I experience with the F Berettas. The gun seems to jostle less when the hammer falls in DA, so the sights don't bounce around.

Are the Cougars known to have better DA pulls than 92s? Granted, I've never tried an actual 92D. But I remember putting a 12lb Wilson mainspring in my 2015 92FS Compact... even then, the DA on that gun was nowhere near as nice as what's on this Cougar. Like, night and day.

Can't wait to shoot it.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 03-04-2024 at 09:11 PM.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Are the Cougars known to have better DA pulls than 92s? Granted, I've never tried an actual 92D. But I remember putting a 12lb Wilson mainspring in my 2015 92FS Compact... even then, the DA on that gun was nowhere near as nice as what's on this Cougar. Like, night and day.
    Perhaps. I had the L model, originally an F model, but very easily converted to a G without buying any additional parts. The trigger was great, made better with a D spring, which yours already has.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Perhaps. I had the L model, originally an F model, but very easily converted to a G without buying any additional parts. The trigger was great, made better with a D spring, which yours already has.
    Too late to edit.

To clarify, the L "model" is a compact... unless it's an L Type P which is a full size, but with the "compact's" lighter slide. (WTF were they thinking with these name). The F vs G is standard 92 speak, safety vs. decock only.

User Tag List