Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 38 HST chrono

Those velocities are a lot more credible than a spread of 4 fps, which given the bell shape curve one would expect of test results, might be possible but almost certainly would be an extreme outlier. However, I think my first reaction would be to check the chrono to see if it is really working.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Those velocities are a lot more credible than a spread of 4 fps, which given the bell shape curve one would expect of test results, might be possible but almost certainly would be an extreme outlier. However, I think my first reaction would be to check the chrono to see if it is really working.
    An SD under 10 fps is enough to draw low whistles when it happens. Flipping through my one spiral notebook here with probably a hundred or more 10-shot strings with varying ammo recorded in it, I count four times I've seen Extreme Spreads of under 20fps. The lowest, a 13-ish fps ES with .40 American Eagle, caused me to reshoot the string, and the second string was in the 20-point-something range, which is still well above the norm. Those 1fps claims just don't pass the smell test.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Frankly I somewhat doubt whether any chrono in the hands of civilians is really accurate to 10 fps, much less one fps, in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Frankly I somewhat doubt whether any chrono in the hands of civilians is really accurate to 10 fps, much less one fps, in the first place.
    Jeep beat me to it...the significant figures commercial chronographs are accurate to, doesn't seem congruent with 1.0 fps variation. That would be an amazingly expensive instrument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check this:

https://americanhandgunner.com/exclu...city-accuracy/

The methodology is solid, the chrony is cheap... but the results speak for themselves.

I think if you shoot a round through several high quality chronographs (same shot, overlapping chronos), even of the same brand and model and in perfect condition, you would get slightly different resuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    An SD under 10 fps is enough to draw low whistles when it happens. Flipping through my one spiral notebook here with probably a hundred or more 10-shot strings with varying ammo recorded in it, I count four times I've seen Extreme Spreads of under 20fps. The lowest, a 13-ish fps ES with .40 American Eagle, caused me to reshoot the string, and the second string was in the 20-point-something range, which is still well above the norm. Those 1fps claims just don't pass the smell test.
    I went back through a bunch of Oehler 35P chrono data on handloads and found just a few ES under 20 with SD of 9-10. All were heavy loads of H110 in .44 Magnum.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

The only loads I’ve seen with consistent SD’s in the single digits are black powder .45-70 loads in my BPCR.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

FWIW, Sept/Oct 2017 American Handgunner page 96 shows an average of 780 fps from S&W m36 2".

Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    FWIW, Sept/Oct 2017 American Handgunner page 96 shows an average of 780 fps from S&W m36 2".
    I am rather underwhelmed with the velocities I have seen posted in various places online, but velocity isn't everything. I still want to see some real 10% gel tests and the numbers from them before I get too wrapped around the axle.

RA38B clocks around 870-890 From my 442, in comparison. Both being 130gr +P loads. I picked up a case of the Ranger for sub-ball ammo prices from CDNN a while ago, and that is my current carry load. I find it less snappy than the 135gr Gold Dot.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I am rather underwhelmed with the velocities I have seen posted in various places online, but velocity isn't everything. I still want to see some real 10% gel tests and the numbers from them before I get too wrapped around the axle.

RA38B clocks around 870-890 From my 442, in comparison. Both being 130gr +P loads. I picked up a case of the Ranger for sub-ball ammo prices from CDNN a while ago, and that is my current carry load. I find it less snappy than the 135gr Gold Dot.
    That's what I carry in my 642-1 as well. Bought a case online a while back when the price was quite reasonable.

I don't find it at all unpleasant to shoot out of the J frame with the stock grips.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List