Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 barrel bushing stuck

Site Supporter

1911 barrel bushing stuck

I have a 1911 barrel bushing that I cannot remove. It is REALLY tight - I did the classic mistake - I saw it was tight but forced it in anyway because I wanted to shoot. I am trying to disassemble the slide now and I got the bushing to rotate a few degrees then my cheap metal bushing wrench stretched until it is useless. Slide is stainless steel and bushing is unknown metal but suspect stainless steel. This is not tight as in "target fit needs a little bit of wrench" this is tight as in cannot get to move without bending the metal GI style wrench. I out penetrating oil into every crevice before I started.

Any advice on removing this stuck barrel busing? Also, need a new wrench - any advice on "best" 1911 bushing wrench? May take to a competent gunsmith as option but hate to admit defeat too early.

Site Supporter
    Maybe put it in a freezer? And while chilling, get a new, metal bushing wrench. Align it correctly to remove it and then you'll probably have to tap it out with a hammer.

Before installing it again, coat it in sharpie, press it in until you hit resistance...remove it, file where the sharpie rubbed off.

Repeat for about a thousand years until it fits.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    New metal wrench on order - actually a couple of different wrenches to try. Soaked the bushing area with penetrating oil. Really hoping for some pearl of wisdom from a 1911 guru!
    Last edited by ranger; 07-06-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Dunno how much more 1911 specific help you're gonna get, its a classic case of a metal part stuck in another metal part

Lots of kroil and cussing should do it.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

If it were mine, I'd freeze a large drill bit and put that inside the bushing for 10 minutes. Freezing the whole slide probably would make things bind tighter. Let us know how it's resolved!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Is this a factory gun?
    Is the gun assembled?
    Is it binding on the slide, or the barrel?

If the gun is still together, separate the slide assembly from the frame. Then tap the barrel forward to release some pressure on the bushing. Then give it a try.

Spraying the bushing only with a upside down can of dust off will cool it down pretty quick. You will need to keep the slide normal temp so maybe wrap your hand or a heated hand warmer around it. Take care not to freeze your hand or fingers

Here's AvE explaining the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rljUld-ptvI

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter
    OP Update. Barrel bushing removed - no pistols or amateur gunsmiths were injured. Thanks to Amazon 2 day delivery, a much more substantial 1911 barrel bushing wrench arrived. Meanwhile, I had been soaking the "stuck" barrel bushing with penetrating oil for multiple days now. I put the slide in a padded vise and used the new metal 1911 barrel bushing wrench and all the strength I have left and finally got the bushing to turn to the "remove" orientation. I then used a plastic headed hammer to drive the barrel out thereby driving the bushing out.

Site Supporter
    Was there any galling or other damage to the slide, barrel, or bushing?

Site Supporter
    No damage, just lesson learned about when it does not want to go do not force it! I used lots of oil so I am sure that helped.

User Tag List