Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atypical Wear in 3rd Gen G17

Atypical Wear in 3rd Gen G17 Firing Pin

Seems to function fine, but the firing pin has got some unusual wear on it. Is it an issue? What's causing it?

Last edited by Jay585; 07-03-2017 at 02:57 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

That's some serious peening. How many rounds thru the pistol, and when was the last time that the internals of the slide were cleaned?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    That's some serious peening. How many rounds thru the pistol, and when was the last time that the internals of the slide were cleaned?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    As far as round count, I honestly don't know. I bought it via Gunbroker where it was being sold as a "contractor gun" from Iraq (I assume the more truthful story is that it's an LEO trade in). Since I've had it, I've fired maybe about 500 rounds and that's guessing high.

I cleaned the internals last weekend (where I noticed it then), but between getting it and now has been several months, if not more than a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Are you using any aftermarket or modified trigger components (trigger bar, connector, etc.)?
    I was using the OEM minus connector and a NY1 trigger spring, but have moved those components to my Gen 2 G19, which (so far) isn't having the same issues - knock on wood. Those were the only modifications I made (besides sights).

Buy another one? They aren't expensive.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Buy another one? They aren't expensive.
    I did that once, experiencing a similar issue with a series 80 1911. Firing pin and plunger got chewed up, so I replaced it with Wilson Combat parts, only to have THAT get chewed up. Turns out the screw in the trigger wasn't at the right depth to fully activate the lever for the plunger and that's how the parts were getting chewed up.

I'm trying to avoid having something like that occur again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I did that once, experiencing a similar issue with a series 80 1911. Firing pin and plunger got chewed up, so I replaced it with Wilson Combat parts, only to have THAT get chewed up. Turns out the screw in the trigger wasn't at the right depth to fully activate the lever for the plunger and that's how the parts were getting chewed up.

I'm trying to avoid having something like that occur again.
    That was in a 1911 right?

In the armorer course I took a long while ago basically said if something looks weird and you have doubts replace it and make sure it functions at the range before carrying.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Does the upward movement of the firing pin safety feel normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    That was in a 1911 right?

In the armorer course I took a long while ago basically said if something looks weird and you have doubts replace it and make sure it functions at the range before carrying.
    Yup, a 1911. I will put in an order at MidwayUSA.

Still courious how this happened though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Does the upward movement of the firing pin safety feel normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup seems normal. I'll give it a look over again ASAP. I just cleaned it again today, and the firing pin safety wasn't marred like it was in the 1911.
    Last edited by Jay585; 07-03-2017 at 05:26 PM.

OP- Your FP and FP safety are peening each other. You likely have corresponding damage on the FP safety.

Action:
    Armorer inspection.
    Detail cleaning.
    Replace FP, FP safety, FP safety spring. While you're at it, replace the spacer sleeve, FP spring, spring cups as well.

Possible causes:
    Aftermarket, modified, or "improved" parts.
    Missing parts, esp FP safety spring, FP channel liner.
    Burrs in the FP safety recess channel or migrating near thereto impeding travel.
    Pulling the FP back and letting it snap forward against the FP safety.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    OP- Your FP and FP safety are peening each other. You likely have corresponding damage on the FP safety.

Pulling the FP back and letting it snap forward against the FP safety.

I used to do this a lot and low and behold, the FP would get these type of marks.

I stopped doing it and the marks stopped happening. Twas a miracle.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

User Tag List