Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Current State of the Shotgun

Site Supporter
    Does anyone prefer a pistol grip stock like on the above mossberg to a traditional stock?

I personally found found that pistol grip stocks (not pistol grip only) on 12ga guns force more recoil into my wrist than I like. I did spend thousands of hours of my childhood shooting traditionally stocked pellet guns and .22's so that may bias me some.

Eta: civilian user.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 07-05-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Is the higher cost of a quality semi auto worth it for a home defense gun? How much extra training / practice is required, on average, to get someone to a skill level where the chance of operator error isn't an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    How much extra training / practice is required, on average, to get someone to a skill level where the chance of operator error isn't an issue?
    There will always be the chance of the operator short stroking or not racking it hard enough but to minimize it does not take as much practice as you might think, IF the stock fits the shooter. Even taller guys usually prefer shorter than the typical 14" stocks that most guns come with new. I'm 6'2 and I like about 12.5-13". I've seen short guys try to run factory stocked guns and have lots of issues.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 07-05-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Does anyone prefer a pistol grip stock like on the above mossberg to a traditional stock?

I personally found found that pistol grip stocks (not pistol grip only) on 12ga guns force more recoil into my wrist than I like. I did spend thousands of hours of my childhood shooting traditionally stocked pellet guns and .22's so that may bias me some.

Eta: civilian user.
    No, for how I use the shotgun! LE may have specialized uses that argue for a pistol grip, but for me the pistol grip makes it awkward in the field (especially in thick cover), makes operating a safety harder, concentrates recoil into my wrist, interferes with optimal snap shooting, and generally mucks up the overall handing. My current #1 14 inch M2 came with a pistol grip stock, and when I replaced it with a Comfertech youth sized traditional stock, it was significantly softer with Brenneke slugs. A feature of the Magpul is it has a developed pistol grip area, that gives you many of the possible benefits of the pistol grip stock, without the actual pistol grip hanging down and beating you and your surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Is the higher cost of a quality semi auto worth it for a home defense gun? How much extra training / practice is required, on average, to get someone to a skill level where the chance of operator error isn't an issue?
    Everyone will answer that differently.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    There will always be the chance of the operator short stroking or not racking it hard enough but to minimize it does not take as much practice as you might think, IF the stock fits the shooter. Even taller guys usually prefer shorter than the typical 14" stocks that most guns come with new. I'm 6'2 and I like about 12.5-13". I've seen short guys try to run factory stocked guns and have lots of issues.

I agree on short LOP, but still it is easy to conceive of situations where LOP changes dramatically, like when you are packing 100 pounds of moose meat in your Mystery Ranch Crew Cab with big padded shoulders straps, you are wearing every layer you have, or you have only one arm available because you are holding a leash or a creature is nibbling on your other arm.

My wife is a really skilled overall shooter of handguns and rifles, many of large caliber. She has taken shotgun training with Louis Awerbuck, Randy Cain and others. Still, she despises a pump shotgun. The Benelli appeals to her, as she refers to it as a shoulder fired Glock -- press the trigger until the threat is over or it runs dry, dump it on the ground, and carry on with the pistol. I am different, in that I am excited by new systems. Still, these days it is always a semi auto I grab when I am headed into the field around bears.

Since earlier photos are gone to Photobucket hell, here is her M2 20 gauge.

Name:  IMG_0071.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  14.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0075.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0076.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  97.1 KB

I am quite interested in the forthcoming Ampoint S1 Darryl has mentioned, as it will drop low right on the vent rib. Previously, my opinion was that a bear has to touch you to hurt you, but I have spent so much time behind a pistol and carbine dot in USPSA, I am most comfortable with a red dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'll see your $350 walmart bitch pump gun and raise you a $230 pawn shop gauge, traded straight across for the cheap ass wedding ring from my ill conceived first marriage.
    From a guy going through a divorce right now... I see this as possibly the best use ever of a cursed ring!

Site Supporter
    Maybe I'm just a weak pussy, but is the speed advantage for a semi auto with slugs there? With my Stoeger, the recoil of a slug is a fairly jarring experience. It takes a bit of effort to get back on target and in that time, a skilled user of a slide action gun would probably be close to having fully cycled the gun by that time.

I have yet to time this...I probably ought to, but my only available 12 gauge is a full choked Winchester 1897 that was made in the early aughts and I'm definitely not running slugs through it...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Maybe I'm just a weak pussy, but is the speed advantage for a semi auto with slugs there? With my Stoeger, the recoil of a slug is a fairly jarring experience. It takes a bit of effort to get back on target and in that time, a skilled user of a slide action gun would probably be close to having fully cycled the gun by that time.

I have yet to time this...I probably ought to, but my only available 12 gauge is a full choked Winchester 1897 that was made in the early aughts and I'm definitely not running slugs through it...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    In my limited semi-auto shotgun experience, it is much less jarring to fire 00 buck or slugs through a Benelli than an 870 or similar, and the gun cycles very, very fast. You would have to be running a very slick 1300 or older Wingmaster, and be very good with it, to come close to a semi auto cycle speed and recoil control.

12 gauge terminal effect would make splits kind of moot.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List