Thread: AIWB loop position comparisons and results

AIWB loop position comparisons and results

I've tried a bunch of different AIWB holster styles from JMCK, Raven, and CCC. It's taken me a long time to figure out what works and what doesn't for me. Below are holsters for Walther PPS and Glock 17. For reference I'm 6'5 230 and about a 35" pants size.

Image A:
    #1: Walther PPS AIWB with extra tuck, extra length, minimal built-in wedge.
    #2: Walther PPS AIWB Wing Claw 1.0 with soft loops, extra length, neoprene wedge.
    #3: Glock 17 AIWB Wing Claw 1.0 with soft loops, neoprene wedge

Image B
    #4 Walther PPS AIWB Wing Claw 2.5, no extra length, neoprene wedge
    #5 Walther PPS AIWB Wing Claw 1.0, extra length, 1.5" clip (same holster as #3 with clip installed.)

Image C
    View of changes to the claw angle, pictured are #3 Glock 17 AIWB Wing Claw 1.0, and #5 PPS AIWB Wing Claw 1.0.

Image D
    Comparison of both claw solutions, stacked.

I've also tried the AIWB Wing Claw 2.0 and 2.5 and these findings apply to those as well.

On me there are three problems a holster needs to solve:

1) The grip printing
    2) The front of the belt attachment (loop or clip) printing
    3) The back of the slide printing

Holster designs that I've found to -not- help with these:

1) Holsters with a lot of surface area. The wider the holster the more restrictive the position in the waistband. A wide holster requires that I position the front of the holster closer to 12:00, and the width also increases the leverage of the claw and pops out the front belt attachment which is a bad combination. Narrower profile allows for better positioning on my body (closer to 1:00), which has a positive impact.

2) The newer claw vs older claw. The newer strut of the newer claw essentially creates a wider platform below the belt, requiring me to push the holster forward (same issue as #1). The narrower below-the-belt profile of the older claw (no strut or strut mounting position) allows for optimal placement on the belt.

3) Shorter vs longer holsters. Longer holsters provide more leverage against the gun rolling out, and provide a more effective mounting point for wedges. I don't find that adding a wedge to a standard length holster is as comfortable or effective as adding a wedge to an extended-length holster. Although I carry a G19 I always order the G17 length holster. On me I think a G34 length holster would be too long.

4) More claw vs less claw. Sometimes grinding down a claw can provide the sweet spot amount of leverage. I don't know what's changed in terms of claw mounting but in Image C below you see my older G17 AIWB wing claw has the claw mounted at an angle, whereas the new PPS AIWB Wing Claw has the claw mounted flat. It doesn't look like much difference but angling the claw on the G17 version results in a solution that conforms to my body's curves much better.

5) Rear belt attachment location. The holsters that conceal the best on me have the rear belt loop (or back of the clip) positioned right over the trigger guard. I assume this is more in line with my body curve, and provides some grip tuck. And of course if the rear belt attachment is further to the rear, that means the front can be further to the the rear as well -- less front printing.

Of all these holsters, the G17 AIWB Wing Claw 1.0 conceals better than any of the other options I've tried for the Glock. The 2.0 and 2.5 were too wide.

Of all the PPS holsters, the standard AIWB with a wedge conceals the best on me. The 2.5 was too wide. The AIWB Wing Claw 1.0 I thought would conceal better than the AIWB with clip -- Nom! Note the belt attachment location is very different than the rest, not sure why.

Image A:

Image B:

Image C:

Image D:

The raven claw works really well if you understand how its supposed to be setup.

I should do a post on this topic.....

Good comparison, always good to show what works and doesn't work.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

One thing that may mitigate the front loop printing is using a close soft loop. Getting away from the snap saves some thickness and in many cases it's just enough.

On the claws, they're not a new version and old version, one is the Eidolon claw and the other is the Vanguard claw. Not that it necessarily matters but it might save someone some emails when ordering.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I have the same issues with aiwb that you describe and also find the aiwb 1.0 claw from JM or the dark star gear with the metal clip to be the best solution for me. The forward belt loop on the eidolon or JM 2.0/2.5 wants to sit on top of my pants button, which pushes it out. If I move the holster toward the 1:00 direction to avoid that, I don't have enough waist line real estate and the claw will rotate back toward my hip causing the slide and rear sight to protrude outward.
    Last edited by Gio; 07-11-2017 at 07:30 AM.

OP,
    Very nice analysis. You did not mention ride height. I've found ride height to be one of the most significant factors in how much the gun prints.
    I look for the thinnest holster and the smallest form factor which I can carry at the lowest position commonly offered by specialized AIWB rigs with Dark Star being the ones I've most experience with and prefer. With one I drilled new holes to carry lower yet.
    When I find the right combo I've been able to carry a 17 or 22 where I used to carry a 19.

I may be an oddball as I have not found wedges or wings/claws to my liking. The more that has to fit inside my pants the less I like the rig.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I have the same issues with aiwb that you describe and also find the aiwb 1.0 claw from JM or the dark star gear with the metal clip to be the best solution for me. The forward belt loop on the eidolon or JM 2.0/2.5 wants to sit on top of my pants button, which pushes it out. If I move the holster toward the 1:00 direction to avoid that, I don't have enough waist line real estate and the claw will rotate back toward my hip causing the slide and rear sight to protrude outward.
    FYI the 2.5 now offered by JM with the normal hole pattern removed that issue for me.

I've been using it for several weeks now with the neoprene pad and it's so ridiculously thin.

Both the slide and the grip are tucked against me without having to use an obnoxiously tall wedge.

Thanks for the write up. I need to try a JMCK holster for my PPS sometime.

I also like a low ride holster. Its usually more comfy and conceals better for me but slows my draw down a bit.
    Last edited by Irelander; 07-12-2017 at 09:17 AM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List