Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why no 14.5" pencil barrel with carbine length gas system?

No. I have a 14.5 pencil barrel mid-length. It's their patrol III series with 14.5 pinned.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In a perfect world, wouldn't carbine length gas systems be with a 14.5 barrel, and mid-length with a 16 inch barrel?
    This pretty well sums up my preconceived notions on the issue in a single sentence, not that I have any real expertise to draw conclusions from. It's why I was truly surprised when I went looking for a 14.5" lightweight profile, carbine length gas upper, and found....nothing.

Perhaps I need to rethink my understanding of the issue. If BCM and all the other manufactures have gone exclusively to the mid length configuration on 14.5" guns, maybe it's the way to go. They are staking their companies' reputations on that decision after all. Pat Rogers spec'd out a 14.5" mid length for his signature EAG carbine, and Pat certainly knew more about ARs than I can claim to.

I do use .223 62 grain Federal Fusion MSR as the go-to ammo I keep my AR loaded with. I'm not sure how "hot" that ammo is. I also tend to use cheap steel cased ammo for practicing close range, high volume shooting drills, where mechanical accuracy and point of impact shift simply doesn't come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick62 View Post
    I wasn't aware that Sionics has ever produced a 14.5 mid length. Was it a limited run?
    I can't find a 14.5" anything on their website at the moment.

I contacted Sionics and he said they aren't currently offering 14.5" but they are thinking about doing a run of them. I forwarded this thread to him.

For disclosure I make nothing from Sionics they just impressed me when I met them.
    Last edited by Pennzoil; 07-05-2017 at 03:43 PM.
    Owner of Ryker Nylon Gear - Ryker Nylon Gear Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    This pretty well sums up my preconceived notions on the issue in a single sentence, not that I have any real expertise to draw conclusions from. It's why I was truly surprised when I went looking for a 14.5" lightweight profile, carbine length gas upper, and found....nothing.

Perhaps I need to rethink my understanding of the issue. If BCM and all the other manufactures have gone exclusively to the mid length configuration on 14.5" guns, maybe it's the way to go. They are staking their companies' reputations on that decision after all. Pat Rogers spec'd out a 14.5" mid length for his signature EAG carbine, and Pat certainly knew more about ARs than I can claim to.

I do use .223 62 grain Federal Fusion MSR as the go-to ammo I keep my AR loaded with. I'm not sure how "hot" that ammo is. I also tend to use cheap steel cased ammo for practicing close range, high volume shooting drills, where mechanical accuracy and point of impact shift simply doesn't come into play.

Oh man. Be careful with that line of thinking.

User Tag List