Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Phasing out shotguns?

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    For the guys who have a both a shotgun and rifle in the car, is it realistic that you take the shotgun out for one set of circumstances, and the rifle out for another set? It seems to me that any one person would inherently be more comfortable with one versus another, and favor that. Like "hmm, this is a hostage barricade call, I'll take the shotgun since the guy is holed up in his house" versus "I'll take the AR."
    Times change... When I was in patrol the rifle was in the trunk and the shotgun was in the rack up front, so it was the immediate "go to" and the rifle was used when I had time to grab it. I almost always favored the rifle, but as I stated, there is a place for "the boomer".

Now, with many of our units having both up front, I'd be more likely to grab the rifle over the shotgun, but for those certain situations (barriers, animals, etc.), I'd absolutely go with the shotgun. So yea... I'd take one or the other depending on circumstances, but it would mostly be the rifle.

For the guys who have a both a shotgun and rifle in the car, is it realistic that you take the shotgun out for one set of circumstances, and the rifle out for another set? It seems to me that any one person would inherently be more comfortable with one versus another, and favor that. Like "hmm, this is a hostage barricade call, I'll take the shotgun since the guy is holed up in his house" versus "I'll take the AR."
    I'll often take the rifle, but...If I'm going into a structure where I know or suspect there to be one or two bad guys and I know the farthest shot will be less than 15-20 yards, I'll take the shotgun. For instance, an alarm at a liquor store, house, etc.

My 14" 870 is stoked with Brennekkes with more Brenekees on the side saddle. It serves two roles - felony vehicle stops and to have a second long gun in case someone is riding with me.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by Rick62 View Post
    Did your place consider going to 40mm for the less lethal platform?

Have you removed all other 12ga rounds from inventory, or were any kept on hand by certain units? (Detectives, SWAT etc...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We already have 40mm carried by patrol deputies. I didn't ask about the swatologists keeping their shotguns.

The info our Sgt passed along was all shotguns will be less lethal.

I'll do some asking when I get back in tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by J_B View Post
    We already have 40mm carried by patrol deputies. I didn't ask about the swatologists keeping their shotguns.

The info our Sgt passed along was all shotguns will be less lethal.

I'll do some asking when I get back in tomorrow.
    Thanks for the info. I'd be curious to hear the thought process, assuming there was one, behind the deployment of a second less lethal platform.

If shotguns are going to be put forward as a less lethal launcher, I'm glad it would be a 100% transition. Places that use less lethal 12ga and still maintain inventories of buck/slug or breaching rounds give me the willies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick62 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'd be curious to hear the thought process, assuming there was one, behind the deployment of a second less lethal platform.

If shotguns are going to be put forward as a less lethal launcher, I'm glad it would be a 100% transition. Places that use less lethal 12ga and still maintain inventories of buck/slug or breaching rounds give me the willies.

Being issued a less-lethal 870, while wearing buckshot on my belt, and slugs on my uniform shirt, gives me a bit of the willies. I would rather that our less-lethal projectiles be fired by something other than a 12-gauge shotgun. As a practical matter, I am going to try to request that a fellow officer un-case and use the less-lethal 870. (Our division assigns a specified number of less-lethal shotguns, per district, and the duty is rotated among the officers in each district.)

Breaching rounds are lethal, at close range, but patrol is not issued breaching rounds, here; I would use buck for breaching. Planned breaching is not a patrol function, here, anyway; I would only breach in a life-or-death emergency, such as an active homicide-in-progress, in which the risk of using buckshot for breaching is the lesser of two evils.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-14-2017 at 08:56 PM.

User Tag List