Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Phasing out shotguns?

Our shotguns are strictly less lethal for patrol. SWAT has them for breaching and less lethal. We had Benellis for SWAT but the current commander wants everyone carrying M4s so the MP5 they have left are sitting in the armory with the Benellis.

I'd love to have a 14" 870 with a light as a cover weapon when searching yards with another Handler working his dog.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I bet a win/win trade could be worked out, where departments send their unloved pump shotguns to rural Alaska, and Alaskans send a G43 in trade.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Boy...431983873.html
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I bet a win/win trade could be worked out, where departments send their unloved pump shotguns to rural Alaska, and Alaskans send a G43 in trade.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Boy...431983873.html
    And your poor neighbors to the south would be happy to do that as well. I'll even buy them a Keeper Errand holster, benevolent fellow that I am.

Our shotguns all went LTL almost 15 years ago as soon as every car had a rifle in it. Didn't agree then, don't agree now but I doubt it changes. I'm a firm believer in a good shotgun with appropriate ammo. Only swat qualifies w buck or slugs now. And we didn't up til a couple years ago when we dealt with a crazy guy who had some big exotic cats (lions and such). When I worked dope I got them to approve me carrying a SBS we had in my unmarked since we did a lot of stuff around vehicles.

I'd carry a personal owned shotgun if they'd let me.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

We still have SGs (14" Mossberg 500s) as our primary long arm. Even though we work for DoD, rifles are still few and far between (though we carry them on deployments - go figure).

I'm bipolar on the issue. On the one hand, the 500s are heavy, low capacity, slow to reload, non-ergonomic (standard stocks are WAY too long even for gorillas like me), have just the single bead sight in front, and all of our issued ammo is full powered 00 buck or slug. Patterning these SGs at 15 yards shows you have to aim about diaphragm high to have any chance of keeping MOST of the pellets on the silhouette - if you aim where I teach you to with a rifle, SMG or handgun, you're going to through a lot of pellets high off target, unless you REALLY get behind the SG and know how to run it. Recoil is heavy, to say the least. This side of me wishes they'd go away, because, frankly, the overwhelming majority of our agents shoot 15 rounds through them twice a year, fail the qualification, and go on record as "familiarized" - meaning they can't operationally deploy the darned thing anyway. The usual arguments carry weight, the AR is easier to shoot more accurately, at greater distance, with more capacity and faster reloads, better ergonomics, better sighting options, etc, etc.

The other side of me recognizes just how devastatingly effective a SG is at close-moderate ranges in the hands of a capable shooter, and never wants to see them go away. Like TGS, I'm convinced if we went to a shorter stock and Flitecontrol 00 and slugs, not only would more people qualify, but more people would actually want to train with the SGs. But, last time I made those suggestions most of the decision makers (including a lot of FIs) looked at me like I had a penis growing out of my forehead, and rapidly moved on to less "outlandish" suggestions (like approving Taurus handguns and .40 S&W 1911s for personal weapons carry).

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    We still have SGs (14" Mossberg 500s) as our primary long arm. Even though we work for DoD, rifles are still few and far between (though we carry them on deployments - go figure).

I'm bipolar on the issue. On the one hand, the 500s are heavy, low capacity, slow to reload, non-ergonomic (standard stocks are WAY too long even for gorillas like me), have just the single bead sight in front, and all of our issued ammo is full powered 00 buck or slug. Patterning these SGs at 15 yards shows you have to aim about diaphragm high to have any chance of keeping MOST of the pellets on the silhouette - if you aim where I teach you to with a rifle, SMG or handgun, you're going to through a lot of pellets high off target, unless you REALLY get behind the SG and know how to run it. Recoil is heavy, to say the least. This side of me wishes they'd go away, because, frankly, the overwhelming majority of our agents shoot 15 rounds through them twice a year, fail the qualification, and go on record as "familiarized" - meaning they can't operationally deploy the darned thing anyway. The usual arguments carry weight, the AR is easier to shoot more accurately, at greater distance, with more capacity and faster reloads, better ergonomics, better sighting options, etc, etc.

The other side of me recognizes just how devastatingly effective a SG is at close-moderate ranges in the hands of a capable shooter, and never wants to see them go away. Like TGS, I'm convinced if we went to a shorter stock and Flitecontrol 00 and slugs, not only would more people qualify, but more people would actually want to train with the SGs. But, last time I made those suggestions most of the decision makers (including a lot of FIs) looked at me like I had a penis growing out of my forehead, and rapidly moved on to less "outlandish" suggestions (like approving Taurus handguns and .40 S&W 1911s for personal weapons carry).
    We have slugs, but aren't allowed to use them stateside.

During the academy you shoot a little over 50 slugs in one sitting, which was sort of brutal because we use saddles to carry spare ammo on the stock.....and they tear your cheek up pretty well with a full power slug.

The bead sights don't help with slugs, either. Our qual is 5 rounds 00 buck at 7 and 15 yards, shoot 4 from the tube and combat reload + fire the 5th round. You need a certain amount of pellets to be on the bad dude in order to qual......if you throw a whole shell, you pretty much fail. What is your qual and how are people failing?
    Last edited by TGS; 07-01-2017 at 08:54 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Just rub it in why don't ya.

When I read that, all I could think of is isn't this what rock salt loads are for?

When I started the only long guns allowed were shotguns. A couple of years went buy and we were issued 870s. We shot those guns at qual and trained with them lots. I got very comfortable with loading, transitioning rounds and overall running the gat accurately at decent speed.
    One time I drew a smiley face on the head of a target at 50 yards with Federal slugs out of my issued 18" 870. That was my favorite shotgun of all time and deployed it every single chance I got.
    Now I have a 14" 870 with surefire forend. I am waiting on a youth stock for it to replace the turd of some collapsible abomination that was on it when issued to me. I have had other 14" 870s and they are pretty nice.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Don't forget to answer in the form of a question...
    Last edited by Jason M; 07-01-2017 at 11:50 PM.

User Tag List