Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Applied to be an Officer

Applied to be an Officer

So I stumbled upon a craigslist listing for a police officer position in a quaint little town in the middle of super safe New Hampshire. As someone who has exactly no professional background with firearms, the military or law enforcement and has spent the last 10 years doodling and printing pictures for a paycheck, what do you guys put my odds at?
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Site Supporter
    All of us were non officers before being officers, so you can get hired.

If you live in the four corners why apply for a job in New Hampshire?

I have two answers for you...........

1) Good luck, you have the same chance as anyone else.

2) Turn around and run while you still can. Find a good friend who'll agree to sock you in the mouth the next time you're tempted to become a cop.

Pick the one you prefer.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-12-2017 at 07:35 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    All of us were non officers before being officers, so you can get hired.

If you live in the four corners why apply for a job in New Hampshire?
    NH is my home state and I'm moving back end of the month-mid august latest, I was sewing the fields with resumes when I stumbled upon the listing. It's been a decade since I've resided there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I have to answers for you...........

1) Good luck, you have the same chance as anyone else.

2) Turn around and run while you still can. Find a good friend who'll agree to sock you in the mouth the next time you're tempted to become a cop.

Pick the one you prefer.
    I think I would be a pretty shit beat cop, but I'm willing to try. Cubicles fucking suck in the prime of your life.....
    Last edited by SsevenN; 07-12-2017 at 07:27 PM.

The odds of you being hired?

Pretty high if that town is like anywhere else in the United States. The hiring pool is very shallow and there are fewer people willing to do this job anymore. You will be fine so long as you gave the basic personal skills to interview and have a clean ish record.

The odds of you being happy?

Haha. It all depends on how much crap you can put up with. Smaller agencies can be very political.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    The odds of you being hired?

Pretty high if that town is like anywhere else in the United States. The hiring pool is very shallow and there are fewer people willing to do this job anymore. You will be fine so long as you gave the basic personal skills to interview and have a clean ish record.

The odds of you being happy?

Haha. It all depends on how much crap you can put up with. Smaller agencies can be very political.
    Thanks for the feedback. So if I was to continue to apply at different PDs, should there be a certain direction in my cover letter/resume?

I edited one of my existing resumes and whipped up a quick cover letter this afternoon, I feel like the only points I made were: "I have no experience in any of this but I want work with more meaning and I'm a student of self defense with the pistol, also I'm not out of shape yet."

Site Supporter
    CBP is hiring OFOs and I think there are ports in VT that have openings. Good money and decent retirement.

My recommendation would be to find a decent sized agency where you will get good training and experience. Preferably in a pro police area (yes they still exist). I don't mean you have to go to an agency with 500 officers, but a place that gets enough calls and that has a good amount of competent personnel. Do ride alongs if you can.

Also the most important equipment are a good flash light, pen/notepad, and good gloves. Oh and a closed mouth and open ears.....I've been guilty of violating that and it took me too long to learn to shut up and listen.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 07-12-2017 at 07:53 PM.

I’m going to say your chances are almost zero. “Quaint little super safe towns” are the places that officers from bigger not as safe cities are moving too.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Holy shit, that would be awesome, guard mother liberty from those nefarious Leafs and their bagged milk and french accents.

Non-Leo, former military MP. But I'm sure that the LEO guys will agree with me here...

It's a game. You go do your job and you're going to put up with a lot of bullshit while you go about it. I mean from your coworkers and leadership. At some point you're going to have to deal with some BS and try to work with it just because it's the job. As long as it isn't going to cost you your life, let it go. It might make things harder, but its just the nature of it. Out of touch leadership is almost a given.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 07-12-2017 at 08:32 PM.

User Tag List