Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phasing out shotguns?

Phasing out shotguns?

How many of y'all's departments are doing this?

Most every officer at my 250-sworn now has an AR.

So we're now telling officers at yearly in-service they can just turn SGs in if they like and the armory is filling up!

This is also being done in order to possibly fund issued G43 BUGs, which may be a good thing as majority of our Millenials and NDPs don't carry BUG or OD! The same people who whine about the 10-rd. yearly 12-ga. "qual"!

I'm holding onto my 12.5-in. 870P until they force me turn it in!

Love my issued Commando, but 870 is a power tool this old fart wants handy!
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 07-01-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Don't they still keep some around for breaching or is that technique going the way of the dodo?

(I always wanted to keep an 870 regardless of whatever else I was assigned.)
    Last edited by blues; 07-01-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

We go through phases. Sometimes we turn ours in and sometimes we get them back. Depends on what the flavor of the month is for the brass.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Our SGs have been phased out for the traditional "fighting" role. Several remain for LL (beanbags) and breaching. The standard fighting long gun is the rifle. However, we are an agency that permits privately owned guns to be used on duty. Qualification is required. Two officers qualify with SG in addition to their rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Our SGs have been phased out for the traditional "fighting" role. Several remain for LL (beanbags) and breaching. The standard fighting long gun is the rifle. However, we are an agency that permits privately owned guns to be used on duty. Qualification is required. Two officers qualify with SG in addition to their rifles.
    Just rub it in why don't ya.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Our SWAT team has a breacher using Benelli M4 shorty.

But they also did a class on using breaching charges recently.

Prolly be down to 80 percent of 870s turned in by this time next year. So should be couple hundred trade-ins available before long.

I bought my traded in 20-in. RS Wingmaster from Narcotics days several years ago. Have been waiting nearly year for NFA approval of SBS form for it, otherwise I'd buy one of these babies.
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 07-01-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

AZ DPS got rid of their patrol shotguns 5-6 years ago. Only SWAT has them now AFAIK.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

We got away from the long gun in every car mindset a long time ago. I don't have an issue phasing out shotguns for rifles, but we have a lot of guys that are passing up shotguns and not carrying any long gun.

We have a lot of nonsense floating around about how useless shotguns are in gunfights, and we have a lot of officers that would rather go with nothing than have a shotgun.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

LSP allows troopers to turn them in since everyone has a rifle also. I do dearly love a 14" 870. I'm not sure what percentage have turned them in, buts its high.

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    How many of y'all's departments are doing this?

Most every officer at my 250-sworn now has an AR.

So we're now telling officers at yearly in-service they can just turn SGs in if they like and the armory is filling up!

This is also being done in order to possibly fund issued G43 BUGs, which may be a good thing as majority of our Millenials and NDPs don't carry BUG or OD! The same people who whine about the 10-rd. yearly 12-ga. "qual"!

I'm holding onto my 12.5-in. 870P until they force me turn it in!

Love my issued Commando, but 870 is a power tool this old fart wants handy!
    Less lethal only around me, primarily CTS Super Socks, lethal ammo has been gone for years. For a period of time, some got rid of the SGs altogether until bags became more mainstream. As a lethal tool, the shotgun sucked resources better spent on HG and rifle. I recognize and appreciate the merits of the SG, but the cost:benefit was not there. I was a leading proponent of the change.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List