Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tavor 7 in .308 Announced

As I was moving my X95 to the front of the safe tonight, I got to thinking - did anyone here end up with a Tavor 7? They are very appealing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    As I was moving my X95 to the front of the safe tonight, I got to thinking - did anyone here end up with a Tavor 7? They are very appealing.
    I got one last year and still haven't shot it yet. I bought it for the cool factor with no real role for it and I haven't decided on optics yet. It currently sits in the back of the safe as one of my rainy day projects. I do have a bunch of hogs on my property that need killing, I guess there's always that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have had one for a while now. I will probably do up a little video on it once I get over what ever crud I have.

Pros

1. 7.62. Serious round. Also very available around here during the various panics.
    2. Very Compact. Sitting one of these next to my SCAR-17 you really get an idea how handy this gun is.
    3. Very Reliable. I have shot 500+ rounds (I'll check my log) and I don't recall a single malfunction. I have mainly run Federal White box/surplus 147 FMJ. The cheapest brass around here.
    4. It really could be a do it all gun. It could be run in CQB mode and you would have zero concern about being able to cure whatever problem you have. Further, it is capable of penetrating barriers at very long distances. Just a mean machine.
    5. Runs perfectly with my SOCOM suppressor.
    6. It has an AWESOME gas cut off feature that turns session shooting subsonic .308 into giggle fits. It is incredibly quiet.

CONS

1. Just not notably accurate. It's a 3moa gun with cheap FMJ using ain Aimpoint m5 with Magnifier. Is that bad? Not really. Honestly I should put a LPVO on top of it and run it off a few bags. My guess is it will shoot 1.5-2 with good Match ammo. Totally acceptable. I will say, I can shoot MOA with my Scar-17 with 175gr and 3.5VCOG so I know it isn't totally me. That being said, this gun is amazing for wailing on 10 inch plates out to 250 yards (which is the longest range I have on my property).
    2. Non standard Manual of arms. This is totally on me. I always get weirded out when doing mag swaps and stuff like that. Again, I need practice.
    3. HEAVY. I know, I know, bull pups shift the weight back so it isn't a big deal. Yes, when shooting the gun is practically speaking, much lighter than advertised. But carrying this. gun gets old. My bench is about 400 yards from my house and if I walk down to the range I start understanding fast why people complain about heavy guns (plus I am a 48 year old fatty)

General thoughts. Basically, it is a totally modern version of the classic battle rifle. It isn't a DMR rifle, but it is a totally reliable mega-hard hitting gun that can be used in any practical situation a normal person might need a rifle. Honestly, the only thing I wish they could figure out is how to cut the weight. I feel like if this thing was about 8 pounds it would be perfect. If you get one you should propably select accessories carefully. This thing is perfect with an Aimpoint or Holosun. Then you can keep a magnifier for trying long shots. Select a lightweight system and I probably would even try to save weight by running a simple, smaller light up front.

Any updates ? Thanks.

User Tag List