Tavor 7 in .308 Announced

TAVOR 7
    Name:  IMG_0055.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  22.1 KB

Specifications:
    • Caliber: 7.62 NATO/.308 Win
    • Barrel: CHF/CL 1:12 twist with a 16" barrel; 1:10 with 18" barrel
    • OAL: 26.75" with 16" barrel (without flash suppressor)
    • Weight: 8.6 Lbs.
    • Optional calibers & Conversion Kits: TBD
    • Colors: Black, FDE and OD Green

Features (muzzle to butt):
    • Muzzle threads: 5/8 x 24
    • 4 position variable gas regulator (including off)
    • Upper forend: 2 MLOK slots at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock
    • Lower forend: Removable SAR styled forend cover that exposes one integral pic rail at 6 o'clock when removed.
    • Charging handle lockable in open position, similar to an MP5.
    • Full length one piece Picatinny (Mil-Spec) top rail with integral folding BUIS; Tritium front post.
    • Cutlass style grip modifiable to pistol grip with traditional trigger guard; same as X95.
    • Short stroke gas piston (unlike our long stroke SAR and X95).
    • Uses LR/SR25 magazines and comes with one 20-round Magpul PMAG with window (in states without capacity restrictions; 10 round for restricted states).
    • Bolt release is Tavor SAR style along centerline or release from MP5 style charging handle
    • Fire control group is not interchangeable with SAR or X95.

Ambidextrous Features:
    • Ambidextrous bolt; no opposite hand bolt needed for conversion to opposite hand operation. No need to return the gun to IWI US for opposite hand conversion and head space checking.
    • Ambidextrous (all the time) magazine release position like our X95, similar to an AR-15.
    • Ambidextrous charging handle with push through receiver functionality. No need for tools or any disassembly.
    • Ambidextrous (all the time) safety selector with a 450 rotation (unlike 900 on our SAR and X95).
    • Ambidextrous (all the time) bolt release behind magazine; similar to the Tavor SAR.
    • Ejection port covers are user configurable in the field with a simple slide of the case deflector.

Launch Date: First shipments projected to start in January, 2018.

Price: TBD
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

A couple of thoughts:

1) This is a big shot across Desert Tech's bow. IWI has a much bigger production capacity and can crank out Tavor's at a dizzying rate. The MDR will be in big trouble unless it is released very soon...

2) I like the ambi features: bolt, push through charging handle similar to the Beretta ARX, etc.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-01-2017 at 09:58 AM.

I'll be buying one.

I would like to see some of those changes, like the charging handle, transferred over to the 5.56mm guns.

This makes me moist.

Unlike when I bought the OG Tavor I'll wait for a year or so after release so the price comes down a bit but I very much want one.

Site Supporter
    I hadn't thought about that when I first saw the announcement. I got to play with the MDR at SHOT this year, and I like the ejection a lot as a lefty, but like you said, if they can't step up and start producing them, all the R&D is going to be a waste if everyone moves to another company that can actually produce rifles in volume.

I have never thought twice about Tavors, but this interests me a lot.

Curious about the reasoning behind the 1-12", why not just go 1-10 across the board? Additionally the MDR looks like a bad ass concept but that's all it seems to be. I've had the chance to run a DTA covert and was extremely impressed, they seem to make a good product. I would be interesting to see the MDR come to fruition, if it manages to offer the accuracy of the covert I shot it would give anything in that arena a run for it's money. As for the Tavor, I had a SAR B-18/18B or whatever in 5.56 and it was a decent gun, looking forward to see how this fairs in .308 more so if it forces DTA to move their asses.
    Last edited by Mike C; 07-01-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    I never wanted a tavor but this has potential

These are a showing up on GunBroker. Starting bids around $2K.

User Tag List