Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobucket is INSANE

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    $400 a year for this is insane to me, do you think that's a good price and do you think that's a good price to announce with zero warning?
    A good price? Depends on what Photobucket is trying to do. If they're trying to force people to stop using them for hotlinking, and trying to squeeze dollars out of people that are absolutely invested in them for hotlinking, due to pre-existing infrastructure, then it might work. As for zero warning, like I said, a poor idea, but doesn't make them straight up insane.

Or just use imgur....which is free...

Make an account, change settings to have all images hidden by default.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    A good price? Depends on what Photobucket is trying to do. If they're trying to force people to stop using them for hotlinking, and trying to squeeze dollars out of people that are absolutely invested in them for hotlinking, due to pre-existing infrastructure, then it might work. As for zero warning, like I said, a poor idea, but doesn't make them straight up insane.
    I think completely alienating mostly of their user base with no warning and being unreasonable about their pricing is insane. Insane as in bad for the business. Insane as in "a lesson in how not to do things."
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I think completely alienating mostly of their user base with no warning and being unreasonable about their pricing is insane. Insane as in bad for the business. Insane as in "a lesson in how not to do things."
    Most of their user base? What, the leeches that hotlink and bring little to no revenue for Photobucket? I mean, it's not like you can't share your photos still; you simply can't embed them on other sites without paying. Again, I think you're looking at it the wrong way; they may very well want to get out of hotlinking for the most part, except for corporate hosting. Realistically, how many people would even pay 40 USD a year for hotlinking privileges, when there's a plethora of sites that are able to host images for free (imgur, Flickr, TinyPic, PostImage, etc.)?

Maybe they are insane, and did this on a whim, expecting folks to cough up 400 USD to continue to hotlink. But I suspect otherwise.

It's been a while but when I had a paid account for hosting images, it was with FotoTime and they were excellent. But having no recent experience I can only allude to how they handled the site and the reasonable cost in the past.
    Last edited by blues; 06-30-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Most of their user base? What, the leeches that hotlink and bring little to no revenue for Photobucket? I mean, it's not like you can't share your photos still; you simply can't embed them on other sites without paying. Again, I think you're looking at it the wrong way; they may very well want to get out of hotlinking for the most part, except for corporate hosting. Realistically, how many people would even pay 40 USD a year for hotlinking privileges, when there's a plethora of sites that are able to host images for free (imgur, Flickr, TinyPic, PostImage, etc.)?

Maybe they are insane, and did this on a whim, expecting folks to cough up 400 USD to continue to hotlink. But I suspect otherwise.
    I think the literal millions of users they just completely alienated would not have been alienated by half, one third, a quarter of what they demanded; especially in a less dramatic manner. Photobucket as a website in of itself has been getting worse and worse over the years, and their service is truly awful; they would have to have a completely different user experience for me to consider paying for their service. You see "leeches," I see "millions of people whom might have bought a reasonably priced service." It's not like Photobucket stands alone in the market either, they have many better, cheaper, and better and cheaper competitors. We'll see on how this shakes out, I'm betting that the company goes under in the next year or so. I mean, who the fuck wants to pay more for Photobucket over the comparatively paltry cost of buying your own domain/webhosting.
    #RESIST

At the moment my links are still good but I downloaded my stuff last night for the eventuality of it happening. Maybe I will start looking for new hosting this weekend.

I've used photobucket since 2004. $400 year is crazy. Guess I'll be looking elsewhere.

You could get your own web site and host all of your own photos for around $120 a month; photobucket is smoking crack.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Haha yeah 120 a month is what I meant, I too use dreamhost and they provide pretty good service

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Tag List