Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobucket is INSANE

Photobucket is INSANE

With no warning, they've disabled hot linking to images hosted on accounts with their company. To reenable hot linking, you must pay four hundred dollars a year. I downloaded my stuff from photo bucket and am uploading it to Google Drive ($2 a month for 100 gigs).

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/ph...s-the-internet
    #RESIST

The pop ups alone made me say "adios" (that means goodbye in Spanish Lil Lebo) awhile ago.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I just got the same message last night. Glad Tom has increased storage, so we can direct upload photos to the forum.

Photobucket really went downhill over the last year.

The pop ups alone made me say "adios" (that means goodbye in Spanish Lil Lebo) awhile ago.
    Or in the possibly more appropriate pseudo Italian...va fongool.
    Last edited by blues; 06-30-2017 at 01:51 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Why are they insane? They gotta make money somehow, and your photos aren't deleted or anything. Hotlinking gives the hosting company no revenue. Yeah, it's a dick move to do it without warning, but come on, they were providing a free (more or less) service to begin with.

And there's a bazillion different other free picture hosting places out there. I honestly think attachments via the forum itself is a pretty shit way to get photos hosted. It really isn't that hard to figure out how to use BBCode.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 06-30-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    $400 a year is nuts. Make that low double digits and it wouldn't be unreasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    The reason I prefer it it, and we offer it, is because typically with external hosting the resources just go away after a year or two (either due to people moving things around, or moving to a different provider, or settings changing, etc.) and picture threads and whatnot end up with nothing but a bunch of broken image links.
    It is mich appreciated. It is extremely annoying to dig up old threads with images people are referencing and have no idea what they are talking about.

I left photobucket years ago because of their increasing nonsense, and semi-rolled-my-own gallery setup (using a program called TinyWebGallery.) Wondering if there isn't a market for setting up something like that for people.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Why are they insane? They gotta make money somehow, and your photos aren't deleted or anything. Hotlinking gives the hosting company no revenue. Yeah, it's a dick move to do it without warning, but come on, they were providing a free (more or less) service to begin with.

And there's a bazillion different other free picture hosting places out there. I honestly think attachments via the forum itself is a pretty shit way to get photos hosted. It really isn't that hard to figure out how to use BBCode.
    $400 a year for this is insane to me, do you think that's a good price and do you think that's a good price to announce with zero warning?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    $400 a year for this is insane to me, do you think that's a good price and do you think that's a good price to announce with zero warning?
    LOL. A 2 year subscription to satellite radio is only $365. That is a system that brings me music and Howard Stern wherever I'm at... $400 a year to store pictures is outrageous.

User Tag List