Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 223: Micro FAST

Week 223: Micro FAST

Week 223: Micro FAST

Results may be posted until July 30th, 2017.

Designed by: Original by Todd Louis Green, variation by Gabe White
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: 2" circle and 3x5 card - download 2" circles here (you really only need one 2" circle): http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...in-circles.pdf
    Start position: concealed, hands relaxed at sides (see below for alternatives)
    Rounds fired: 18

This variation of the FAST is intended to push hard in the accuracy direction while maintaining at least a general time pressure. It's just like the FAST, except we are using a 2" circle for the head target, and a vertical 3x5 for the body target. If you are not able to hit these targets at 7 yards, then use a closer distance and report it in the results.

Pistol begins with exactly two rounds in the gun. Draw should be from underneath legitimate concealment (see below for alternatives). Arms must be relaxed with hands at your sides (not on the gun).

1. On the buzzer, draw and fire two rounds at the 2" circle.
    2. Reload from slidelock/empty gun.
    3. Fire four rounds to the 3x5 card.

Repeat for a total of three runs (18 rounds).

Do not fire extra rounds. Shots intended for the 2" circle that hit the 3x5, or vice versa, count as misses.

Scoring is as follows:

Total time + 2s penalty for each 2" circle shot missed, + 1s penalty for each 3x5 shot missed

The FAST is intended to be shot from legitimate concealment or with a duty/retention holster. Even when shot with a duty holster, start position is arms at sides (not "interview" stance). Score is modified as follows based on carry method:

Concealed: no penalty

Retention holster with closed (snap or velcro) mag pouches: 0.5 second bonus (subtraction) per 6-shot run

Retention holster with open top mag pouches: no penalty or bonus

ALS, SERPA, or Thumb Drive (or similar) holster without concealment: 0.5 second penalty (addition) per 6-shot run

Open top holster without concealment: 3 second penalty (addition) per 6-shot run

If your range does not allow drawing from a holster, begin with the gun on a table with no round in the chamber (two in the magazine). On the start signal, pick up the gun, rack the slide, and shoot the drill. Reload from underneath concealment.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Starting position (concealed, duty, open holster, or table start)
    Type of holster (if applicable)
    Any variation you used (distance other than 7 yards)
    Time and hits for string 1
    Time and hits for string 2
    Time and hits for string 3
    Aggregate score
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Glock 17 gen 3 chopped and stippled, ny1& (-) connector
    Concealed in a mastermind tactics aiwb under a polo

Run 1 - 8.21 clean 2.52, .88, 3.24, .56, .52, .49

Run 2 - 9.39 corrected time/ 7.39 raw time 2.25, .98, 2.86, .51, .39, .4

Run 3 - 10.81 corrected time/ 6.81 raw time 2.24, .92, 2.42, .46, .4, .37

Aggregate 28.41

I fouled the draw a bit on the first run and totally f'd the reload but i was happy that i took my time and got solid hits. Unfortunately it went downhill from there. The next run i felt like i cleaned up the draw, but i threw the shot right. The rest of the run felt good, cleaning up the reload a bit(though still not as good as it could have been) and getting hits albeit one close call. The final run was just a plain shit show. Missed the draw shot, solid reload but pulled two left of the card.

I wasn't consciously trying to go faster with each run but it felt more smooth as i progressed, even though i was calling good his through my sights i was wrong and got progressively worse with speed. It was fun and I'm going to do it again. I'll also post more thoughts on my journal later as i get time.

Name:  20170703_141748.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  55.8 KB
    Run 1

Name:  20170703_142142.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  61.7 KB
    Run 2

Name:  20170703_142510.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  72.0 KB
    Run 3

YUCK!
    G43 with CT Laserguard. Fricke AIWB t shirt concealment.
    1) 10.13
    2) 10.98
    3) 10.92
    Total 32.03

I shot some 2 inch circles first to see what my POI was with the laser at 7 yards. I had to aim just below the circle to get good hits. Not exactly intuitive. I didn't think of it until later but I should have ran through it with the laser off using the sights as well. One thing the laser has no effect on is the reloads. My grip interferes with the mag falling free so that definitely slows things down. For me, it is pretty tough to consider this gun for primary carry. It works so well for mild NPE's it is tough to give up.
    Last edited by MVS; 07-04-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Man, I've been on a bit of a shooting hiatus, but I gotta get me some microFAST in, hurry up weekend...
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Starting position (concealed, Sig229)
    Type of holster (AIWB)
    Time and hits for string 1: 12.85
    Time and hits for string 2: 10.79
    Time and hits for string 3: 9.10 Clean
    Aggregate score: 32.74
    Anything you noticed: This is a hard drill! I need to run this again with some sort of game plan, either go fast or go slow. What I did sucked. I missed both head shots on the first string, peaked at the target (I know), knew I missed and had a slower than usual reload. Missed a head shot on the second string also. Thanks for posting this!
    Name:  Micro FAST.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  52.6 KB

I think that this level of accuracy requirement (2" circle at 7 yards) gets it into territory where a lot of shooters in general wouldn't be able to reliably shoot it clean without any time pressure at all. With any time pressure present, it's much, much harder. And way harder again when we have concepts of time that come from the regular FAST.
    Lord of the Food Court

Starting position: Concealed (polo shirt)
    Type of holster: Keeper, AIWB
    Any variation you used (distance other than 7 yards): Standard 7 yard distance
    Time and hits for string 1: 6.82 (4.82 -1H): 1.26, .57 / 1.99 / .33, .35, .32
    Time and hits for string 2: 5.09 (clean): 1.33, .60 / 2.09 / .38, .33, .36
    Time and hits for string 3: 5.24 (clean): 1.37, .73 / 2.10 / .37, .33, .34
    Aggregate score: 17.15

[img]20170705_174341 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]

Anything you noticed: It really is hard to ignore the time pressure and shoot this precisely, especially if emotionally attached to time concepts originated in the regular FAST. I felt pretty good about those runs, but they only made me want to address it more intensely. I shot one more with that manner in mind: 6.39 (4.39 -1H): 1.19, .44 / 1.90 / .29, .28, .29.
    Lord of the Food Court

It takes people 3 seconds to clear a concealment garment? That's a huge penalty
    Last edited by Peally; 07-06-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Starting position: Concealed under T-shirt
    Type of holster: Bawidamann Gotham AIWB
    Any variation you used: Circle was to side of the card instead of above since it was already a target I had on hand.
    Time and hits for string 1: 9.74 +2 +1 12.74
    Time and hits for string 2: 10.33 Clean
    Time and hits for string 3: 9.3 Clean
    Aggregate score: 32.37

Last edited by Xhado; 07-08-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Starting position (concealed, duty, open holster, or table start) AIWB
    Type of holster (if applicable) KSG Custom
    Any variation you used (distance other than 7 yards) None
    Time and hits for string 1 7.73 Clean
    Time and hits for string 2 7.76 Clean
    Time and hits for string 3 7.70 + 2
    Aggregate score 25.19
    Anything you noticed This represents some of the best shooting I've ever done IMHO

"I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

User Tag List