Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 duty rig setups?

When I still carried one (the 20 year run ended in '10), I went through a series of holsters and magazines pouches. In leather, black basket weave, it was a Ted Blocker holster and two open top Bianchi mag pouches, one of either side of the belt buckle. The last set-up I used was a Safariland SLS holster for a 1911 w/frame rail and a SF light; used an Eagle Ind open top, kydex lined three mag pouch.

I carry blued 8 round Wilson Combat ETMs. I had ten rounders in the belt pouch and they felt too long as it felt like my pouches got in the way during reloads. I lost some rounds but they're easier to grab. I went to blued mags so they blended in better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Do they make Safariland 7TS models? I'd look into getting one of those for duty, it's lighter and better than the standard 6000-series safariland offers.
    I tried one for my G17 (no light) and found that the 7TS was a tad shorter than the 6360. It allowed my muzzle to contact various things when sitting. I returned it and went with the 6360. This was a few years ago; safariland may have fixed this issue, or it may not be an issue with another pistol. A 7TS with a light would also negate this.

I have Tripp Cobra Melonite 8rd Mags, never a problem.

OP, which WC 1911 are you fixin' to carry?

I have a Wilson full size CQB Elite, 45acp.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    OP, which WC 1911 are you fixin' to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post
    I have a Wilson full size CQB Elite, 45acp.
    Love the "FM 1911" photo too, btw.

My duty holster for the 1911 is a Safariland 6360. It is presently mounted on my older duty belt, with an old-school open-top Tex Shoemaker double mag pouch, which is a technical violation of policy, as it is without cover flaps, but with the number of fatal shootings of LEOs in the USA recently, including many near us in Texas and Louisiana, the command staff has been tolerating open-top ammunition carrying devices.

My newer duty belt is set-up for Glocks, and is the one I usually wear, with a compact G19 in the G34 holster, now that we drive MBUV patrol vehicles. (An MBUV is a Make-Believe Utility Vehicle, the Ford Explorer-based Police Inhibitor, a compact station wagon with less room in the front seat area than a Honda Civic.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-01-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Try again:

Site Supporter
    When I ran a 1911 I used both G-code and Blade-Tech WRS holsters. Really liked them, preferring the WRS. Kimber Warrior, CT Laser Grips(more useful for teaching than patrol), X200. I ran Tripp Cobra Mags, 8 rounds, which had the odd habit of disassembling themselves when they hit the deck about 15-25% of the time. No heartburn, because they were empty, and I never lost a component. Now that I have carried an ALS on duty, I would look for one of those if I were going down the 1911 rabbit hole again.

I used to run CMC mags, and I never had trouble with the 8 rounders. But twice while I was shooting feed lip spread caused the 10 rounders to really lock up my gun, where tools were needed to disassemble. The top round was forced through the feed lips far enough that it was wedged in them, not allowing the slide forward, and the feed lips were far enough apart that the mag was stuck in the gun. One time it was pushed far enough forward the nose of the round was in the feed ramp and the case was stuck in the feed lips. Fixing it required a slotted screw driver behind the live round to push it forward until it could be removed or flipped nose up where the feed lips expanded and then the magazine could be removed. I not only stopped carrying 10 rounders then, but everyone on my department with a 1911 has seen the pics, and the malfunctions came on without warning.

pat

User Tag List